Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I hope Im putting this is the right spot. Secondly, let me state that I am a complete novice when it comes to the internals of an engine. I simply hoping some of you can fill me in or clear some things up for me.

First starters, There is a certain sound that I LOVE. It wasnt until yesterday that I realized that sound comes from a car with an aftermarket cam. I decided to look it up and check out some videos. I then realized that its not only just from an after maket cam, but from I guess specific style (novice here) and the type of tuning it has.

The sound that I LOVE is apparently called "lope" or "loping". Maybe it was lobe or lobing. Again. complete novice here. So i guess here are my questions.

Is it bad for the car to do that? (Lope)
Does it do that so you have more Top end?
What actually causes that? The sound like its about to stall but still outright mean?
Now the biggie. I read it was something in the tuning. Is that true? And if so can a stock cam be tuned to "Lope"

Id like to thank anyone who replies in advance and Im sorry if some of these question sound stupid or rediculous. I dont plan on changing out my cam because thats WAY OUT of my expertise as you can tell by the above questions

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Alrighty, here goes. Lope is not a bad thing. It's a side effect of the cam that is engineered more for power than street manners or mpg. In regards to "top end" power increases, it depends on what the cam is designed to do. It WILL have an impact on the vehicle's street manners. Be aware that putting a cam in a car for sound only is a BAD idea. I know you like the noise it makes but you may not end up with a cam that best suites what you use the car for. All things considered, the sound is the best part. Tuning issues will arise when installing a cam in the VVTi Hemis. These are any year R/T or the 2011+ 6.4L SRT. I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. Yeah I won't be doing it for racing so I don't want to compromise its daily use. Your info did help me out though. I just absolutely love that sound. At least now I know why a car sounds like that. I thought it was because of the exhaust or from carbs. On the old cars. Just curious. Why does the VVT make it difficult? Is it possible to explain laymen terms?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disregard the last question. Common sense kicked in and I'm assuming its the variable timing as compared to constant

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yes, it's variable valve timing which means that once you rev past a certain point (for ex: 2800rpm) the engine advances timing and fuel. Well, this is difficult to tune for because you need to tune the car so that it runs at the appropriate RPM both in and out of VVTi as well as during the transition.

BTW what car do you have and what transmission?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Cams can be installed without removing the heads but it is not for beginners.
Also VVT is not just fuel and timing the cam actually travels to certain degrees in the RPM band for performance and MPG

·
Registered
165 Posts
Alrighty, here goes. Lope is not a bad thing. It's a side effect of the cam that is engineered more for power than street manners or mpg. In regards to "top end" power increases, it depends on what the cam is designed to do. It WILL have an impact on the vehicle's street manners. Be aware that putting a cam in a car for sound only is a BAD idea. I know you like the noise it makes but you may not end up with a cam that best suites what you use the car for. All things considered, the sound is the best part. Tuning issues will arise when installing a cam in the VVTi Hemis. These are any year R/T or the 2011+ 6.4L SRT. I hope this helps a little.
I'm also a novice when it comes to this kind of thing but what do you mean "It WILL have an impact on the vehicle's street manners" ? In what way?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The idle will cause the car to tremble, your MPG will decrease, depending on the cam size, it will move your power band further up the RPMs. All of these will make the car act differently. Also, depending on your power level it will alter if you have traction or not at certain speed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The idle will cause the car to tremble, your MPG will decrease, depending on the cam size, it will move your power band further up the RPMs. All of these will make the car act differently. Also, depending on your power level it will alter if you have traction or not at certain speed.
Sounds exactly like what i been looking for. Just wish these challengers had that sound from the factory. Dropped of my srt at the shop yesterday to get a cam installed. Reminds me of this scene.... LOL

·
Registered
675 Posts
That awesome lope you get from a lot of old school performance cams is in actuality a series of low RPM miss fires.
(It's a little more complicated than this but that's what it boils down to)
You don't typically get that with modern cams for modern EFI engines.

The request for this great sound at idle has been so big that a few cam companies now offer cams with the lope engineered into them and still have great performance and street ability.

From what I hear you can tune a modern engine to sound like this at idle, but I do not have any direct experience with it. :disappointed:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all the replies and info. For those who mention its not for beginners to do, there is ZERO chance I would attempt this if I decided to go that route. This sounds to me that it would be something long down the road that I may want to do, but not with my current stituation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts