Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question about tinting windows

What percent do you recommend when tinting windows? What percent is legal? Or does the percent differs from state to state?

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Tint Laws

This site shows a general overview for each state. I don't know if it's current or accurate so best to check with law enforcement to be sure but it shows NC to be a "35% Net" state. That means that the total amount of light able to shine thru your windows must be at least 35%. This does not mean that 35% Tint is legal however and in a 35% net state it would not be. The reason? Well, your factory windows are already tinted and usually allow about 80% light thru. If you put 35% tint on top of 80% you are now down to only about 28% light transmission and this would be below the 35% requirement and illegal. Check with a good shop but don't always assume that they know the law, it's your car and you are responsible not them.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just had mine tinted yesterday. Used 35% tint and I think its too dark for my own taste. You can see out fine, but it looks too dark from outside. I am not worried about any tickets here in NY (Wink, Wink).

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just did 35. My state is 50 but....what the hell. I heard it is a secondary violation...so that technically they can't stop you just for tint. Can anyone confirm that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts