Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the basic suspension on an SXT the same as the rest of the Challengers? I'm going to be putting new tires on my SXT eventually, I've currently got the stock ones on 18x8.5 wheels. Stock offset, +20.

I'm looking a few tire options that don't radically change the tire diameter. 255/50R18, or 265/50R18. Both are nearly the same 28.2 dia.

Of course the 255 is only available (at a reasonable price) in NT402S, which is supposed to be a performance SUV tire. I've read a number of reviews from people using them on Challengers and other sport cars. They seem to be OK. The 265 is the NT255.

Has anyone else run 265/50R18 on their SXT? Wondering about fitment issues as the front seem kind of tight on the top control arm(?).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
It is my knowledge that the v6 suspension is not the same throughout all the challengers.
If you have the stock wheel a 255 will fit. Stock tires to 255's will be a barely noticeable difference
Could always just keep the skinnier ones in the front and put the 255 in back.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I know springs and in some cases struts are different. But what about the control arms and clearances?

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Clearances are going to be different naturally from the different models.
However the 255's should fit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Clearances are going to be different naturally from the different models.
However the 255's should fit.
Why do you say that? Aren't they built with the same control arms and such? I know the spring rates vary and there are some with electronic control in the struts, but I don't really see why that would require a different control arm part number. I guess I should hit up Rock-Auto or similar to get part numbers for various models to compare.

EDIT: Check at Rock auto...at least for the 5.7 models the suspension parts...control arms, strut mounts...are the same part numbers. I guess that means if it fits an RT it should also fit an SXT.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I guess that means if it fits an RT it should also fit an SXT.
I'd agree with that assumption. Nothing special or different in regards to axles/suspensions and subsequent clearances until you get into higher end, higher performance models such as ScatPaks, SRT's and Hellcats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts