Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to do a nose conversion on my 2009 RT to a 2011 front clip and 392 chin spoiler, so I have to get clear coat and the base coat anyways (painting the bumper myself) and I have a question about stripes. Right now, the car has a matte black hood, trunk, and spoiler, which I did a few years ago using PPGs flex'n'flat. Recently I cut out and applied vinyl stripes that matched the body color (Torred). I'm wanting to make the stripes permanent since I'll have the body color and glossy clear anyways.

My question is since my hood is matte black, and pretty textured, what's the best way to go about painting and clearing the GLOSSY red stripes on top of the matte black? I'm nervous about paint lines, especially since the differing clears with have different sheens. Opinions on how to minimize paint lines but keep my matte black?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but it's awesome that you have the skills to do your own paint. I'm curious, why are you switching to the 2011 front clip?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Well i got in a lil fender bender the other day and jacked up my bumper and grille, so i thought, this is an awesome time to do a front clip conversion lol. Nose badge is def a reason. Parts price between 2009 and 2011 bumper from dealer is the biggest reason. 2009 bumper is more than twice as much as the 2011

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Btw, painted and cleared the bumper earlier today, wont get to imstalling it till mext weekend, but ill be sure to post pics in the appropriate section this time lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Clearing over vinyl can be done but it isn't recommended for several reasons. Poor paint adhesion and fading of the vinyl are a couple of them. Do a web search on the subject and learn about the potential downfalls before you decide to do it. Also clearing over a matte finish presents another problem. When you pull the tape on the clear, you are going to end up with a noticeable edge from the buildup of the clear. When you rub your bare hand over the edge it will feel sharp. The only way to eliminate that is to wet sand the edge with 1500 and buff the sanding scratches out. If you hit the matte paint with either the sandpaper or buffer you're going to ruin the matte finish. If you were painting an entire car the matte paint would be applied last (after the car is wet sanded and buffed). Your intentions are good but I'd run it by a pro first and get their opinion. Anyway, good luck with your venture!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Thanks! Well i got in a lil fender bender the other day and jacked up my bumper and grille, so i thought, this is an awesome time to do a front clip conversion lol. Nose badge is def a reason. Parts price between 2009 and 2011 bumper from dealer is the biggest reason. 2009 bumper is more than twice as much as the 2011
Whoa! Why is there that much of a difference? Is there a difference in quality? Or because it's not manufactured anymore?
:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Whoa, i didnt mean clear over vinyl lol. I kno thats a big no no lol. And i think your thinking of the matte clears that are achieved in a single stage. My matte black is done with a matte clear coat itself. But i do think it would require that i pretty much start over because i didnt have my hvlp settings right when i did the matte, which is why it turned out so textured.

Im not sure either, dealer couldnt give me an answer either tho. My guess is that its because it was one of the first years this generation of challengers was made, making it a rarity, and a collectble part. Just a guess though. But as far as quality, theres absolutely no difference that i can tell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts