Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So it seems like forever I've been hunting down this annoying rattle in my car. Dozens of times I thought I found it but to no avail. A master mechanic friend of mine was riding with me the other day and right away said it sounds like your upper strut mount plates are shot in the front. I put street edge coilovers in the car about a year and a half ago (The guys at this company are actually really cool and awesome but I have to say these coilovers really sucked and blew out right away) which just about makes time the rattle started. The rears I pulled out and replaced with my old eye box dampeners because the shocks were smoked so I know it's not the rears cuz those were tightened down and ready to roll. I have a Drake strut tower brace, the three-piece one, with the optional Allen wrench oversized cap/nuts for the top of the struts that go through the firewall in the engine compartment. These are all tightened down. My question is with the coilovers should I just get any type of strut tower plate to replace the ones at the top of the coilovers or should I be looking for something more specific like the KYB ones or something? I'm talking with street edge now to get my coilovers warrantied and find out what I can do with them as I'm a little poor right now to buy a new set of coilovers especially since I just need the shock bodies. just trying to figure out the most effective way before I get up in there or order parts. Any info would be great, thanks as always.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
The dodge LX cars are notorious for front end parts making noises, and it is hard to pinpoint the source many times, leading to the parts shotgun approach. I don’t know much about the coil overs you’re talking about, but I have disassembled and reassembled the front ends on all my current and former Chargers and Challengers to fix noises at various times. So I will say it’s best to verify the noise is coming from what you believe it to be coming from before buying parts and tearing things down.

Can you record a quick vid snippet of the noise in question and post it up for us to hear?

Is the noise coming from both sides? If not, can you swap the part in question from one side to the other to see if the noise follows the suspect part?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and get a video snippet tomorrow. I can't tell you that I've completely rebuilt the front end on this car myself. I replaced everything inner tie rods outer tie rods and all of the arms. The whole rear of the suspension is BMR and the front includes the eibach camper adjustment kit with upper control arms and ball joints. I did not pull the coilovers out when doing this and the strep mount uppers weren't replaced. It's kind of the only parts left in there that's why I'm inclined to believe him when he said those were the noises he was hearing. Sitting in the car it's hard to isolate it whether it be front left right or rear. I just know what I've pulled and replaced which includes the rear shocks and mounts. More of a process of elimination really with the upper strut mounts being one of the only things I haven't replaced.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Hi all,

So it seems like forever I've been hunting down this annoying rattle in my car. Dozens of times I thought I found it but to no avail. A master mechanic friend of mine was riding with me the other day and right away said it sounds like your upper strut mount plates are shot in the front. I put street edge coilovers in the car about a year and a half ago (The guys at this company are actually really cool and awesome but I have to say these coilovers really sucked and blew out right away) which just about makes time the rattle started. The rears I pulled out and replaced with my old eye box dampeners because the shocks were smoked so I know it's not the rears cuz those were tightened down and ready to roll. I have a Drake strut tower brace, the three-piece one, with the optional Allen wrench oversized cap/nuts for the top of the struts that go through the firewall in the engine compartment. These are all tightened down. My question is with the coilovers should I just get any type of strut tower plate to replace the ones at the top of the coilovers or should I be looking for something more specific like the KYB ones or something? I'm talking with street edge now to get my coilovers warrantied and find out what I can do with them as I'm a little poor right now to buy a new set of coilovers especially since I just need the shock bodies. just trying to figure out the most effective way before I get up in there or order parts. Any info would be great, thanks as always.
Hey there. An easy thing you could check/eliminate is the sway bar links. Remove the nut holding them to the front shock. On both sides. Pull the link out of the strut (You can leave the bottom ends attached) and tie it up safely away from moving parts. Go for a short test drive over some bumps and see if your noise changes. Sway bar links are known for causing annoying clunks/rattles that aren't immediately obvious by looking at them. So it's a good thing to eliminate from your suspects.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
I'm not saying it is, but don't eliminate parts that you have already changed. They may be superior, but they way they connect, etc. is the same. To ignore parts because you changed them previously could cause you to bypass the problem. Having a problem that remains after replacing new parts is different

A Guy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you and agree. I did check them when replacing the front end. Not sure if your familiar with the BMR ones but they won't fail like the stock type would. No bushings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts