Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naturally when I got my new challenger I wanted to show it off. I love the sound of the engine, even bone stock. So being not as knowledgeable as I should be, when I first got it, I would be cruising down the street and would put it in neutral and rev it ( not too high, 3000 at most ) if I saw another muscle car or w/e. The other day I was slowing to a stop to pick up a friend who hasn't seen the car yet. As I coasted to a stop I put it in neutral and revved it just a bit and the car went limp. Had to put in park and turn the key again.
I have a 2010 RT auto classic with super track pack. Naturally I've seen a lot of people proud of their challengers and rev the engine to show it off. Is there a way to do it without making the car go into limp mode or is this another issue altogether? I know knocking the car into drive at high RPM's is bad and I learned that the hard way with my other car. Whats the deal with reving the engine, sometimes don't want to do it in drive as I dont want to lunge forward and kill someone

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I believe kicking today's automatic transmissions into neutral and coasting whether revving the engine or not is a no-no.

You should have bought a manual if you wanted to play like that.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
got a great deal on this one that I couldn't pass up. It was either this or go for the 2011 SE. So naturally got this one. Plus I live in NYC. A manual here is annoying with all the stop and go.

Just wondering how other autos (if at all possible) pull something like that off

·
Registered
498 Posts
got a great deal on this one that I couldn't pass up. It was either this or go for the 2011 SE. So naturally got this one. Plus I live in NYC. A manual here is annoying with all the stop and go.

Just wondering how other autos (if at all possible) pull something like that off
No, the revving is annoying, not the manual....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Naturally when I got my new challenger I wanted to show it off. I love the sound of the engine, even bone stock. So being not as knowledgeable as I should be, when I first got it, I would be cruising down the street and would put it in neutral and rev it ( not too high, 3000 at most ) if I saw another muscle car or w/e. The other day I was slowing to a stop to pick up a friend who hasn't seen the car yet. As I coasted to a stop I put it in neutral and revved it just a bit and the car went limp. Had to put in park and turn the key again.
I have a 2010 RT auto classic with super track pack. Naturally I've seen a lot of people proud of their challengers and rev the engine to show it off. Is there a way to do it without making the car go into limp mode or is this another issue altogether? I know knocking the car into drive at high RPM's is bad and I learned that the hard way with my other car. Whats the deal with reving the engine, sometimes don't want to do it in drive as I dont want to lunge forward and kill someone

Avoid neutral revving for longevity cause the trans isn't pumping enough fluid -
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/r-t-auto-coasting-neutral-56890/index2.html

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glad to see a positive community exists here.

*hint* a lot of sarcasm. Thanks for the serious answers for those who gave it and not the smart remarks. Good to know that an aspiring challenger owner who wants to start learning about his car / cars can come here and not have the hammer dropped on certain questions. Had a great experience on my previous car's forums, but hey thanks for the intro to this one.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Predator used to allow raising the rev limits on the transmission, but on 2009 and up, there is nothing that can be done at this time. Just keep the revs below the limp mode trigger (about 3K rpm).

Also, the transmission is smart. It protects itself from the driver doing dumb things. Even if you try to drop into a lower gear that it can handle, it won't go. Try autosticking it into first gear while driving at 50 MPH, or upshifting to 5th gear while doing 25 MPH.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey bro,

Don't let the haters get you down! We aren't all like that! Oh and come on people, if you claim you haven't revved yoru engine or like the sound of it, you are either prudes that shouldn't have a muscle car or liers! Who doesn't love the nice sound our hemi's put out?

Skarn

·
Registered
146 Posts
glad to see a positive community exists here.

*hint* a lot of sarcasm. Thanks for the serious answers for those who gave it and not the smart remarks. Good to know that an aspiring challenger owner who wants to start learning about his car / cars can come here and not have the hammer dropped on certain questions. Had a great experience on my previous car's forums, but hey thanks for the intro to this one.
If you came here for affirmation that acting like an idiot while possibly damaging your car in order to show off is OK and everyone is in support, then you might be in the wrong place.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey bro,

Don't let the haters get you down! We aren't all like that! Oh and come on people, if you claim you haven't revved yoru engine or like the sound of it, you are either prudes that shouldn't have a muscle car or liers! Who doesn't love the nice sound our hemi's put out?

Skarn
Guess I'm one of the "liers":scratchhead:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I use to rev my engine all the time, - when I was 16.

Now I stay on the DL and just row thru gears,
:smoker:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Damn, some harsh people here! Must be a LOT of idiots then because as the OP stated, there are a awful lot of people with all types of muscle cars that like to hear the nice engines when revved at idle. Now I'm not specifically speaking of coasting in neutral, I'm speaking of while parked or at a light.

It's no different than people that rev their Harley's. And I know there are always people that take everything too far. If you are one that is constantly revving just to show off, that's diffferent and a bit immature IMO. But the occasional rev to hear the nice hemi....come on, lighten up on the guy!

So dun4791, you are honestly going to tell me you have NEVER revved your engine to hear how it sounds? So I assume you have a stock exhaust too?

Skarn

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol good to see some people are uptight nuns. Still, can't help myself, seeing as I've gone from a bone stock 2000 Intrepid 2.7 to a 5.7 Hemi, kinda want to every once in a while hear what I've paid for and upgraded to. But hey, now I know how to do it without having people scream in horror about "doing it wrong!"

·
Registered
113 Posts
What is the world coming to if Hemi fans don't like they way a Hemi sounds? Keep on revving Robdragon and painting the town black two stripes at a time!

It amazes me how people act on this forum sometimes, they must have bought their challengers for the trunk space.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nothing wrong with a nice little rev every now and then. IT'S A CHALLENGER have some fun!

I went to a crawfish boil over the weekend and on my way out a few of the guys were like "Let's here what she's got!". Was just going to give her a little rev on the way out until I over hear one of them say "I doubt that car can even break the tires loose..." So yea, left some nice black stripes on my way out :smokin:. The little crackle/pop that my magnaflow exhaust lets out is ADDICTING! I may be getting older, but I am not ready for that civic yet. Just dont be stupid with it and do it at car shows or in front of a bar or something. Not sure about the limp mode issue though, I have a 6speed and have never seen that "yet".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts