Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '14 Challenger Blacktop (picture below!) this winter, and now that my other friendly FWD lease is ending, I'm in need of some winter tires and steelies to get through the rest of the season (and the following years). Here's some additional details:

Current wheels: 20" OEM w/ summer tires
Ordered wheels: 18" Charger Police Steel Wheels 4895425AE
Police Package Lug Nuts: 4895430AB
Police Package Center Caps: 4895432aa

I've ordered the wheels from my local dealer (ready for pickup), and I have a deal set up elsewhere on some winter tires for this week. What I am now seeing in many thread searches and online stores is that I might be in need of some special lug nuts and center caps, conveniently Sold Separately.

My question for anyone that has these wheels or knows much about them is two-fold:
What functional purpose does the center cap provide, if any? I like the look better without them.
Are the special lug nuts needed for some functional reason (thread/torque issues?), or are they just made special to fit under the center cap? If I don't need the cap, why do I need the... you see where I"m going!

Comments appreciated, I'd like to avoid an extra $150-200 on this setup that I didn't see coming (and that my dealer parts store neglected to mention). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The center cap is just for looks; you can leave them off it you like it that way. Personally, I like those wheels with the center caps.

I can't answer about the lug nuts. Maybe they are different because the wheels are steel.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You only need the special lugnuts if you are going to use the caps. The special lugnuts keep the caps on the wheel. They sort of just pop over the lugnuts.

I could not bring myself to spend the insane amount of money that dodge wants for the caps and lugs so I run mine without. Its all for looks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
i didn't buy the caps for my sxt and the stock lugs and mopar lock nuts work perfectly fine, no need to waste money

·
Registered
538 Posts
I love the police wheels but i to despise those center caps. What alternatives are there for center caps on those wheels? On the challenger 1320 they run the police wheels but with a black center cap that only covers the hole but I cannot find an info on it. What is the size of the center hole on the police wheels?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts