Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for two part question. Anyways today was looking under hood at my daily drivers engine bay . The cover looks ridiculous. Plastic covers just are not my thing , I don’t care v6 or v8. Anyways I took it off .. will this do any harm to engine ??
2nd question is I am hearing a lot about catch pan and it is very important ..is this a good idea to invest in one ? Thank you guys in advanve for any answers.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
I think cover looks great :D Unfortunately not many alternatives for the V6. Painting/hydrodipping is about it

A catch can can't hurt, less common on the V6s I believe

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
The engine cover is strictly for decoration. As far as the oil catch can goes, it's not needed if you run top tier gas and occassionally drop a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaner in your tank. These engines are port injected so the fuel blows over the valves and helps keep them clean if you use top tier gas. Yes a catch can will remove some oil from the PCV vapors and keep the back of the throttle body cleaner but I used only top tier gas and when I removed my throttle on my 5.7 Ram, it was still clean after 40k miles just a dusting of carbon around the throttle plate. Now if you ever get a vehicle with a direct injection engine, I would consider a catch can mandatory. Fuel never touches the valves on a DI engine and the carbon builds up FAST. Luckily most of FCA's engines are still port injected. There was a picture a guy (not our A Guy) posted who had a Chevy Silverado with only 30k miles on it. He pulled off the intake and the valves were so packed with carbon, I don't know how any air got by. Some of the European makes require that the valves be blasted with crushed walnuts every 30k miles. I plan on staying clear of DI engines as long as possible. Not worth the extra one mpg you might get with a DI engine. Toyota uses an aux. injector in the port location on their DI engines to help but I'm not a Toyota guy.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm sure the FCA engineer would say a lot of time was spent on developing that plastic cover to help dampen the engine noise, and maintain the engine heat temperature under the hood.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
The 2009 and 2010 Challenger SE's didn't have an engine cover for the 3.5 engine. They looked ugly, so I assumed the cover on the 3.6 was for cosmetic purposes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I do think it likely exposes that foam stuff to more heat (reflected exhaust heat).
I think I'll ditch both together at first plug change.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I left my cover off too, BTW., so I totally agree with everyone. But just for discussion, it's not always about cooling. It's about heating things up to operating temp, faster. And then let internal cooling do it's thing.

Some cars have the cat way too close to the header (IMO). The idea is that the hot exhaust gas will heat up the cat, so it can start working faster, for cleaner air. Being too close (IMO) is because as there is a chance the dust from the cat breaking down can be sucked back up into the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts