Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on some 2010 Challengers, there is a brace in the middle of the trunk. I saw this on a Mopar 10 car on Ebay. Is this to stiffen the rear of the car? Do all the cars have them? Does this come out? It seems like it is in the dead center of the otherwise large trunk. Any thoughs on how this impact the average traveler needing to have room for a suit case?

Thx

Scot

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
It's a rear strut brace you can add that does the same as the front strut brace for the rear.

Here's another example with description. It's not the same strut, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see the use of having a front strut brace but I find it hard to believe there is that much flexibility in the rear of the car. Have those braces been proven to affect handling?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can see the use of having a front strut brace but I find it hard to believe there is that much flexibility in the rear of the car. Have those braces been proven to affect handling?
Most people that have them claim they improve the performance.
I don't have one yet, it's on my list.
I have the front and it seemed to make a difference so I would think the back would as well.
Cornering would be the time you would notice it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put the front one on my RT and it made a noticable difference. Going to add a rear one once I get my tax $$$ back . The MOPAR one is stupid expensive. There are better, and less expensive ones available.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me know when you try them out and if you have any hard numbers or driving impressions to report. Nothing dispels or confirms theory like results.

I just tend to believe that if there was that much movement in the rear, you would have rear window or trunk seal problems.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the rear arched bar from Speedlogix and made by Razors Edge. It is raised in the center. It will take away room but not as much as the Mopar 10 brace, who by the way is made by Razors Edge.

It does stiffen up the rear some and RE has the engineering to prove it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just put on the front and rear braces. Got them from Petty's Garage,they also will paint them to match the color of your car.

Took out my car for first time with these mods on, and it feels so nice. Did not notice any wheel hop on hard launches. Also noticed when taking off while making turns you can really leave your foot in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the rear arched bar from Speedlogix and made by Razors Edge. It is raised in the center. It will take away room but not as much as the Mopar 10 brace, who by the way is made by Razors Edge.

It does stiffen up the rear some and RE has the engineering to prove it.

That's the one I want to get.
I've been hesitant because it looks tough to install with all the fancy trunk lining.
Looks like you took yours all out.
Did you ever put it back together or did you just leave it as it is in the pictures?
Also, was it hard to get the trunk lining out?
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's mine with the lining. Got a local body to paint and install.

Looks Great ! :bigthumb:
In looking at it, I think they just cut the liner without taking it apart.
Problem will be guessing the right spot to cut it.
Wish your car was here so I could measure it.
Thanks for posting !

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I noticed on some 2010 Challengers, there is a brace in the middle of the trunk. I saw this on a Mopar 10 car on Ebay. Is this to stiffen the rear of the car? Do all the cars have them? Does this come out? It seems like it is in the dead center of the otherwise large trunk. Any thoughs on how this impact the average traveler needing to have room for a suit case?

Thx

Scot
Hey Scot I just received the optional rear strut brace from Mopar (P5155751) for my 09 SRT...I say just received because I ordered it before xmas and it showed up this week without instructions and without the two plastic side covers that help hide the holes that must be made in the soft side trunk liners. Anyway, just resting the brace in the truck to see what it will look like it does cut at least the back 1/3 of usable trunk space. However, the trunk is so large in the Challanger I would say no issues with a suit case or two in the front of the brace. Hope that helps...Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts