Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2017 yellow jacket RT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry mods, wasn't sure where to post this.

Question for everyone who has installed the Barton short throw shifter. Are all units the same? I've seen some listings where you can keep your stock shifter and some where you can order the Barton with an included stick and knob. Are both Barton shifters the same except one comes with a different stick included?

I scored a good deal on one off of Facebook marketplace, does not come with a stick. Am I safe to assume I can use my stock shifter? It was a good deal so I figured I'd jump on it and worry about the rest afterwards lol. TIA

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are two Barton shifters. The only difference is the shifter handle connection. One comes with the flat stick and one comes with an OEM connection that allows you to use your stock shifter handle. If you look at the Barton website you will see both. The OEM connection one does allow you to purchase a flat stick at a later date for an additional $125 I believe. The seller should be able to tell you if the one they have is OEM since they would have used their stock shifter handle. Hope this helps.

Greg

·
Registered
2017 yellow jacket RT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks I ended up finding one right after I missed out on your listing. I just did another check and it is for the stock shifter handle. The person believed it was for stock but couldn't remember, they received it as a gift and never ended up using it. Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anytime Migs. Here is a great video of the install. Step by step.

He did make one mistake. The black mount block should have the heads of the bolts pointing to the front of the car, not the rear. Also, if you can put the car up on ramps, getting the passenger side pin out and back in is much much easier to do from under the car. Good luck!

Greg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
If you want a really short shifter, get a Lou's Short Shifter and a shifter ball from Speeddawgs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want a really short shifter, get a Lou's Short Shifter and a shifter ball from Speeddawgs.

This is really comparing apples to oranges. Yes, if all you want is to lower your shift handle, get Lou's short shifter, but if you want to replace the semi sloppy shift linkage with what reminds me of a precision bolt action rifle, then get the Barton. Of course if you install the OEM version of the Barton, you can also get the Lou's short shifter along with the Speeddawg ball. I have installed and used both Lou's and the Speeddawg along with installing the Barton along with Mr. Norm's pistol grip shifter. There really isn't any comparison IMHO.

Greg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
This is really comparing apples to oranges. Yes, if all you want is to lower your shift handle, get Lou's short shifter, but if you want to replace the semi sloppy shift linkage with what reminds me of a precision bolt action rifle, then get the Barton. Of course if you install the OEM version of the Barton, you can also get the Lou's short shifter along with the Speeddawg ball. I have installed and used both Lou's and the Speeddawg along with installing the Barton along with Mr. Norm's pistol grip shifter. There really isn't any comparison IMHO.

Greg
Um the Lou short shifter is to be added to the OEM barton...so no apples or oranges being compared newbie.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
FYI the OEM barton shifter assembly with the OEM stick makes it a little higher than the OEM set-up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Um the Lou short shifter is to be added to the OEM barton...so no apples or oranges being compared newbie.
Maybe you should have stated Lou Short Shifter "WITH" Barton OEM shifter... would have been a bit clearer. I didn't notice the OP asking about a short shifter, just a short throw shifter, which is the Barton. Hope this clears things up old timer! 🙄

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
Maybe you should have stated Lou Short Shifter "WITH" Barton OEM shifter... would have been a bit clearer. I didn't notice the OP asking about a short shifter, just a short throw shifter, which is the Barton. Hope this clears things up old timer! 🙄
Oh it's clear alright...you will make a lot of friends here. :rolleyes: The thread I posted was in reference to barton BTW.

·
Registered
2017 yellow jacket RT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ummmm....... guys......... hello. Lol! So with the picture that I posted, which I'm pretty sure is to use with the stock shifter. Which shifter assembly do you recommend? Am I good to go with installing it with the set up I have? Regardless of the stick it will be a huge improvement right?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
Yes I was recommending using Lou's short shifter with the OEM barton shifter assembly before the interruption. I too have the OEM barton and ran the OEM shifter (ball and stick) for a while but it turned out it sat taller than stock set-up...hence why I went with Lou's. Plus it allowed me to change the shifter ball. You can't on the OEM shifter as the ball is pressed in place.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,523 Posts
BTW on a barton with OEM shifter attachment you don't have many choices:

• what came with your car (again you can't swap the ball on it)
  • the mopar shifter (all metal and gets hot to the touch on hot, sunny days)...I think there is a round variant that will also work?
  • Lou's short shifter (you can add a custom ball to it)
Speeddawg carries it.
Dodge Challenger R/T, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat 2015 and Newer Manual Shift Knob Adapter
  • a pistol grip type shifter (you can get a variety of grips)

·
Registered
2017 yellow jacket RT
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. You have both been very helpful. I've never used a pistol grip shifter so id be afraid to spend money on one and not like it. I've already been checking out the Lou's short shifter combo lol. I just saw on the Barton website though that I may be able to add their flat stick and ball combo for 125 bucks. I really like the look of the flat stick, plus I scored a great deal on my Barton. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,209 Posts
So...how short is this Lou that he needed to design a shorter shifter?

BTW, can it be added TO a Barton? :devilish:

A Guy

Reactions: Pauljw

·
Registered
218 Posts
I liked the original shifter so kept it - but I did end up taking one of the Barton 5/6th plane springs out - not being built like pop-eye, and quite oftern using those gears, I was finding the force required to get over there was annoying me.

A bit more annoying, once I got the OE mechanism out, I reckon I could have re-bushed it and made it a lot better in action - I was a little surprised to see how knackered it was in a 2yr old, 20,000 mile car - I've only just changed the wearing components in my Lancia integrale gear-lever mechanism after 28yrs and 200.000, 100,000 of which I put on it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts