Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Are there any members from Missouri here who can help with an emissions question? I am thinking of doing a mid muffler delete mod, but I am curious if that mod will cause an emissions inspection failure. Has anyone done this mod? Did it cause any problems with MO emissions testing? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
As long as the oem cats are in place you'll pass no problem...having said that, you can take off the whole cat back system and pass as well

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
I notice his question was on a "emissions inspection", with the inspection part making me wonder. I know some states have inspections where working lights, intact muffler/exhaust systems, etc. are required. I doubt any emissions only, physical inspection, includes cat back items. But does Missouri have actual inspection, and emission testing?

A Guy

EDIT: I see they have inspections:

The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) requires residents to complete regular vehicle inspections. The motor vehicle inspection required by the DOR involves two parts:

A vehicle safety inspection.
A smog check and emissions testing.
While safety inspections are required throughout the state, emissions testing is only required in certain counties. We'll help you determine what type of inspection you need, and what the inspection process is in Missouri.
https://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/smog-check.php

Exhaust System (11 CSR 50-2.260)
All motor vehicles shall be equipped with a properly attached exhaust pipe, muffler and tailpipe.
All items must be inspected with the motor running. Holes in the system made by the manufacturer
for drainage are not cause for rejection. Do not block or place anything over the end of the tailpipe
to check for leaks.
Reject vehicle if:
 A manifold, manifold gasket, flange gasket or a connection or any other component is loose or leaking
 Muffler, exhaust pipe, tailpipe or resonator has holes, leaking patches or seams (Patches made with an arc or acetylene weld are acceptable)
 Tailpipe end is pinched or broken off from rear support bracket
 Any part of the system is supported by wire, or if any component is not securely attached by supporting hardware, such as bolts, brackets, clamps or hangers
 Tailpipe is located so that a person may be burned on entering or leaving passenger compartment
 Any part of system passes through passenger compartment
 Tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust away from under passenger compartment of commercial motor vehicles
 Tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides of the passenger and luggage compartment on passenger vehicles
Vehicle has no muffler
 Tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust away from the sides or rear of a camper which is mounted on a motor vehicle and which is equipped with permanent cooking, heating and sleeping facilities
 A commercial vehicle has a tailpipe extending beneath the cargo area that leaks or is improperly supported
https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/car_inspection_requirements_by_state_a_compendium.html

MISSOURI
Emissions inspections, in addition to safety inspections, are required biennially in counties of St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson, Franklin, and the City of St. Louis. Visit Missouri’s Gateway Vehicle Inspection Program for more information.

Emissions inspections are not required for 1995 and older gasoline-powered vehicles and 1996 and older diesel-powered vehicles, new motor vehicles not previously titled and registered for the 4-year period following their model year of manufacture with fewer than 40,000 miles at the first required biennial safety inspection, new and unused vehicles with model years within 2 years of the calendar year that have odometer readings of less than 6,000 miles and motor vehicles driven fewer that 12,000 miles between biennial safety inspections.

Other exemptions include motorcycles and motor-tricycles, and vehicles powered by fuels other than gasoline, ethanol or diesel. Vehicles built in even numbered years are subject to emissions test in even numbered years: vehicles built in odd numbered years are subject to emissions test in odd numbered years.

OBD (on-board diagnostics) is utilized as part of the state emissions inspection process.
Emissions Inspection - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

A Guy

Reactions: TonyCamp

·
Registered
178 Posts
You'll fail in NJ if you didn't have mufflers, you'll pass in Michigan with no mufflers (straigh pipes), having mufflers or no won't affect emission readings, sometimes passing the inspection is not about emissions only, but the state laws in general, best bet is ask one of your local inspection shops. Here in Cali the law says something about no person shall modify the exhaust in such a way that increases the exhaust noise, and shall not exceed 95db's in noise, a mufler delete will easily beat that number.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the responses, and information! My concern was regarding the visual inspection of the exhaust system. I will be stopping by a local inspection station before I move forward. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I'm in NW "Missery", and fortunately we only need to get the "Safety Sticker". No other inspections needed.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
My 2015 SRT 392 came from Missouri and it was all up to date, the original owner cut off the mid mufflers and straight piped it right after he bought brand new, that was the only mod to the car. He drove it this way til I bought it about 2 months ago, so apparently it's a none issue in Missouri to do this.

He gave me the original mufflers in case I wanted to put them back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts