Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about the Predator and tunes. When you put a tune on the car using the predator, does the computer continue to adjust to driving habits and mess with the tune, or do the setting of the tune remain permanently? Thinking about getting one soon and wasnt sure how that works. Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Question about the Predator and tunes. When you put a tune on the car using the predator, does the computer continue to adjust to driving habits and mess with the tune, or do the setting of the tune remain permanently? Thinking about getting one soon and wasnt sure how that works. Thanks.
The tune has certain parameters to stay within. But as far as the car changing the tune that's not something I've ever heard of happening. When you drive your car agressively it picks up on it and will become "rev" happy from my experience. The adaptives on the car can Change on the fly to adjust the A/F ratio. It's like when you put a new cold air intake sometimes it takes awhile before it gets dialed back in. Hell I'm probably just confusing you! Just buy one. You'll love it.:werd:

·
Registered
677 Posts
So this is a great question -
I believe the 'tune' becomes the baseline for any adjustments the PCM makes (via the adaptives). You can reset the adaptives and easily get back to the 'baseline'. Even with the adaptives making adjustments, they are based on the tune you've installed.

It would be great to get Diablo's take on this to verify my theory.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is an exception and I will get to that.

When we write a tune, it is based on what we learn on the dyno with your particular make and model.

The changes we make have to be specific to your car and the aftermarket parts you installed.

We have access to all the important stuff that affects final power output at the wheels.

When we make changes they are Hard Changes that Can't be changed by anyone but a CMR dealer.

The adaptives are in place to compensate for, different fuel quality, and changing weather conditions, and driving habits, worn sensors, dirty air filters, etc.

Adaptives will never change the tune information, but will learn (within the learn limits) toward fine tuning the set up to meet emissions.

The adaptives are only active during closed loop operation and have no affect on WOT operation, the hard data controls this.

The exception is the new 5.7 Hemis with Neural Network, they will return to the factory settings from what I am told.

Ted.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
There is an exception and I will get to that.

When we write a tune, it is based on what we learn on the dyno with your particular make and model.

The changes we make have to be specific to your car and the aftermarket parts you installed.

We have access to all the important stuff that affects final power output at the wheels.

When we make changes they are Hard Changes that Can't be changed by anyone but a CMR dealer.

The adaptives are in place to compensate for, different fuel quality, and changing weather conditions, and driving habits, worn sensors, dirty air filters, etc.

Adaptives will never change the tune information, but will learn (within the learn limits) toward fine tuning the set up to meet emissions.

The adaptives are only active during closed loop operation and have no affect on WOT operation, the hard data controls this.

The exception is the new 5.7 Hemis with Neural Network, they will return to the factory settings from what I am told.

Ted.
Isn't that something like 65-70% of the challengers fitting into that exception?

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Isn't that something like 65-70% of the challengers fitting into that exception?
Yeah, that stinks if that's the case and means the new 6.4L SRT8s will have the same problems.

Vendors better get on the ball with that or their performance business for Challenger will dry up.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Now that's something I didn't know! I guess I'm glad I got an '09. I am assuming that this Neural Network is only on the '10's and later????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. Another related question - Does the predator also allow you to adjust the shift points on the automatic? Maybe that's a normal part of the tune. Just wondering if that's included as part of the tune or if that has to be done separately.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am currently doing the head/cam/throttle body set up on my 09 srt8. I had the canned tune from the preditor on the car for CAI and 91 octane. I ran the car on the preditor tune for maybe 5k miles before i decided to to the top end work. We dyno'd the car prior to removing heads the A/F was very very rich between 0 - 3000 rpm. Upon removal of the heads the carbon build up on the pistons was substantial. Not to knock anybody becasue i know how everyone is so touchy about this and that however i think the best bet is to have your car dyno and tuned by someone who knows exactly what they are doing in regards to dialing in a tune. I know the canned tunes are specifically safe and not run lean do to different altitudes and fuel quaility however i will spend the extra dough. Different tunes can be written for race gas, altitude etc so the preditor will be good for holding those and applying them as the situation dictates.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was wondering when this topic would arise. My R/T was a year old on Thursday I ordered it in January of 2009. I was lurking around here and was very excitied about the mods to come when my Challenger arrived, of coarse I started looking at CAIs and tunners and started to make some calls. I wanted Arringtons CAI but I saw that K&Ns made twice the hp I asked questions and was told that the Arrington CAI would also make 20hp on the first few pulls but after some driving if you dynoed the car again the numbers would be down around 10hp. When I started telling my buds this we wondered if the tunners would wind up the same way. I wish I could see a dyno pull on a stock R/T, look at the sheet after the tune, then again after 1000 miles. So I can decide on weather or not it is worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts