Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Sorry to post this here, but it seems like the challenger community is a little more well versed on modding as a whole.

I've known for years the truth about intakes. Not trying to start a debate here, but I get it. However on my 5.7 Challenger I ordered one out of pure boredom, because I needed to do SOMETHING, and of course it didn't do much.

This time around on my Scat Pack I'm wondering if it's a little different. Simply because this time I am running a 93 custom hemi fever tune. I know even with the tune its not going to be drastic (if anything). But I got the bug, I need to throw something on the car as the weathers warming up. Currently I have the 93 custom tune, 180 T stat, Dynomax Mids, and a tazer.

Being that I'm tuned is an intake still completely not worth it? Also would I be better off if I'm choosing one or the other would I better off with an intake or a 87MM TB. I'm more curious what the next logical choice is. Or do i suck it up and not doing anything because thats how useless both of those mods will be, tuned or not?

I HATE THIS TIME OF YEAR LOL

Rocco

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
649 Posts
I think a CAI is a cool appearance mod. So if you like the look....go for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
I think a CAI is a cool appearance mod. So if you like the look....go for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This, but with your tune getting any cooler air into the motor will surely help. With my 2015 and the R2C Black Hex intake I did see some better Intake temperatures, times, dyno pulls and seat of the pants performance. With the TA intake from Dodge I have on the 2016, I got nothing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This, but with your tune getting any cooler air into the motor will surely help. With my 2015 and the R2C Black Hex intake I did see some better Intake temperatures, times, dyno pulls and seat of the pants performance. With the TA intake from Dodge I have on the 2016, I got nothing.
You really felt the R2C helped with dynos to back it up? I Had the same intake and filter on my 15 r/t. Not only did I feel nothing, but i couldn't even hear it over my resonator delete.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
You really felt the R2C helped with dynos to back it up? I Had the same intake and filter on my 15 r/t. Not only did I feel nothing, but i couldn't even hear it over my resonator delete.
I did feel it was an improvement. Conditions always change on Dyno even on the same day, but I saw a 12 HP improvement about 5 hours later in the day. The street performance was better I believe due to the 2 degree drop in IAT I was seeing. The Mopar TA intake I have now does not give me any drop in IAT. I think it's because using the center intake stops all that air from cooling the engine bay.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As with just about any air or fuel mod, you will need a tune or in this case a re-tune to get the full effect of it. If you car sees more air flow, its can make minor fuel adjustments with what the MAF is seeing. But for anything better than a few HP, you would need a custom dyno tune. Get 91 or 93, and lug it over to the nearest Hemi dyno tuner. They can dyno or street tune the car to take advantage of the fuel and the increased air flow. But I wouldnt expect more than 15-25 hp at the tire from a CAI and a real dyno tune. Your gains will come when you stack that with headers and say a cam. Then you will see bigger gains.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As with just about any air or fuel mod, you will need a tune or in this case a re-tune to get the full effect of it. If you car sees more air flow, its can make minor fuel adjustments with what the MAF is seeing. But for anything better than a few HP, you would need a custom dyno tune. Get 91 or 93, and lug it over to the nearest Hemi dyno tuner. They can dyno or street tune the car to take advantage of the fuel and the increased air flow. But I wouldnt expect more than 15-25 hp at the tire from a CAI and a real dyno tune. Your gains will come when you stack that with headers and say a cam. Then you will see bigger gains.
I figured so much. I been in contact with my tuner (sean at hemi fever) so if any when I install any of these parts I will send him a data log and have him write me another.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I figured so much. I been in contact with my tuner (sean at hemi fever) so if any when I install any of these parts I will send him a data log and have him write me another.
Exactly what you should do. Honestly you still probably wont be able to tell a difference in power. Maybe it will make the engine sound a tad bit throatier. Or maybe a 1-2 miles per gallon better. But nowadays a CAI is a liability aside from just making the underhood look better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly what you should do. Honestly you still probably wont be able to tell a difference in power. Maybe it will make the engine sound a tad bit throatier. Or maybe a 1-2 miles per gallon better. But nowadays a CAI is a liability aside from just making the underhood look better.
Is a throttle body any better?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts