Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys keep Big Red cool on the track? Do you run an aftermarket oil cooler or SRT392 setup? I'm installing a larger core radiator and I'm wondering if I will need additional cooling (5.7 + 8lbs).

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
How do you guys keep Big Red cool on the track? Do you run an aftermarket oil cooler or SRT392 setup? I'm installing a larger core radiator and I'm wondering if I will need additional cooling (5.7 + 8lbs).
we run a modified Fluidyne radiator and a modified factory oil cooler, however we are having issues cooling down the oil, we have no issues with coolant temperatures, unsure which way we are going, looking at a dry sump system from Prefix, however non vvt set up, hence we will need to modify the brackets to drive the pump
Luke

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Luke. I am installing a Mishimoto radiator and buying the cooling kit for EHPS from you. By stock oil cooler I'm assuming you mean the radiator based one used on the 392. Do you know what parts I will need from you to install?

This is the radiator inlet and outlet sizes:

Outlet Inner Diameter: 1.29" Outer Diameter: 1.42"
Inlet Inner Diameter: 1.29" Outer Diameter: 1.42"

https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-challenger-aluminum-radiator-2009-2016.html

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
thank you Luke. I am installing a Mishimoto radiator and buying the cooling kit for EHPS from you. By stock oil cooler I'm assuming you mean the radiator based one used on the 392. Do you know what parts I will need from you to install?

This is the radiator inlet and outlet sizes:

Outlet Inner Diameter: 1.29" Outer Diameter: 1.42"
Inlet Inner Diameter: 1.29" Outer Diameter: 1.42"

https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-challenger-aluminum-radiator-2009-2016.html
yes and we added a small cooler in line, ultimately thats not enough.....

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-oil-cooler-5037523ab

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In your opinion, is it worth the hassle of putting on the SRT cooler? I'd prefer to mount an oil-air cooler somewhere else but I have no idea where to place it because I don't want to block off the intercooler.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
In your opinion, is it worth the hassle of putting on the SRT cooler? I'd prefer to mount an oil-air cooler somewhere else but I have no idea where to place it because I don't want to block off the intercooler.
No i would do something different

Luke

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the dual SRT8 fan setup a direct drop in for an R/T? Not sure how much better it would be since the hellcat runs a single fan but maybe going to two fans would help. If it works, what's the part number for the full assembly?

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Is the dual SRT8 fan setup a direct drop in for an R/T? Not sure how much better it would be since the hellcat runs a single fan but maybe going to two fans would help. If it works, what's the part number for the full assembly?
would require modifications, wiring etc
Luke

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright, I'm going to see how the larger radiator does without any other cooling upgrades besides the EHPS cooler I ordered from you today. Mobil 1 0w-40 still has a HTHS Viscosity of 3.8 at 300°F. I'm wondering if that is adequate to protect the engine.

Answered my own question - for those who want to know:

As outlined at the beginning of this section, the studied 0W20 lubricant is required to be extremely shear stable with a HTHS-viscosity of 3.6 mPa s. Therefore, a more common 0W20 lubricant with a HTHS-viscosity of 2.8 mPa s is investigated in addition. However, the analysis with the reduced HTHS-viscosity lubricant showed a strong presence of metal-metal contact under full load operation already at 1000 rpm engine speed. As the inertia forces increase with increasing engine speed, the amount of metal-metal contact will be even more severe for higher engine speeds. As a consequence, it is concluded that for the present engine construction a HTHS-viscosity of 3.6 mPa s represents an optimum value at least for the journal bearings. A further HTHS-viscosity reduction is expected to require additional efforts to maintain the high service life that is obtained with lubricants having a HTHS-viscosity of 3.6 mPa s.

http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4442/3/2/142/htm

3.8 mPa at 300°F should be fine.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Bigred at Goodguys this past weekend

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm drooling over your lack of body roll. What size wheels and tires are you running?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
I'm drooling over your lack of body roll. What size wheels and tires are you running?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk
that's the difference between standard coil over kits and the kits from Ultimate Performance & JRI, >:)

305-30-19's on 19x11 Forgestar customs wheels all 4 corners

we went thru multiple different coil over kits that's most people here would buy, and we where rolling the car over so bad, we where lifting the opposing rear wheel clean off the ground and scraping the splitter........

even with a custom set of ( will not name the brand ) we still could not control the car or body roll......

the track at the Good guys this past weekend was super tight and the surface condition extremely grainy, awful surface, we where constantly spinning the rear wheels, could not get any forward bite

Luke

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
from Nola a few weeks ago, will be in Bowling KY this weekend testing and driving school

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts

Bigred getting serviced making sure we are go for @ncmmsp this weekend for driving school 10/10th

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,803 Posts
Alright Luke! I know you don't have more than $400,000 in Big red :)

A Guy

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Alright Luke! I know you don't have more than $400,000 in Big red :)

A Guy
insured for 95k........up to the entry of the track, then on my own.....:frown:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luke, thoughts on exhaust size? I want to get rid of my cast manifolds and put on some headers. I don't plan on stroking the engine anytime soon or increasing boost above 8PSI on my 5.7L. Wondering if I should upgrade my 2.5" to 2.75" or 3" exhaust, I'd love your opinion.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Luke, thoughts on exhaust size? I want to get rid of my cast manifolds and put on some headers. I don't plan on stroking the engine anytime soon or increasing boost above 8PSI on my 5.7L. Wondering if I should upgrade my 2.5" to 2.75" or 3" exhaust, I'd love your opinion.
would stay away from 3 inch unless you have large cubic inch displacement, 2.5 or 2.75 will work well, and yourself a favor and do Kooks, better fit and incredible quality and performance, in stock
Luke

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
would stay away from 3 inch unless you have large cubic displacement, 2.5 or 2.75 will work well, and yourself a favor and do Kooks, better fit and incredible quality and performance, in stock
Luke
So I did a bunch of reading, finally found a calculator. To support 550BHP 2.59", 600BHP, 2.7" before restriction. 707BHP needs 2.93" so that must be why they went with a 3" tube on a Hellcat. I think I can get away with using the 2.75" 392 exhaust system without losing much on the low end. I emailed Kooks my question as well and will post their response.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts