Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I plan on swapping out the differential on my 2010 SE once the weather gets a little nicer out. I have a few questions about the axle removal part.... how are they attached to the differential??? I've read a lot of the threads about this swap and even the good one on another forum about it so I pretty much understand the process. I've just never had to mess with a vehicle with axles like this before and want to make sure I do it right. Any suggestions or ideas to make this swap easier and with out hassle would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would guess it would take the better part of the day and a few beers I have a 2011 that I want to do the swap on but the parts just are not available without spending 2k +. Let us know the outcome and the ratio you go with.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ring/pinion sets are $500. So unless you cannot re-use all your existing hardware (I assume you can) I don't see why it would ever cost $2000. Especially if you're doing the job yourself like this guy.

However, I do think you'll need a tuner to program the new ratio into the ECU. That's pretty expensive. If you're going up to 3.07 the dealership should be able to do it for you though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ring/pinion sets are $500. So unless you cannot re-use all your existing hardware (I assume you can) I don't see why it would ever cost $2000. Especially if you're doing the job yourself like this guy.

However, I do think you'll need a tuner to program the new ratio into the ECU. That's pretty expensive. If you're going up to 3.07 the dealership should be able to do it for you though.
Everyone is telling me that an after market ring and pinion is not available for the 200 mm rear end that I would have to get the whole assembly with axles and everything else from a bone yard but if I can get just a ring and pinion that would be a lot cheaper.

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
OK, I plan on swapping out the differential on my 2010 SE once the weather gets a little nicer out. I have a few questions about the axle removal part.... how are they attached to the differential??? I've read a lot of the threads about this swap and even the good one on another forum about it so I pretty much understand the process. I've just never had to mess with a vehicle with axles like this before and want to make sure I do it right. Any suggestions or ideas to make this swap easier and with out hassle would be appreciated!!!
what gear ratio???, maybe be better to upgrade to a 226mm Getrag
Luke

·
Registered
387 Posts
Chrysler - Richmond Gear

It's actually a 198mm axle, though you hear it called 200mm most of the time. They have 3.23 and 3.55 ratios available, although it's listed for older all-wheel-drive Charger and Magnum cars only. I don't see why it won't work in a Challenger.

Does anybody know if the Challenger is different from the Charger?

And for the record, I called the dealership this morning and all they can sell is the 3.07 as a complete assembly for $3,000. Screw that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I called dodge and they told me 198mm carrier is not the same as a 200mm. This has got to be the most complicated gear swap ever. I will probably wait till warranty is up and buy a whole getrag 226 with axles and hubs I see complete kits from wreked cars on ebay for under 2k with low miles. If there's an easier way let me know

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what gear ratio???, maybe be better to upgrade to a 226mm Getrag
Luke
Gonna install the 3.64, but i also have access to a 3.90 so i'll have to decide.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chrysler - Richmond Gear

It's actually a 198mm axle, though you hear it called 200mm most of the time. They have 3.23 and 3.55 ratios available, although it's listed for older all-wheel-drive Charger and Magnum cars only. I don't see why it won't work in a Challenger.

Does anybody know if the Challenger is different from the Charger?

And for the record, I called the dealership this morning and all they can sell is the 3.07 as a complete assembly for $3,000. Screw that.
A 198mm isn't the same as a 200mm.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So they made 198, 200, 210, 215, and 226mm differentials for these cars? What kind of stupid engineering is that??

Looks like the junkyard is going to be my only hope because I'm not shelling out $3K for a new diff.

·
Registered
14,047 Posts
Bigger stronger rear ends are heavier and more expensive so they will use only what they need to get the job done and make it thru warranty. The 200mm is probably all that is needed on the SXT and don't see the 215mm used on SXT any more (used 2011 and 2012 but 2013-up looks like 200mm only). The 226mm is manual trans and SRT only so that is understandable (also extra cost Anti-Spin option on RT auto), the 215mm seems to be RT automatic only now and not sure about the 210mm, what was that used in?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I don't know or care if the 198mm and 200mm are the same, sure the gear is different, but is the housing the same and the Dodge dealer has no clue, so any call is worthless. If it takes the same shafts then functionally it is the same rear. So do a part number check on a ABS axle from 2010 and one from a 2011 if they are the same then any 198mm junk yard rear for $60.00 should do from 3.6 to 3.9 and it is easy to swap out you just need two ratshits on the rear drop and work the diff forward as you unbolt. Gut feeling this is a direct swap. If not pickup the two shafts offer the pick-a-part $150 total and if he says no just start packing up and then well just for you and just for today...

When I do a general search on all shafts used on a Dodge / Chrysler left side I get four total:
2008 Challenger SRT8
215mm DPP EZH
200MM DED ERB
226MM EZC (5.7 MANUAL) EZH DRC

Don't know how accurate it is, note I did NOT see 198mm listed.

This is suppose to be a picture of a 3.06 SE or R/T open diff... it is very different from my 198mm

note that the vendor is listing these SE or R/T as 3.06 with LSD ( I highly doubt it as looks like the standard mittingen), the subframe has an offset bolt hole also, don't know if it has a "normal" semetrical bolt hole for a 198mm diff, my guess is that all 3.06 are 215mm offset bolt for SE or R/T, I need to find a 2.65 diff from a 2011, the fitment is list as "different" so I assume that the 2.65 is like or identical to the 198mm carrier.

198mm

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I lived close to a big junk yard I would go down and compare a 198 and 200 side by side but we only have a pick a part here with old junk nothing newer

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been doing some searching and here is what i found out. 2011 - 2013 Challengers SE/SXT with 2.65 as well as 2011 - 2013 Chargers use THE SAME rear. They are stock # 68041031AA and 68087980AA. There is no difference in size, 198mm/200mm is throw off bs by the company. I guess the didn't measure right the first time so they changed it to 200mm the 2nd time. Either way 198mm/200mm is in fact the same. Everyone needs to go to a dealership with their vin and request a full copy of their cars options. It will list everything as mine did and will help a lot when trying to search for everything that they labeled crazy. Here is where i found my info Axle Assembly. Fits: 2013 DODGE CHALLENGER CORE 3.6L V6 24V VVT, 5-Speed Auto W5A580 | FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS You will need your options list the help understand the DRD, DLC, and stuff like that but pretty much DRD is 200mm and DLC is 2.65. Well you get the idea, I almost bet my life that 3.23 or what ever you get for a 198mm will be the same for the 200mm. As i get some $ together i will be ordering 3.23 for the 198mm and put them in my 200mm. Hope this helps. Before i found this i was almost sure 198mm and 200mm were different. Glad i kept searching! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been doing some searching and here is what i found out. 2011 - 2013 Challengers SE/SXT with 2.65 as well as 2011 - 2013 Chargers use THE SAME rear. They are stock # 68041031AA and 68087980AA. There is no difference in size, 198mm/200mm is throw off bs by the company. I guess the didn't measure right the first time so they changed it to 200mm the 2nd time. Either way 198mm/200mm is in fact the same. Everyone needs to go to a dealership with their vin and request a full copy of their cars options. It will list everything as mine did and will help a lot when trying to search for everything that they labeled crazy. Here is where i found my info Axle Assembly. Fits: 2013 DODGE CHALLENGER CORE 3.6L V6 24V VVT, 5-Speed Auto W5A580 | FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS You will need your options list the help understand the DRD, DLC, and stuff like that but pretty much DRD is 200mm and DLC is 2.65. Well you get the idea, I almost bet my life that 3.23 or what ever you get for a 198mm will be the same for the 200mm. As i get some $ together i will be ordering 3.23 for the 198mm and put them in my 200mm. Hope this helps. Before i found this i was almost sure 198mm and 200mm were different. Glad i kept searching! :banana::banana::banana::banana:
let us know the outcome

1 - 20 of 63 Posts