Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Challenger SRT and we all know about the intake manifold bolts. I have a slight engine shake like it has a big cam( I also have heard there Is TSB for this issue as well) but when I tighten bolts it clears up. So my question is should I lock tight the bolts or ??? I was thinking of putting some red lock tight on the bolts and re-torque them. Any input would be great. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I have a 2016 SRT, what am I supposed to know about the intake manifold bolts? :scared:

·
Super Moderator
14,190 Posts
The torque spec for the intake manifold is 105 in. lbs.- not a lot of torque. The service manual does not specify the use of thread locker. There is a pattern to use when tightening the bolts. Tighten in sequence from the middle bolts towards the outside in a crisscross pattern. Be careful not to over tighten or they may break.

Try the above tightening sequence and torque to see if it makes a difference. If the bolts still work loose due to engine vibration, put some blue Loctite on the threads. Make sure it's the blue Loctite and NOT the red (see below).

Blue - Designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools.

Red - Designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. Only removable, once cured, by heating up parts to 500°F.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeah I would definitely not use red loctite... If you use something use blue.

Odd that the bolts work themselves out if you are torquing to specs.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Some think they work loose, others think the plastic shrinks. Either way, many of us have discovered intake bolts that are very loose. Be sure not to over-tighten them, and damage the plastic intake, or break the tiny bolts.

If you look, you can find arguments about whether they need to be re-torqued or not. Some will say that the o-rings are fine for sealing, even after the bolts loosen some. Some say that they feel a difference after tightening them.

I checked mine, and several of them took more than a full turn to reach 105 inch pounds.

Definitely don't use the red Loctite. You'll hate it if you ever need to get it apart, and if it is caused by the plastic shrinking, you won't be able to tighten it more. I did see one person say that after torquing it with blue Loctite, it stayed tight. I wonder if that is because the bolts didn't back out, or if they seemed tight because the Loctite caused more than 105 inch pounds of resistance.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Some think they work loose, others think the plastic shrinks. Either way, many of us have discovered intake bolts that are very loose. Be sure not to over-tighten them, and damage the plastic intake, or break the tiny bolts.

If you look, you can find arguments about whether they need to be re-torqued or not. Some will say that the o-rings are fine for sealing, even after the bolts loosen some. Some say that they feel a difference after tightening them.

I checked mine, and several of them took more than a full turn to reach 105 inch pounds.

Definitely don't use the red Loctite. You'll hate it if you ever need to get it apart, and if it is caused by the plastic shrinking, you won't be able to tighten it more. I did see one person say that after torquing it with blue Loctite, it stayed tight. I wonder if that is because the bolts didn't back out, or if they seemed tight because the Loctite caused more than 105 inch pounds of resistance.
Now that's a good question there! First I've heard about this condition - I'm assuming this issue is for all 2016 6.4L motors?

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
the intake bolts I've removed in the past seem to have a grey color thread locker on them.

They still seem to loosen up a bit - and the 5.7s and 6.4s use the same composite manifold style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts