Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014-2015 R/T - Black/Sublime
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i have a 2014 challenger r/t with the 6 speed with 6800 miles on it.

The last few days it has been between 0 and -10 out, and i notice when driving for the first couple miles that the car clunks into each gear. It is pretty loud and sounds like its coming from the shifter vs the transmission. After a few miles it goes away for the most part.

But ive also noticed when i first bought the car new late this last june, that 2nd and 3rd gear do it almost all the time even when hot out. (hot being 65+ here in wisconsin).

When its warm its not quite as loud and sounds like it is more of a syncro issue than anything else. It almost seems like 2nd and 3rd linkage is out of wack a bit / or the throwout bearing isnt fully engaging the pressure plate.

I have hundreds of thousands of hour of manual trans operation on farm equipment and it feels like an old tractor when shifting those 2 gears. It doesnt not go into gear, but its like im pushing the shifter through gravel / has that feel on the stick..

Is the cold weather part normal for these cars? and what do you suggest the warm weather issue is i stated / would it be something covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance for any input :wink3:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
While the manual on our cars is not the tightest or most high precision shifter I've ever used, what you are describing is not normal. I would take it to the dealer for an inspection. Also, you can do what I have done and replace the shifter with one from Barton Industries. It is light years better than the stock unit, and leaps and bounds better than the Hurst too. Throws are reduced by 40% for quicker shifts and more precise throws. Also eliminates the slop and vibration found in the stock unit.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
If it's under warranty, take it in and have it checked. Don't be surprised if they tell ya its normal. One oddity is you seem to have an issue when the trans is up to temp in a ambient that is not freezing.

The trans in my elder SRT-10 Ram had shifting problems when the mercury dropped below freezing. Some Mopar friction additive dropped into the T56 Tremec helped. Not too sure what may help with the newer trans's. I'd try and let it idle for a bit and work the gears, 1st to 2nd, to 3rd...to help loosen things up. Just a suggestion, not sure if it'll do anything. This seemed to work for my T56.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Is it the same sound when going slow like in a parking lot and hitting the clutch too fast? Could be something with your driveshaft but if it's doing it all the time like you said and more so when it's cold I don't think its normal.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Have you tried Royal Purple Synchromax or Red Line Oil MTL trans gear fluid?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mine is notchy & tight when it's less than 30 degrees out. I let it warm up & go easy the 1st 10 miles or so with slow easy shifts.

Even in the summer months I drive easy the 1st 5 miles or so to bring the fluid temp up otherwise it nibs the gears.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it the same sound when going slow like in a parking lot and hitting the clutch too fast? Could be something with your driveshaft but if it's doing it all the time like you said and more so when it's cold I don't think its normal.
when stopped, cold or hot, if i shift into 2nd, i can feel/hear the rear end jerk/clunk like the clutch isnt fully disengaging. it doesnt move the car though thank god lol.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
The Tremec is known for notchy crabby junky shifts
New or 100000 miles

Look up gt 500 and SS camero

They all have the same issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Trimec and wasp392

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
I have had 3 six speeds and winters are 6 months long and I have not had any issue with any of the cars and the transmission regardless of the temperature (cross fingers). Two of the cars experienced temperatures down below -30 w/o issue (and my current one has only had a mild winter so far). We each have our own definition of clunky but what you describe certainly does not sound normal to me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have had 3 six speeds and winters are 6 months long and I have not had any issue with any of the cars and the transmission regardless of the temperature (cross fingers). Two of the cars experienced temperatures down below -30 w/o issue (and my current one has only had a mild winter so far). We each have our own definition of clunky but what you describe certainly does not sound normal to me.
well as i posted before (not in my OP)- if i am stopped, and i shift it into 2nd gear, regardless the temp, 95% of the time i can hear the rear end clunk, and feel it in the floorboards. Thats why i say it seems like the clutch isnt fully disengaging.

Ive had nothing but manual cars minus my 11 challenger and 06 charger, and one (currently have) spirit r/t with 40psi boost and meth injection, and 5 speed manual (over 650whp) and i have never had a car where if you have the clutch all the way down, you can feel and hear the drivetrain move or jerk.

Allthough, in my procharged 91 mustang gt back in high school with the tremec t5, it had a second gear issue also. Would clunk in and sometimes pop out..

which my challenger has done that to me before also, if i run 1st to red line, sometimes when shifting to second it will clunk in and then pop out.. but thats only happened 2-3 times and at the top of the rpm range.

idk, i should go badger chrysler for a new trans with viper guts in it. >:)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i should go badger chrysler for a new trans with viper guts in it. >:)
You manage to pull that off let us know how... On mine 1st shift of the day from first to second nibbles when it's cold out. I've tried shifting through the gears prior to taking her out of the barn etc and it doesn't matter. Drive for about 3 mins though and it shifts like butter. I might take it in at some point so they could have it over night and check it in the morning but I'm almost certain they'd tell me everything was fine.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You manage to pull that off let us know how... On mine 1st shift of the day from first to second nibbles when it's cold out. I've tried shifting through the gears prior to taking her out of the barn etc and it doesn't matter. Drive for about 3 mins though and it shifts like butter. I might take it in at some point so they could have it over night and check it in the morning but I'm almost certain they'd tell me everything was fine.

Take it easy
Jay
Id do that assuming they gave me a loaner because my hellacious spirit r/t isnt safe on hot sticky pavement let alone a wisconsin winter. That car hasnt seen snow in the 23 years of its existence lol.

Ill be calling my local dodge garage tomorrow and see if it can get it in for an appt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still think it is a clutch /pressure plate/throwout issue, possibly. No matter what, the rear end shouldnt be felt or heard clunking when completely stopped with the clutch all the way in / shifting gears when stopped, right?

Unless i am completely mistaken on this trans and it is different than anything ive ever owned before lol.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It may be new, but synthetic gear lubricants tolerate cold and heat far better than conventional lubricants do.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
On mine 1st shift of the day from first to second nibbles when it's cold out. I've tried shifting through the gears prior to taking her out of the barn etc and it doesn't matter. Drive for about 3 mins though and it shifts like butter.

Mines the same way. And I live in southern CA. Always shift through the gears and let the fluid warm up before taking it "out of the barn".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I still think it is a clutch /pressure plate/throwout issue, possibly. No matter what, the rear end shouldnt be felt or heard clunking when completely stopped with the clutch all the way in / shifting gears when stopped, right?

Unless i am completely mistaken on this trans and it is different than anything ive ever owned before lol.
I agree with you. Definitely an issue with the clutch assembly

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It may be new, but synthetic gear lubricants tolerate cold and heat far better than conventional lubricants do.
The factory trans fluid is synthetic.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah that's definitely not normal. I'd take it in for sure. What you're describing doesn't sound like the the driveshaft clunk I was initially suggesting. It's gotta be something in the trans itself or it would do it on every gear if it was something with the pressure plate. Best to get it checked out and at least documented that you have a concern should it get worse or fail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts