Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking the "Licensed ATF+4 brands/Chrysler" site it lists Mobil ATF+4 and Mobil Super ATF+4 as licensed mobil brands for the ATF+4 transmission fluid.

When I go to the mobil 1 site, it lists neither of these, but does list Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Mobil Multi-vehicle ATF. I would assume that the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF would be the proper fluid, but I hate to assume anything.

Can anybody clarify?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I read the specs on Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and there is no mention on the bottle label that it has the Chrysler spec ATF+4 spec on it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
ATF+4 fluids are licensed by Chrysler and are required to meet their specs, so you won't find any ATF that meets multiple specs including ATF+4 (Even though there are some out there that will claim otherwise).

ATF+4 is a synthetic ATF by design and any licensed brand of ATF+4 you buy will have the same formulation (And tend to cost the same price).

Not too long ago I drained the factory ATF out of my 6-speed and put in Red Line C+ATF (Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - C+ ATF) since some folks have said that it helps with the cold nibble/grind from 1-2 and 2-3. At first I thought it was better, but it honestly seems to be just as bad and I've just learned not to shift aggressively until I've driven at least 5-10 miles first. Once up to temp the trans shifts like butter. I've also noticed that if I drive the car every day then I don't really have any problems but if it sits for a couple of days or longer then I can usually expect some rough 1-2 and 2-3 shifts initially.

If you don't use an ATF+4 fluid and end up screwing up the synchros then it won't be covered under warranty (Assuming the dealer finds out you used the wrong fluid, chances are they will ask for receipts showing that you did the maintenance with the correct fluid).

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Makes you wonder about those Camaro Tremec 6060's and what fluid spec they use? They surely don't use Chrysler spec ATF+4. I am guessing they are not build different, maybe gear ratios are a bit different if anything. So tranny fluids such as Amsoil's ATF that meets many builder's specs (they even say ATF+4) should be good for it?! As a matter of fact, on the Amsoil website they specifically mention the Chrysler ATF+4 spec and how they exceed/meet it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
So tranny fluids such as Amsoil's ATF that meets many builder's specs (they even say ATF+4) should be good for it?! As a matter of fact, on the Amsoil website they specifically mention the Chrysler ATF+4 spec and how they exceed/meet it.
AMSoil, nor anyone else, can meet multiple completely different specs at the same time. In fact, people that have run AMSoil ATF in Cummins Rams have had to dump it and go back to proper ATF+4 because the ASMoil didn't have the correct friction properties and resulted in TC shudder and poor shifting. Since AMSoil isn't a licensed supplier of ATF+4 they do not have the ATF+4 formula and cannot claim to meet/exceed it. AMSoil is great at marketing but poor with truth/facts, IMO.

It's like someone claiming to have a motor oil that's 5w20, 5w30 and 0w40 at the same time. It's a physical impossibility.

Each mfr is going to spec their own fluid and the warranty is based on using the proper fluid. You're more than welcome to use a non-spec fluid, but you're on your own if you end up with problems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I called Tremec Customer Service and they recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for the TR6060 - I asked about the different manufacturers (GM, Dodge and Ford) and why the different fluid recommendations by each for the same tranny; the Tech said "warranty".
Since the Car Manufacturer warranties the tranny, they set the requirement.

Tremec built the tranny and they recommended M1 Syn ATF; I went with it.

I changed my fluid at 6500 miles; so far, I don't notice any difference in shifting

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

I changed my fluid at 6500 miles; so far, I don't notice any difference in shifting
Something folks should note is that the nibble/grind from 1-2 isn't isolated to the Challenger, the Camaro guys are complaining about it just as much if not more. The GT500 folks as well. Some GT500 people seem to have been able to get it resolved by getting a number of parts replaced under warranty while others have been told there's no fix and they have to live with it.

The take-away seems to be that between the different groups of owners just about everything has been tried, including virtually all fluids, and there's no getting around it. So, IMO, if/when there is a failure then I'd want to make sure I'm running the "proper" fluid so that the dealer doesn't have any reason to deny the warranty claim.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Something folks should note is that the nibble/grind from 1-2 isn't isolated to the Challenger, the Camaro guys are complaining about it just as much if not more. The GT500 folks as well. Some GT500 people seem to have been able to get it resolved by getting a number of parts replaced under warranty while others have been told there's no fix and they have to live with it.

The take-away seems to be that between the different groups of owners just about everything has been tried, including virtually all fluids, and there's no getting around it. So, IMO, if/when there is a failure then I'd want to make sure I'm running the "proper" fluid so that the dealer doesn't have any reason to deny the warranty claim.

Yep, like I said "warranty"

My old 2010 Camaro SS TR6060 had the dreaded 2 >3 nibble; Tremec said it was the nature of the beast.
Interestingly, the 2013 ZL1 I traded the SS for does not have the nibble and is smooth as silk, right off the lot.
I can only guess that Tremec improved and upgraded some internals.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I called Tremec Customer Service and they recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for the TR6060 - I asked about the different manufacturers (GM, Dodge and Ford) and why the different fluid recommendations by each for the same tranny; the Tech said "warranty".

Thanks for doing that as we think similar. You went the extra bit and got good info. Well done, sir!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Makes you wonder about those Camaro Tremec 6060's and what fluid spec they use? They surely don't use Chrysler spec ATF+4. I am guessing they are not build different, maybe gear ratios are a bit different if anything. So tranny fluids such as Amsoil's ATF that meets many builder's specs (they even say ATF+4) should be good for it?! As a matter of fact, on the Amsoil website they specifically mention the Chrysler ATF+4 spec and how they exceed/meet it.

Dex 3 in the t56 and I believe dex 6 in the tr6060.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

See this why I started the thread though. Even though tremec builds the transmission and you got a verbal recommendation for Mobil 1 synthetic ATF would dodge honor the warranty since it is not listed on their licensed ATF brands web page?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts