Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I've been battling with notchy shifting and getting stuck in gear in my '15 r/t plus Shaker, which i use as a daily driver. A dealer just replaced my transmission under warranty but it's still acting up. Someone from the Z recommended I stop by here and see if people have had issues and what they've done. I've been kicking around numerous theories over the past year that I've tried to relay to the shops that have looked at it. Current theory is clutch, pilot bearing or throw out bearing

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
Did they lube the input shaft with the correct grease when they installed the new trans (incorrect lube used to be a problem on the earlier year manual trans)? These trans are a bit notchy but being stuck in gear suggests the clutch may not be disengaging or there is an issue internally despite it being a new trans. To get rid of the notchy shifts most recommend going with carbon fiber blockers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they lube the input shaft with the correct grease when they installed the new trans (incorrect lube used to be a problem on the earlier year manual trans)? These trans do are a bit notchy but being stuck in gear suggests the clutch may not be disengaging or there is an issue internally despite it being a new trans. To get rid of the notchy shifts most recommend going with carbon fiber blockers.

I can only hope they used the correct materials when they replaced the transmission but I really have no way to verify. They told me it's a brand new transmission. I assume they used whatever Mopar reccomends. I can't imagine I would have to upgrade stock parts to have a car that works normally and doesn't get stuck in gear but if that's the case, it's not something my warranty would cover and I understand the labor on that job is expensive. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
86 Posts
According to Tremec if your trans is 2012 or newer It already has the carbon fiber blocker rings in it. The tr6060 6M is the worst shifting standard I have ever driven. Road ranger trans in semi trucks are smoother, better shifting and they don't have syncros in them. Your problem is most likely the input shaft splines,clutch disc splines, and pilot bearing need to be cleaned and re-greased. From what I understand Ford has a grease for this that is far superior to Fait/ Chryslers grease. It wont stick any more and shift better but it will still be notchy and cluncky shifting. If you call up Tremec, they have never heard of these problems before. I've call them at least 5 times since I bought my 2012 Challenger and received the same answer each time. I found that hilarious because I told them about it 5 times and I am sure I am not the only one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to Tremec if your trans is 2012 or newer It already has the carbon fiber blocker rings in it. The tr6060 6M is the worst shifting standard I have ever driven. Road ranger trans in semi trucks are smoother, better shifting and they don't have syncros in them. Your problem is most likely the input shaft splines,clutch disc splines, and pilot bearing need to be cleaned and re-greased. From what I understand Ford has a grease for this that is far superior to Fait/ Chryslers grease. It wont stick any more and shift better but it will still be notchy and cluncky shifting. If you call up Tremec, they have never heard of these problems before. I've call them at least 5 times since I bought my 2012 Challenger and received the same answer each time. I found that hilarious because I told them about it 5 times and I am sure I am not the only one.
a lot of people seem to not have the problems I have. What is the grease? I will give it to the dodge dealer and tell them to use that one. Although I'm sure if it's not ordained by dodge, he won't use it.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
a lot of people seem to not have the problems I have. What is the grease? I will give it to the dodge dealer and tell them to use that one. Although I'm sure if it's not ordained by dodge, he won't use it.
It goes on the input shaft, it's been common practice for decades to lightly grease the input shaft so the clutch is free to slide in and out but depending on who does the job, they might have no clue.

Is it spelled out in their manual and do they even follow it? No idea.

But if the shaft is dry the clutch will hang up and cause shifting problems. The issue with the older cars was that the factory grease eventually dried out and caused the clutch to stick, no grease would be just as bad.

You'd like to think they did it right but I've learned never to assume that, just a different world today with what should be common knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It goes on the input shaft, it's been common practice for decades to lightly grease the input shaft so the clutch is free to slide in and out but depending on who does the job, they might have no clue.

Is it spelled out in their manual and do they even follow it? No idea.

But if the shaft is dry the clutch will hang up and cause shifting problems. The issue with the older cars was that the factory grease eventually dried out and caused the clutch to stick, no grease would be just as bad.

You'd like to think they did it right but I've learned never to assume that, just a different world today with what should be common knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not sure if you've been following my many threads, but what do you suggest I do at this point, hold the hand of the mechanic and tell them what I think he needs to do to make my car run as designed? Do I need to go to an independent shop and just pay for everything out of pocket so that it will work as expected? Call it a day, sell the dodge and get a different muscle car? Damn, maybe I should've been listening to Al Bundy all these years.. "damn dodge"

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,710 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
The problem is the 75% the duel disc clutch( to many moving parts) and 25% the tremec TR6060 piss poor shifting ability. The clutch dust gets into the grease and then over time the grease starts to coagulate and won't let the clutch discs slide or the pilot bearing turn, which makes the trans lock in gear. I don't know what the Ford grease is called but it is robin egg blue in color and a mechanic gave a small amount to a friend and told him to tell me that it will cure all my shifting problems and would last better than the Chrysler grease. I've got a new clutch for the car and i am going to try the Ford grease when I change it. Now for another sticky clutch problem I've had is on my BMW K1100 RS motorcycle. The BMW grease for the input shaft ( this bikes have dry clutches and divorce trans like a car) would last a couple of years and start sticking again. I found on a K-bike forum that some of these guys were using a 50/50 mix of Wurth SIG 3000 heavy equipment grease and Honda Moly 60 paste with good results, so I tried it . Its been 8 years now with no clutch problems on the bike. So I am torn between using the Wurth/Honda mix and the Ford grease.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem is the 75% the duel disc clutch( to many moving parts) and 25% the tremec TR6060 piss poor shifting ability. The clutch dust gets into the grease and then over time the grease starts to coagulate and won't let the clutch discs slide or the pilot bearing turn, which makes the trans lock in gear. I don't know what the Ford grease is called but it is robin egg blue in color and a mechanic gave a small amount to a friend and told him to tell me that it will cure all my shifting problems and would last better than the Chrysler grease. I've got a new clutch for the car and i am going to try the Ford grease when I change it. Now for another sticky clutch problem I've had is on my BMW K1100 RS motorcycle. The BMW grease for the input shaft ( this bikes have dry clutches and divorce trans like a car) would last a couple of years and start sticking again. I found on a K-bike forum that some of these guys were using a 50/50 mix of Wurth SIG 3000 heavy equipment grease and Honda Moly 60 paste with good results, so I tried it . Its been 8 years now with no clutch problems on the bike. So I am torn between using the Wurth/Honda mix and the Ford grease.
Ok thanks for that. It seems something else may be going on in my case since they just dropped a new transmission into the car so issues that would occur after a long period of time shouldn't apply here. I will take into consideration your grease suggestions for the future

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm thinking the mechanic didn't clean the splines on the clutch discs and the pilot bearing and re-grease them even though the trans splines were new and clean. You have to take the clutch out to clean and re-grease properly. There are YouTube videos on the subject.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a customer if mine rebuilding a 2012 392 tremec tr-6060 right now in his shop that belongs to my buddy, and he is upgrading the synchro rings. Im actually waiting for the results to report back to the forum i think its going to be a 100% fix for the notchines of our transmissions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a customer if mine rebuilding a 2012 392 tremec tr-6060 right now in his shop that belongs to my buddy, and he is upgrading the synchro rings. Im actually waiting for the results to report back to the forum i think its going to be a 100% fix for the notchines of our transmissions.
upgrading to carbon fiber? According to 19dart66, tremecs already have carbon fiber blockers. Is he talking about something else? Curious to know how it works out for your customer

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
upgrading to carbon fiber? According to 19dart66, tremecs already have carbon fiber blockers. Is he talking about something else? Curious to know how it works out for your customer
No, semi metallic. As in carbon and metallic. Makes for a smoother surface for the synchro rings to slide in and out, the carbon gets “sticky” for lack if a better term

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This is interesting, I second that curiosity to know how these new blocker rings work out.
A while ago there was a video someone put out about his gt500 and found a shop that let him film the whole process through and through. Have to find that link later for you guys but it made sense to me!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
According to Tremec if your trans is 2012 or newer It already has the carbon fiber blocker rings in it.
This 2017 copyright document from tremec states they are sintered bonze?

This article on building a beefed up Magnum (almost identical to the TR 6060) also shows sintered bronze.

T56 vs TR6060

1 - 20 of 21 Posts