Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be a professional auto body painter and Im thinking of clearcoating the wheels before I install them. Figure brake dust will come off easier and the lip wont dull. I have all the gear just wondering if anybody has done a set and how well it is holding up? I used to paint motorcycle wheels and the time to match the bike and they held up awesome. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
geez I was thinking about how to remove the clear coat on my Heritage wheels so I could polish them real good.Seems like they did not polish them mirror bright before they were clear coated at the factory. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Those rims can be clear coated with standard urethane two part,the same as used on the body.I had a sideline business refinishing alloy rims in the body shop.It's a good idea to use an adhesion promoter first,Bulldog works great.There is a bit of technique to shooting them without runs and dry spots though.lay flat all four on the bench,spray at a high pressure from one side of the bench,move to the opposite side of the bench and spray again,then the other two sides.
Push the clear on,don't try to flow it on.

Removing the OEM clear is simple.Spray a coat of stripper on the rim,let it work for a couple minutes,then power wash.Repeat.Aircraft brand with methylene chloride works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts