Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am beginning to give some thought to buying a 2015 Hellcat. I have started my research and was surprised to see that there have been some who have experienced what I would call "premature failure" of the supercharger on the 2015 model. Specifically the bearings failing. How common is this? Is this generally considered a widespread problem? Or, perhaps only a handful of unfortunate owners?

If I do decide to go for the 2015 Hellcat, this will be a substantial investment for me. I simply can not afford to spend that kind of money only to have such a catastrophic failure and related expenses. I'm not expecting "perfection" or not to have any issue whatsoever, but I will not tolerate having such a major failure due to a known problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Chrysler changed bearing suppliers so it was a known issue BUT they still tried to have the owners pay for the repair, how is that for being dirt bags?
They forget we have world wide access to other owners and they got caught and shamed into doing the right thing and fixing them for free.
I don’t know how to advise you on this as there would be a risk.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I believe there was an issue with the Super Charger bearings being noisy.
There may have been a recall.
I have a 2016 Challenger HellCat with just under 12000 miles with no issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If anyone is interested, the BMW dealer of Monrovia, CA has a low mileage manual transmission 15 Hellcat on their used car lot. Go to the dealer's website for details. Asking price is just under $43k with just under 10k miles. Name of the dealer is BMW of Monrovia.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
From what I’ve heard, any bad superchargers were replaced for new by FCA. Check the service history and see if the one you are considering was replaced. I believe the early 2015 models were OK. 2015’s would still fall under the powertrain warranty for a little while more.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Friend with a 2016 Hellcat had his supercharger replaced at 500 miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, I am beginning to give some thought to buying a 2015 Hellcat. I have started my research and was surprised to see that there have been some who have experienced what I would call "premature failure" of the supercharger on the 2015 model. Specifically the bearings failing. How common is this? Is this generally considered a widespread problem? Or, perhaps only a handful of unfortunate owners?

If I do decide to go for the 2015 Hellcat, this will be a substantial investment for me. I simply can not afford to spend that kind of money only to have such a catastrophic failure and related expenses. I'm not expecting "perfection" or not to have any issue whatsoever, but I will not tolerate having such a major failure due to a known problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
I heard it was more common on the 16's for the bearing to fail. Im pretty sure if its under 30k the warranty covers the bearing failure. I havn't seen much issues with them after being replaced either.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses so far...
With regard to simply replacing the bearings in the snout; it seems that many, if not most of the bearing issues are occurring on the rear bearings which require complete disassembly in order to replace. This info coming from another forum with a lengthy thread on the topic.

In defense of Dodge, it doesn't seem there were many actual catastrophic failures, but many replacements due only to noisy bearings. In some cases customers reporting more than one supercharger replacement under warranty!!!! Yikes!

Are there any high mileage (say 60 to 75K miles) Hellcat owners here who can testify as to the long term reliability of the 2015 superchargers?

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,470 Posts
if you are spooked by this, why not look for late 2016 and up used Hellcats? Sounds like your anxiety is such that buying a 2015 will eat you up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fyrdude.... Unfortunately, this issue continued well into the 2016 model year (again going from what is being posted in other forums). I could find no indication whatsoever that Doge came up with a solid fix in 2016 that eliminated this major issue. There are reports that Dodge did attempt some changes to remedy this and assigned different part numbers to indicate that a certain SC had new (improved) bearings. But many owners continued to report these "noisy" and potentially failing bearings.
It doesn't seem as simple as skipping a single model year. I wish it was.

Part of my concern is the fact that I may be trying to play just a little out of my league so to speak. At least as far as $$. I do want a Hellcat but could not afford a catastrophic failure. I am ok with the inital investment and the associated maintenance costs, just so long as I can reasonably expect a reliable performer.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well, no cars are worry free. Those that have exceptional power are costlier to own, run, and fix. Have you considered the other side of the coin? Just think how many cars have had zero issues. People vent on forums frequently, so there will almost always be more negative than positive posts on the average forum. If you really......really want one, don’t deny yourself. If the risk is too great, try not to torture yourself too much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again buddy... I will continue to research and attempt to develop a clearer picture as to how much risk I am actually taking on this.
You a 100% correct in that we tend to hear more about the bad that good, weather its here in this forum or on the nightly news.
I think hearing from long-term Hellcat owners with higher mileage cars will greatly influence my decision!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well, I hope you get one. I’ll bet you won’t be disappointed. In some things, life is too short to deny yourself the pleasure of an extravagance. Good luck in your research and searching for the right car. Please post pics when you get one!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,109 Posts
I mean, you never know...

A Guy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts