Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if I sound like a giddy school girl. After months of listening to video clips, friends' cars, and reading endless opinions, (and experimenting with resonator removal) I pulled the trigger on the Pypes Violator Cat-Back system for my 2010 R/T Classic 6spd. I am absolutely thrilled with the result. At idle, the car has a nice low big-block gurgle that is only slightly louder than stock. It will definitely pass the wife and neighbor test at idle. Gone is the factory hiss at idle that always sounded to me like the engine was trying to breathe through a cotton stuffed straw. Gone is the low rpm deceleration drone that occurred with the resonator deletes.

In the low rpm range, it sound muscular without being obnoxious. However, if you hammer the loud pedal it screams like a banshee. Now ... that wide open sound, I find to be old school muscle car ... kind of reminds me of the sound of the Bullitt Mustang in the classic movie or the sound of the General in the original Dukes series. It has a hint of "Cherry Bomb/Glass Pack rasp at WOT, which I like. In certain gears and rpm ranges, you get a nice snap crackle pop or gurgle on decel which I also like. But this is not at lower rpms.

There is absolutely no drone or resonance of any kind in the interior ... windows up ... windows down ... accelerate ... cruise ... decelerate ... etc.

You can cruise around without setting off any alarm bells or alerting the police of your presence. However, at WOT ... you'd better be sure you are not within earshot of those who would frown on "spirited" driving, which brings me to my next points ...

A couple of bonus observations that surprised me a little. First, the car seems to rev quicker. I have no way to measure this, but I would lay money that the rpms come up quicker off idle and blip up to the redline quick. Second, the butt dyno says the car is quicker throughout the rpm range. My only mods are Mopar CAI, a tune, a shifter and the Pypes. The butt dyno says two tenths in the quarter ... but the brain says two tenths from just a cat back sounds unlikely ... unless the exhaust enables the CAI and tune to really come alive. I don't really care anyway.
Anyway ... I find the personality of the Pypes exhaust to hit my personal sonic sweet spot. You can't please
everyone, but this system hits all of my hot buttons.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Apologies in advance if I sound like a giddy school girl. After months of listening to video clips, friends' cars, and reading endless opinions, (and experimenting with resonator removal) I pulled the trigger on the Pypes Violator Cat-Back system for my 2010 R/T Classic 6spd. I am absolutely thrilled with the result. At idle, the car has a nice low big-block gurgle that is only slightly louder than stock. It will definitely pass the wife and neighbor test at idle. Gone is the factory hiss at idle that always sounded to me like the engine was trying to breathe through a cotton stuffed straw. Gone is the low rpm deceleration drone that occurred with the resonator deletes.

In the low rpm range, it sound muscular without being obnoxious. However, if you hammer the loud pedal it screams like a banshee. Now ... that wide open sound, I find to be old school muscle car ... kind of reminds me of the sound of the Bullitt Mustang in the classic movie or the sound of the General in the original Dukes series. It has a hint of "Cherry Bomb/Glass Pack rasp at WOT, which I like. In certain gears and rpm ranges, you get a nice snap crackle pop or gurgle on decel which I also like. But this is not at lower rpms.

There is absolutely no drone or resonance of any kind in the interior ... windows up ... windows down ... accelerate ... cruise ... decelerate ... etc.

You can cruise around without setting off any alarm bells or alerting the police of your presence. However, at WOT ... you'd better be sure you are not within earshot of those who would frown on "spirited" driving, which brings me to my next points ...

A couple of bonus observations that surprised me a little. First, the car seems to rev quicker. I have no way to measure this, but I would lay money that the rpms come up quicker off idle and blip up to the redline quick. Second, the butt dyno says the car is quicker throughout the rpm range. My only mods are Mopar CAI, a tune, a shifter and the Pypes. The butt dyno says two tenths in the quarter ... but the brain says two tenths from just a cat back sounds unlikely ... unless the exhaust enables the CAI and tune to really come alive. I don't really care anyway.
Anyway ... I find the personality of the Pypes exhaust to hit my personal sonic sweet spot. You can't please
everyone, but this system hits all of my hot buttons.
Thanks awesome! I am excited for you. I too have been considering Pypes, but am also considering Zoomers. Would you have any video of the exhaust yet? Did you consider Zoomers, as-well? Anyway, just curious! Enjoy the new sound, buddy!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congrats on finding a cat-back you like!!

There's not many out there that don't drone.

Reactions: HemiStig

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks awesome! I am excited for you. I too have been considering Pypes, but am also considering Zoomers. Would you have any video of the exhaust yet? Did you consider Zoomers, as-well? Anyway, just curious! Enjoy the new sound, buddy!
I did consider Zoomers. They were more expensive ... not ridiculously, but enough. I liked the sound of the Pypes better than the Zoomers (both are louder than Flowmasters or Magnaflows) personally. However, most people who have Zoomers seem very pleased with them. I've seen a handful that report some drone (a few people who like them implied that they noticed minimal "tolerable" drone).

It's difficult to say though, because some people define drone as increased cabin noise and may be mistaking normal increase in volume as drone. What I know to be drone is a very low frequency resonance that is disorienting to the ear. Almost like the sound that a subwoofer with a high level of harmonic distortion produces. An modest increase in interior volume wouldn't bug me ... but true drone is miserable.

Had an 89 Corvette with a set of Borla exhausts ... unbearable drone. (Not knocking Borla's ... great company, great products ... could have been that system was design for a stock application and just didn't work well with the mods on the Vette at the time).

I have yet to find anyone that has experienced drone from the Pypes Violators system (although a couple of people have mentioned that the Race Pro's and the Street Pros have some drone.

Interestingly, I talked to a salesperson at Pypes and he virtually guaranteed my satisfaction with the Violators ... said I would love them. He wouldn't say the same about the Race Pros or the Street Pros. There are some on this forum with Race Pros and Street Pros who love them.

Hope that helps. All of this is so subjective.

I will get some video of them (hopefully this weekend) ... but I have to tell you, of all the Pypes Violator videos, only one I've heard is close to the sound.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way ... in the interest of full disclosure. The quad tips provided by Pypes ... although nice enough ... stuck out too far from the bumper for my taste. I could have them sticking out less, but I would have had to cut the pipe and relocate the hanger (effectively welding onto the backside of the tip) to put it where I wanted it. So I decided to stick with the stock tips, which are pretty stealthy.

I'll probably sell the Pypes tips on the forum at some point. They sell for $175 by themselves. I could sell them for significantly less and then I would have comparatively little in my set-up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I did consider Zoomers. They were more expensive ... not ridiculously, but enough. I liked the sound of the Pypes better than the Zoomers (both are louder than Flowmasters or Magnaflows) personally. However, most people who have Zoomers seem very pleased with them. I've seen a handful that report some drone (a few people who like them implied that they noticed minimal "tolerable" drone).

It's difficult to say though, because some people define drone as increased cabin noise and may be mistaking normal increase in volume as drone. What I know to be drone is a very low frequency resonance that is disorienting to the ear. Almost like the sound that a subwoofer with a high level of harmonic distortion produces. An modest increase in interior volume wouldn't bug me ... but true drone is miserable.

Had an 89 Corvette with a set of Borla exhausts ... unbearable drone. (Not knocking Borla's ... great company, great products ... could have been that system was design for a stock application and just didn't work well with the mods on the Vette at the time).

I have yet to find anyone that has experienced drone from the Pypes Violators system (although a couple of people have mentioned that the Race Pro's and the Street Pros have some drone.

Interestingly, I talked to a salesperson at Pypes and he virtually guaranteed my satisfaction with the Violators ... said I would love them. He wouldn't say the same about the Race Pros or the Street Pros. There are some on this forum with Race Pros and Street Pros who love them.

I will get some video of them (hopefully this weekend) ... but I have to tell you, of all the Pypes Violator videos, only one I've heard is close to the sound. 2010 Challenger RT Pypes Violator - YouTube
Thanks for all of the information, buddy! It's very much appreciated! Guys like you make this site great!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was a big fan of the violators while nonstop searching for a catback. Every time I watched videos I always came back to the pypes because I thought the sounded the best (what I was looking for). I cooled off on them because I couldn't seem to find anybody with them recently and everyone was going with something else. I figured there had to be some reason nobody was choosing pypes so I stopped looking at them as an option. Based on what you said, I'm gonna put them back in the mix again. Be sure to post a vid when you get some time. Vids don't do exhaust systems justice but are definitely pure entertainment. I need to hit up some kind of mopar event as soon as my ride shows up at the dealer. Hearing exhaust in person is the only way IMO. By the way, when you had the reso delete, what did you not like about it. I was going to do that ASAP when I got the car but I'm a little nervous I won't like it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was a big fan of the violators while nonstop searching for a catback. Every time I watched videos I always came back to the pypes because I thought the sounded the best (what I was looking for). I cooled off on them because I couldn't seem to find anybody with them recently and everyone was going with something else. I figured there had to be some reason nobody was choosing pypes so I stopped looking at them as an option. Based on what you said, I'm gonna put them back in the mix again. Be sure to post a vid when you get some time. Vids don't do exhaust systems justice but are definitely pure entertainment. I need to hit up some kind of mopar event as soon as my ride shows up at the dealer. Hearing exhaust in person is the only way IMO. By the way, when you had the reso delete, what did you not like about it. I was going to do that ASAP when I got the car but I'm a little nervous I won't like it.
The reso delete was a slight improvement over stock in terms of volume, but it didn't change the timbre of the exhaust note. The increase was cool for 30 minutes, then I forgot it was there. It also had an odd acoustic characteristic that it would drone in gear, only on deceleration (thru a narrow rpm range). Those who say it doesn't drone are sort of right. It doesn't do the dreaded drone under load, but it was annoying enough that I started avoiding down shifting in certain gears and rpm ranges, plus it was no fun to decelerate in gear. I don't like having to alter my driving behavior to avoid the resonance (I've saw several people with certain exhaust systems that will say things like, "i't drones at x rpms, ... But I just shift around it.") I realized pretty quickly that the resos were there with the factory muffler for a reason.

Again, I add the caveat that the sounds I experienced were with my exact set-up ... Someone with more, less or different mods than I may have a markedly different experience.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Cool. Thank you for the info. Yeah as soon as I saw you had a tune and CAI I said to myself "crap it won't be the same". As for that video you posted, I found that a while ago and that's what had me on the pypes. As soon as I saw that vid I said "that's the sound I'm looking for"

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I had pypes violator and street pro. They sounded ok but were not the sound I was lookin for. They didn't last long on my car. The tips did stick out just like yours which was another turn off. They both droned. A lot of people have pypes systems that are happy with them. One thing about exhaust sound is the only one that has to be happy with them is the owner. You can't beat the price of pypes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. Thank you for the info. Yeah as soon as I saw you had a tune and CAI I said to myself "crap it won't be the same". As for that video you posted, I found that a while ago and that's what had me on the pypes. As soon as I saw that vid I said "that's the sound I'm looking for"
Yeah ... I wouldn't think the CAI would change the exhaust note. In fact, I'm not certain a tune would either, but I wouldn't bet money either way.

That video of the white R/T is sweet. I was relieved when mine sounded nearly identical.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had pypes violator and street pro. They sounded ok but were not the sound I was lookin for. They didn't last long on my car. The tips did stick out just like yours which was another turn off. They both droned. A lot of people have pypes systems that are happy with them. One thing about exhaust sound is the only one that has to be happy with them is the owner. You can't beat the price of pypes
I hear you on the tips. You're the first poster on 3 forums that I've heard say that the Violators droned. Is yours an auto or 6-speed? ... What year? (Just curious.) I guess that goes to show even though these cars are built on an assembly line, they have personalities. You are spot on that it's gotta be right for you. Which system did you end up being happy with?

There are some happy folks with Flowmasters, Magnaflows, Borla's, Corsa's, Solos, Zoomers, and Pypes (I'm sure I'm leaving some out). There are people who aren't fans of those brands. I was able to replicate the sound in the video ... So that turns my crank.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Yeah ... I wouldn't think the CAI would change the exhaust note. In fact, I'm not certain a tune would either, but I wouldn't bet money either way.

That video of the white R/T is sweet. I was relieved when mine sounded nearly identical.
A CAI will make it deeper, if you already have an aggressive aftermarket exhaust you won't really hear it. I can't really hear my AFE over my Zoomers.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts

I will get some video of them (hopefully this weekend) ... but I have to tell you, of all the Pypes Violator videos, only one I've heard is close to the sound. 2010 Challenger RT Pypes Violator - YouTube
Sounds very nice. How much does that system cost?

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I hear you on the tips. You're the first poster on 3 forums that I've heard say that the Violators droned. Is yours an auto or 6-speed? ... What year? (Just curious.) I guess that goes to show even though these cars are built on an assembly line, they have personalities. You are spot on that it's gotta be right for you. Which system did you end up being happy with?

There are some happy folks with Flowmasters, Magnaflows, Borla's, Corsa's, Solos, Zoomers, and Pypes (I'm sure I'm leaving some out). There are people who aren't fans of those brands. I was able to replicate the sound in the video ... So that turns my crank.
I have a 09 srt auto. I had blastin bobs.solo machX , Zoomers and both pypes. The one I ended up with is the solo straight pipe system. It's loud and no drone. I didn't relieze the pypes tips went for that much. I'll have to sell mine. Funny thing is I heard a few pypes systems on other cars and liked the sound on there's but when i put it on my car it was different. So the tone is in the eye (ear)of the owner

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Pypes

I did the Pypes Race Pro on my Auto 392 Core, and I think they sound great! No drone, not too loud, but has that old school rumble I'm used to. I also did a K&N CAI and there is a power increase. I haven't been to the track yet, but my 60ft times dropped from 5.0 to 4.75 (6,000 to 7,000 ft density altitude). I bought the Pypes because of the price, and do not regret it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The Voilator was one of the "final three" I had narrowed my choices of a catback down to. I knew someone who had them on his Charger, and the only complaint he had was that the fit was off and the place that put it on for him had to do some working on it to get it to go in, and the back of both sides had to be trimmed, the tips stuck out way too far. So, I decided it would be between the MBPS and the Solo, and the Solo won after I heard it in person. I have no complaints.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts