Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times can you do a paint correction on a car? I ask because one of the neighbors re-stained there fence and it was windy so the stain drifted into my garage and on to my car. Mainly the trunk, some on the roof and some on the hood oh and the plastic (brake light area) I've clay bared it and some of it came off. Or can I use a type of paint thinner that won't hurt anything. This has me sick. It's a 2016 Tor-Red SRT. thanks all.

Mopar or No Car

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
The "paint correction" is really done with the clear coat. The clear coat layer is very thin, about the thickness of a post it note. A good detailer will be able to tell how much is left, and how far they can go in removing imperfections, or in this case, a surface contaminate. I'd be pissed as well as sick. They are painting my building now. I'm parking it on the street while they work, not taking any chances, and they sure as heck aren't putting any cover on it.

I'd have a good shop look at it. No paint thinner. Generally clay should be enough to remove bonded contaminates.

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Start with Goo Gone to try to get the fence stain off your clear. If that doesn't work, try Mineral Spirits. It is perfectly safe for your clear coat. As for any plastic, I'd try the Goo gone first, it won't harm the plastic. I'd find a hidden plastic "test spot" if you want to try the mineral spirits; it too may be fine, but my OCD compels me to suggest testing first.

I would think the mineral spirits would work best, as that's what is used to clean brushes after applying stain to fences.

A clay bar might have worked if you could have caught the spots before fully drying; now there probably isn't anything to "catch" on the clay as the stain is flat. As minute as they may be, the mineral deposits in water stains are just that, deposits, which the clay can "catch".

To answer your initial question: "How many times can you do a paint correction on a car?"

As long as you're not using hyper-abrasive products, pads, or grinding down on the car with an orbital, you should be okay if you're using a DA to touch up minor swirls or haze. Remember, the products and pads today are designed to deal with clear coats. BUT.....your question illustrates why its important to have a lasting surface coat of something on top of the clear coat, so that it's that surface product that "captures" the stain, mark, swirl and not your clear.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Normally clay bar will take this off specially if it hasn't been sitting on your paint for a long time. I would go over it again with a clay bar.

They are doing construction new my job and whatever is on the road gets on my white car and it starts to look like rust. When I clay it, I have to sit there for a while and go over the area of containment for a while.

Just keep it lubricated, kneed the clay bar, and keep going at it. It should take care of it

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Get a shop to do an estimate before you start messing with it, surely the neighbor is responsible and I'd go after them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
If all this fails lacquer thinner will get it off easily. It is perfectly safe for the clear coat. I worked at a body shop and we used it quite frequently. It is only not safe when it 'sits' on the paint for an extended period of time. Take it to a body shop. They will most likely wipe the over spray off for free. You will just need to reapply wax in that area.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I have not spoken to him yet. He's an older gentlemen and I know he didn't do it on purpose. He had one of those backpack weed spray things and that's what he applied it with.

Mopar or No Car

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
I'd be careful of Goo-Gone on the black plastic trim - it might discolor that.

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) can probably remove the stain, as its probably water based product.

Alcohol will not harm painted surfaces - it would probably be safe on black plastic trim.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
494 Posts
I would bring to the attention of your neighbor old or not he's responsible for this and should cover and cost to repair. i would have it done by a professional. With the cost of the car I wouldn't take any chance on messing it up. As soon as you touch it he might not pay anything. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No I have not spoken to him yet. He's an older gentlemen and I know he didn't do it on purpose. He had one of those backpack weed spray things and that's what he applied it with.

Mopar or No Car
No, I get it he sounds like a good neighbor. I wouldn't say anything either.( Unless he was a real [email protected]*! then maybe I would approach him). Growing up we had great neighbors all around us. But for a few years we had a real knucklehead next door. I remember my father getting into it with him a time or two over the dumbest stuff. The neighbor was a real control freak over kids kicking balls on his yard, that kind of a guy.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
I'd say something if for no reason than to say "hey, next time warn me first so I can move my car". He at least needs to know what he did sent stuff flying everywhere. A Guy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clay bar and/or Alcohol. I don't think I would want to use a DA with hardened paint on the hood...it could induce scratches/swirls. You need to get it off...maybe iron x or tar x from Car Pro. Once it is all removed they maybe you can do a light polish. A full paint correction would not be needed in this case, assumming your paint is not all swirled up.

Pics?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts