Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • I'm mounting a DSP/AMP under my driver seat.
  • I anticipate I'll need to use a self tapping screw into the sheet metal for a ground.
    • I'll look for a factory ground/stud first, but I'm just assuming there's nothing in that location besides the seat mounting bolts
  • I don't have a lift or a good place to jack up the car to look underneath for interferences
  • Can anyone tell me if there are any hoses or other interferences that may get damaged by a self tapping screw protruding out the other side?
    • The location would be that little pit under the driver seat
    • I'd probably screw into the side of the wall of that little pit (as opposed screwing straight down into the floor that the amp is sitting on)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
2019 Scat Pack
There is a ground in the floor under the driver seat, under the carpeting. There is the hump in the floor that your seat bracket front bolts go into. The ground is under that carpeting on the side facing the rear of the car. You might have to unbolt the seat and lift it up to pull the carpet away enough to see it.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
431 Posts
What BlackHemi41 said... There is a ground stud under the driver's seat... and passenger's too for that matter. Not a big deal, just a FYI. If you remove the existing wires on the ground stud under the driver's seat, when you put it back together your dash is going to light up for a bit.

If for some reason your car is super special, just keep going back, there is another ground on the driver's side under the rear seat on the wheel hump. While you are there, you might as well clean up your ground stud. It seems Dodge is not too fond of masking things off before painting and cleaning up that overspray on the inside never hurt.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. Just to be clear, I added a picture with some red circles. Is the ground stud kind of on the backside of that front seat mounting hump (where I circled)?

View attachment 1003737
Yeah, going from memory, that is exactly where it is. I used it on the passenger side when I put my under-seat sub there. Was so nice having a perfect grounding location right there. :)

Obviously, you'll have to pull up the carpet. You'll need to remove the plastic piece that has the strips on it (where you could step) and then the carpat is held down with christmas-tree fasteners. Relatively easy process.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks. Yep. That's not my car in the picture, but I am indeed pulling out the seat and so I will be lifting the carpet to run my cables anyway. Glad to hear that there's a stud. I hate drilling holes in panels when I can't see the other side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts