Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought a 2017 challenger scat pack a couple weeks ago. I have read and watching videos of people doing the mid muffler delete. I really like the way it sounds. My only question is will the car still pass a inspection test. I live in Texas and wondering if it will still pass emissions test. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,880 Posts
Emissions will be unchanged by a muffler swap. If emissions is your only inspection worry, you should be fine.

Some important notes to remember on Texas laws governing exhaust systems are:
1. Texas state inspectors inspect the exhaust system for holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.
2. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.
3. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides of the "passenger compartment", and not be in a position where exhaust gases could penetrate inside the passenger compartment. Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover, this truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment. The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment.
4. Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.
5. State inspectors do not check how loud your exhaust system is, only that it is present, in good condition, and functioning. However, some cities and counties in Texas have ordinances against "loud" exhaust and you could be pulled over, maybe even ticketed. See "Noise and volume" below for more on loud exhaust.
Pro Exhaust LAWS

A Guy

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Guess it depends where. There was somebody posting on this not long ago and he said that his part of Texas would fail him on the visual part of the emissions test for a muffler delete.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,880 Posts
Yeah, I reread my reply, and I worded it badly. I meant if emissions were the only thing, but looks like they require a muffler...or a through pipe that LOOKS like a muffler ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have a mid muffler SWAP to Dynomax and a resonator delete on my 392.
I also had it on my 2014 R/T, mid muffler swap to Super 44s and resonator delete:

No issues on passing inspection on my R/T at all. I'm in San Antonio. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts