Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have actual experience with a 25% underdrive pulley? Did you see any gains? Any codes or issues? Seems like a reasonable price for 5-10 rwhp.

I'm just looking for any thoughts or suggestions before I head off in the wrong direction.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I really wonder if it's worth it. You're not going to notice anything in normal driving

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Anyone have actual experience with a 25% underdrive pulley? Did you see any gains? Any codes or issues? Seems like a reasonable price for 5-10 rwhp.

I'm just looking for any thoughts or suggestions before I head off in the wrong direction.

Thanks in advance!
Not worth it in my opinion, puts a lot of strain on the accessories. You wont get much out of it. 92 5.0 mustang Yes/Modern Hemi NO

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion, puts a lot of strain on the accessories. You wont get much out of it. 92 5.0 mustang Yes/Modern Hemi NO
How does it strain accessories ? It's sole purpose is to lessen their strain by 25% which theoretically should extend the accessories life span by 25%. Maybe in South where a/c is used more regularly people see some negatives. Mine has been on for 18 months in the Northeast with no probs. Only mod I know of you can actually see work and will probably pay for itself too in fuel savings over the long haul. What you get out of it I'm sure is like all other bolt ons, over stated.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Yep it will strain the condenser of the AC and the power steering when you are sitting at idle or moving slowly (like parking). At cruising it will not affect them much. It also slows down the water pump which Hemi's already run hot. Thats why we put in lower thermostats and change the fan settings

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm glad somone asked the quesstion as I had been wondering the same thing but primarily in regard to older cars. I've been thinking about the March under drive kit for my 72.

Do these kits affect the alternator output by slowing down the revs?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input! Being in Texas the slower AC and water pump may be an issue. Anyone running an underdrive down South with an opinion?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a full set of underdrive pulleys on my 94 318 Dakota once. It did indeed undercharge the battery if you did too much in town driving or stayed in bumper to bumper traffic for very long. It would also run qiute warm, even hot sometimes in those driving conditions. I changed it to just an underdrive crank pulley and the issues were not nearly as significant. But honestly can't remember to what degree the battery would discharge if any. Don't remember any colling issues though. Haven't installed any on my Challenger yet. Thinking about installing an underdrive crank pulley. Waiting to see what other people think or what kind of results they get from installing one. If it is going to have an adverse effect on the battery I think I will pass on this mod. From what I remember about my other experiences, I don't expect there to be any issues with cooling though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts