Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2nd gear feels a little harder to get into compared to every other gear. Like the gap is too small. 3rd to 4th I can do with my finger tips but 1st to 2nd requires a bit more convincing. I've searched the forums and this skip shifting feature popped up but it wasn't clear whether it completely blocks you out of 2nd or just influences you to go to 4th. On top of that the mph and rpm range do not affect the smoothness at all. Maybe its breaking in? I only have 1100 miles on it so far

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
My 2nd gear feels a little harder to get into compared to every other gear. Like the gap is too small. 3rd to 4th I can do with my finger tips but 1st to 2nd requires a bit more convincing. I've searched the forums and this skip shifting feature popped up but it wasn't clear whether it completely blocks you out of 2nd or just influences you to go to 4th. On top of that the mph and rpm range do not affect the smoothness at all. Maybe its breaking in? I only have 1100 miles on it so far
The skip shift "feature" forces you to go from 1st directly to 4th. This happens only at really low speeds as you're taking off. It has nothing to do with shift smoothness.

It's extremely frustrating to most folks and, as far as I'm concerned, can be very dangerous when you just pulled out into traffic and can't change into 2nd gear and go.

Installing a very inexpensive eliminator is well worth every penny!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
My experience with skip shift is old. My 2001 Camaro Z28 had it, as did my 2006 GTO. With the Z28 I just adapted a slightly different driving style that caused the skip shift to not interfere when I shifted from 1st to 2nd.

With the GTO I used a Predator tool to disable the feature.

To the best of my recollection if I drove either car in such a way as to not trigger skip shift the 1st to 2nd shift was unaffected, felt no different than the shift from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and so on.

When the skip shift feature attempted to intervene I could override/force the transmission into 2nd but it felt "wrong" to the point I only did this very seldom when I wasn't thinking and didn't accelerate to a high enough speed in 1st to avoid the skip shift feature kicking in and try to direct the shift to 4th gear.

A "test"...

With the engine transmission up to temperature parked on level ground with the parking brake set push the clutch pedal down completely and move the shift lever into 1st then 2nd and so on. Then move the shift lever from random gear to random gear like from 3rd to 1st. 1st to 5th and so on.

The gear lever should move from gear to gear with no difficulty. If it doesn't this can be a sign of linkage trouble or something inside the transmission or even something wrong with the clutch. (The clutch pedal action may not be sufficient to completely disengage the engine from the transmission.)

If there is any difficulty there is probably nothing you can do and the behavior is not going to get any better.

Get the car in and demo the behavior and get it looked into. If you are told "they all do that" insist on a demonstration of this.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have the same issue OP. I even have eliminated the skip shift but that solonoid is still there and 2nd gear is sticky..... i just jam it into second evey time no other option lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a new shifter eliminate this? I drove home today and 1st gear is notchy too. They pretty much all are but 3 4 5 and 6 arent as bad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Shifter Nibble

Will a new shifter eliminate this? I drove home today and 1st gear is notchy too. They pretty much all are but 3 4 5 and 6 arent as bad.

Search "Clutch Delay Valve Delete". I had the same issue, remove the clutch delay valve and it's 100 times better. Took all of 10 minutes to complete....once I got the car up on stands. Here is just one thread. It works, guaranteed!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f180/clutch-delay-valve-cdv-removal-552705/

Here is a 2nd good one: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f180/clutch-delay-valve-469058/

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Deleting the clutch delay valve cleaned up my 1-2 shift by a fair amount.

As mentioned, skip shift completely locks out 2nd. Sport mode disables the skip shift feature, on some cars. I'm only familiar with the 2018 model year.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can attest to the skip shift and CDV removal improving the situation, but not outright fixing it.
That being said, DO BOTH!!! Seriously, few things in life will match the frustration of pulling into traffic and literally having to choose between being rear-ended and shifting into 4th at basically your idle RPM.

I am sure that it would be possible to fix the 1st-2nd notchiness, but I have developed the habit of either double clutching 1-2 (when driving economically), or just taking it up to 4K and skipping straight into 3rd if I'm cutting into moving traffic.

It's pretty sad, I double clutch 1-2 more than I do downshifting... I would think that this should be a non issue with late model vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Give it some more miles.

On the '15+ I notice that it takes a more deliberate effort to make sure you're all the way into the gate for 2nd gear. I pull back a bit more to get all the way into the gate.

I've had a couple of times (early on after delivery) thinking I was in 2nd and grinded when I let the clutch out or popped out of gear.

The bushings (and shorter shift lever) were revised from the '09 - '14 which was a more floppy OEM shifter action / feel.

I have 14k on the '16 and the shift effort going into 2nd has improved - less effort than when I first had it.

Reactions: trippytro
1 - 10 of 10 Posts