Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on a post that the MDS should come on at highway speeds, but I know that mine comes on at every speed, so I was wondering how it is suppose to be? I have had my car for about 8 months and the MDS drives me crazy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
What year is yours? My '10 will go into MDS as often as possible above 20mph. If I'm in "D" and it's flat road, no acceleration, the MDS always want's to engage.

Some folks use auto stick, and some buy a tuner to turn it off.

Reactions: Bills RT

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I just read on a post that the MDS should come on at highway speeds, but I know that mine comes on at every speed, so I was wondering how it is suppose to be? I have had my car for about 8 months and the MDS drives me crazy.

MDS cant come on at any speed....maybe you are confusing MDS with the ECO light on the dash?
The eco light just means you are not driving it hard enough, lay into the throttle!

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
MDS cant come on at any speed....maybe you are confusing MDS with the ECO light on the dash?
The eco light just means you are not driving it hard enough, lay into the throttle!
Anything over 20mph on mine, level road, no load, just cruising, and the MDS does kick in on my '10.................and it's not just the ECO light. I can tell by the exhaust note change. The infamous 4 cylinder sound.

Same at any hiway speed with the above same parameters.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It will not come on less the 20mph or over 70mph per the manual. Mine comes on anytime I let off the throttle (in that range), going down hill, or a flat road. Anytime the computer determines that it only needs the four cylinders, it turns it on. I find myself using autostick,paddle shifting most of the time to keep it off....mostly out of fear of the timing chain issue.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
It will not come on less the 20mph or over 70mph per the manual. Mine comes on anytime I let off the throttle (in that range), going down hill, or a flat road. Anytime the computer determines that it only needs the four cylinders, it turns it on. I find myself using autostick,paddle shifting most of the time to keep it off....mostly out of fear of the timing chain issue.
My '10's MDS is so "aggressive", that it'll stay on at 75-80mph on flat Interstate driving too. When I say aggressive, I mean that any chance that it gets to go to the MDS mode, it will.

I can hear it even with my stock exhaust system. LOL

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Before I disabled it with a tuner, mine would come on at 35mph if the speed was steady. I didn't realize it until after I got the resonator delete pipes, then it was very obvious.

·
Registered
360 Posts
While I may be in the minority on this, I do agree MDS is annoying when it kicks in, but it does a decent job at increasing my mpgs. In the city I was averaging 9mpg with MDS turned off, now that I reactivated it I'm getting 13mpgs. Mds does nothing for me on the highway as I have a lead foot in autostick mode and sports mode engaged, but I still manage a nice 18-20 mpgs on the highway

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Some folks use auto stick, and some buy a tuner to turn it off.
+1. I used to like the idea of having my cake (V8) and eating it (fuel economy), but given the added complexity, annoying characteristics (noise, vibration, lag) and reliability concerns (timing chain) it's become clear to me, once again, that there's never a free lunch. Aftermarket exhausts make the MDS mode and transitions heinous, and yes, this takes place as soon as the load drops, which is quite often in Drive. For a potential 2 mpg extra it's not worth it to me.

The MDS? Kill that thing with fire.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
While I may be in the minority on this, I do agree MDS is annoying when it kicks in, but it does a decent job at increasing my mpgs. In the city I was averaging 9mpg with MDS turned off, now that I reactivated it I'm getting 13mpgs. Mds does nothing for me on the highway as I have a lead foot in autostick mode and sports mode engaged, but I still manage a nice 18-20 mpgs on the highway

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've figured that the MDS get me about 2mpg more than without it. A lot depends on the roads. I've got a lot of hilly areas, and I can get about the same mpg with the MDS active, or using autostick on these, at 65mph. Just too many hills, and it's always kicking in and out.

On my last road trip to the Rockies, I left it in "D", and for the 2k mile trip, I averaged a little better than 25mpg. Not bad considering the long 75-80mph stretches of Interstate, plenty of two laners, and more than my fair share of WOT's.

It's a nice feature like mentioned, but there have been some "issues" LOL

No plans on "tuning" mine off. I just use it when I want, or use the autostick.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Anything over 20mph on mine, level road, no load, just cruising, and the MDS does kick in on my '10.................and it's not just the ECO light. I can tell by the exhaust note change. The infamous 4 cylinder sound.

Same at any hiway speed with the above same parameters.
Right...but he said at every speed, meaning, less than 20 MPH the way I read it.

You can get the eco light at about 5 MPH and light throttle, so thats why I assumed that was the issue....we have lots of customers who call and say MDS wasn't turned off, since they still see the ECO light, assuming they are tied together.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts

Then stop driving like a panzy!:fight:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is a 2013. I do have the two mixed up. I always thought the two worked together,but since I am mistaken, is it the MDS that's causing the engine to go up and down? Every time I get on the gas I get stopped.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
You can get the eco light at about 5 MPH and light throttle, so thats why I assumed that was the issue....we have lots of customers who call and say MDS wasn't turned off, since they still see the ECO light, assuming they are tied together.
Thanks for stating that, Mike. Many believe that the ECO light IS an MDS light and I've argued against this here pretty hard before. A quick online search showed me that people are confused about this on various forums about 50% of the time.
Incidentally, that red ECO light (that I didn't want anymore than the MDS) can be very easily disabled from the EVIC. I think it's basically a load indicator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts