Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 scat pack with the option for the upgraded black lightweight wheels. I pulled them off today to clean them on the insides. I was only able to do two wheels. The inside of one of the wheels was missing paint! I realize it's the inside but is this to be expected?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
I have the 2015 stock Scat Pack wheels.

While I don't have a paint issue, I do have an issue where one wheel just can't hold air. It's a slow leak, and I've already had the dealer re-mount the wheel once, but it still happens.

If the car sits for more than a week, then I lose enough air that the warning sensor comes on.

Aggravating, but endurable until I finally figure out what wheels I'm going to get.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Mine had what looked like a fingerprint right in the paint. Dodge replaced it right away.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
the barrels on the WRT wheels aren't fully painted as well as the face of the wheel.

helped detail the '16 WRTs (they are hyperblack II finish= matte granite finish) and I could see the paint is applied lightly and can see the primer layer blushing on the inside of the barrel.

My SPS WR2 wheels are fully painted, barrel and inside lip (these are the base SP wheels)

The SRT "slingshot" in matte black are similar - not painted as consistently as the face of the wheel and lip are.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly being that it's on the inside it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is they didn't hesitate to charge me $1100 for them (as an option).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not worth it, live with it. Too bad the dynamics package wasn't offered in 15 though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I wouldn't live with it. The paint/coatings are what protects the raw wheel. Throw that rim back at dodge and make them replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
I agree, have them give you fully finished wheels. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I wouldn't live with it. The paint/coatings are what protects the raw wheel. Throw that rim back at dodge and make them replace it.
As far as finish go's aren't most wheels made that way??
Isn't there paint/coating on there just not real polished kinda' like the paint in a engine bay?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
My Blacktop wheels are gloss paint throughout. The rears and barrels are polished just like the faces. I think this should be true of any wheel. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
My Blacktop wheels are gloss paint throughout. The rears and barrels are polished just like the faces. I think this should be true of any wheel. A Guy
The inside lip of my 20" pocketed wheels are not polished on my SXT Plus.
It's like a flat coating.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Don't look underneath your car.

Most cars aren't fully painted on the underside - they have the e-coat & primer and a 'courtesy spray' on the underside.

those restored cars you see at shows with mirrors underneath? no production cars came out like that. That final top coat paint is expensive - so its applied where you see it the most.

Chrylser, unlike GM or Ford- would paint the engine bays in body color and trunks. Ford and GM user underhood satin black and the trunks were in the gray spatter paint rather that body color / gloss paint. Didn't require a very careful application to do them either.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have the 2015 stock Scat Pack wheels.

While I don't have a paint issue, I do have an issue where one wheel just can't hold air. It's a slow leak, and I've already had the dealer re-mount the wheel once, but it still happens.

If the car sits for more than a week, then I lose enough air that the warning sensor comes on.

Aggravating, but endurable until I finally figure out what wheels I'm going to get.
You sure it just aint the tire? Take it to Discount Tire or somewhere and have them look at it instead of the dealer!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
The barrel of mine might look better because they are coated. I know they don't have the gloss the outside does, but in cleaning them, they are smooth and have shine :)

A Guy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine had what looked like a fingerprint right in the paint. Dodge replaced it right away.
Mine has finger print spots on the actual hood of the car the pillars. I buffed my car and it helped get rid of most but still a couple you can see.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Anyone know what you might use to touch up the front of these from curb strikes?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
You sure it just aint the tire? Take it to Discount Tire or somewhere and have them look at it instead of the dealer!
I had the dealer re-set the tire; didn't work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts