Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. I've only lived in Illinois for a few years and have yet needed to do emissions testing. I'm used to California nazi testing.

My question is how are you guys getting away with the emissions with all the mods for our cars? This is the one thing that has held me back from modding my 5.7. Any advice or tips from you experienced folks?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've modded every car that I've owned and lived in IL all my life. Cold Air Intakes and exhaust upgrades we're always one of the first mods and I've never had any issues with emissions. I don't know what else could affect your emissions test as far as modding.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know and read anything that effects cats and ecu usually won't pass not counting visual inspection. I wanted to do headers and cams with tune and as far as I know any one of those mods would not pass.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the custom tune or ECU you have 'ignores' a sensor, like say a downstream O2 one, the car will not pass. I know this from experience from a previous car. Passed for many years up until about 4 years ago so IL must have changed the testing.

Putting bolt ones like intake or headers and exhaust will be fine (as long as cats are there of course). Tunes would be a more gray area I would think. You'd have to look into what the tune does regarding the sensors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wish I could tell you, I've lived in IL since 1980 and been driving since 1986 and have yet to do any emissions testing! Coarse if I kept a car longer than 3 or 4 years I probably would have by now thou! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. Interesting to say bolt ons will still pass, does Illinois not do a visual inspection for CARB like California does? I've read on other forums and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Seems like it all depends on the area and what shop one takes their car too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Emission testing in IL is pretty straight forward. You pull up, hop out of the car and wait in a little glass "hut". The "technician" plugs into your OBD port, does his thing and sends you off.

None of them seem very happy to work there, so it's probably a good thing that it's not too involved.

Check out this video for a demonstration:

https://youtu.be/Ck1vHCoCXd0

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it's almost a case of "If your car isn't throwing an error code, you're all good". I haven't had one done in a while, but yeah, they plug into your OBD and that's pretty much it. CARB is for Cali only. We aren't as congested as LA. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they plug into the obd2 port then I imagine all of the sensors have to say "ready" correct? It's been awhile for me too. From what I've read a lot of modded cars are finicky with it saying ready even if you are not throwing any codes. Come on folks I know there's gotta be some modded challengers that can give me pointers I wanna mod lol

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Next time I have emissions testing, I'll let you know. I have a Borla cat-back system, a CAI, and a supercharger. If any of that stuff causes me to fail, I'll come back here and ***** about it. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol awesome thanks. I don't see the cat back or the intake to cause u to fail, but that blower though... I hope u do pass without issues so I can put one on mine lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
I say bolt on whatever you want. As long as the stock ECU is used, you should be fine. If you go beyond that with some sort of stand-alone or cracked ECU, best to do some research then about codes, sensors, etc. regarding your new tune. If you can throw the old ECU back in for testing, you should be good.

Also remember if you clear any codes, or swap out an ECU, do not go directly to the testing facility. They will know and the car will fail. You have to be able to drive it for a week or so with no codes. Put at least 100 miles on it and go back for testing. Ask me how I know!>:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am a former SoCal resident and I know about the CA emissions crap. I too was worried about modding, but......

I have a 5.7 with a 392 cam, shorty headers, CAT back exhaust, CAI and a custom tune. I got my dreaded notice for testing this year and had to take it in March.

Well no problem, all they did was plug into the OBD port and print out my PASS certificate.

If the check engine light is on and you are throwing codes then automatic fail.

Happy modding!

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
If you reset your PCM and don't drive the car a couple of days to get data on it - fail
If your service engine soon light is on - fail
If your service engine soon light is off but you have a stored or pending PCM code - fail

No visual inspections. I knew someone several years back who ran an O2 cheater (home built using a 555 IC) jumpered to the battery in plain sight under the hood and they passed twice. Lived in IL all my life and only failed once because I reset the PCM the day before (replaced faulty TPS) on an infiniti. I am running corsa extreme cat back with a maggie and am very confident the car will pass next year. Also have a friend with a supercharged bimmer running O2 cheaters downstream and he passed 2 months ago. Back when they use to run the cars on rollers and monitored, exhaust, checked gas cap, did visual inspection...it was a little more difficult to pass. Back when I was in college (90's) I had a fiero and the knuckle head placed the front tires on the rollers even though it was rear wheel drive. In short, you will be fine.

It's the increase in gas tax, the sweet drink tax, increase in income tax, property tax, tolls that you should worry about...well that and the state is financially broke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts