Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Pulled my aftermarket stereo system (DSP/AMP + 6 speakers+powered sub) out of my 2015 and planning to drop it into my now 2019
  • My 2015 had a spare tire; 2019 does not
    • Since no spare tire on this 2019, wanted to move my powered sub to the spare tire well to gain back trunk space
  • I have this sub: JL Audio ACP110LG-TW1 MicroSub+™ single 10" powered subwoofer at Crutchfield
  • I test fit this sub in the spare tire well; it actually fits in the space, and the trunk floor can fold down and drop on top of it with no interference (just tested quickly, so not sure how much clearance between the underside of the trunk floor flap and the face of the sub; need to test that next)
Here's the question: anyone already have a good method for securing this sub in that spare tire well?

Priorities:
  1. Must keep sub from physically bouncing around, such as when driving on rough pavement
  2. Must isolate the sub from sliding over sideways and destroying my fuse box/main wiring harness & battery in a rear end collision
I didn't see any super obvious attachment points and don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone already figured out the most functional method for securing a sub in that space...

...The floor is also not FLAT in that space, so it's hard to use any kind of super velcro or mushroom lock fastener material.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
There may not be a good way to secure that box down there in the spare tire well without fabricating some kind of custom brace/mount.

Beyond that though, I think you should reconsider the location you’re planning on mounting it. With it down in that spare tire well and the false floor folded over it, you will struggle to hear its output without folding down one of the rear seat backs, and even then the sub will be firing upward and not toward the cabin or at the rear end (to take advantage of cabin gain) like it should be.

Your best bet for output as heard from the front seats will be having the box mounted directly behind the back seat and either firing forward into the seat or backward toward the tail lights.

If it were me, I’d mount it behind the passenger seat back and face it forward, then I’d leave the rear seat back in front of it folded down to allow direct input into the cabin. The seat back could be folded up when passengers were imminent, so that’s not taking away any passenger capability.

No matter where you mount it, I suggest trying it out in many different locations and orientations to find the best configuration for whatever location. Don’t forget the phase may have to be adjusted to take advantage of the cabin gain the particular orientation affords it.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Is there a nut welded to the floor of the wheel well? Can you remove the speaker, bolt down the box and then put the speaker back in? View attachment 1003235

I built an MDF box and fiberglassed it into place. Then vented the trunk floor. Had to put a bunch of dynamat on the trunk lid It hits pretty hard with the pair of Polk 10 subs

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a nut welded to the floor of the wheel well? Can you remove the speaker, bolt down the box and then put the speaker back in? View attachment 1003235
There’s a mounting plate with some stamped holes, but no weld nut. The plate is also only like 1/8 inch off the surface it’s mounted to. So, no room to get even a finger underneath it. I could sip a strap through it, but that’s it.

Here’s a picture:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There may not be a good way to secure that box down there in the spare tire well without fabricating some kind of custom brace/mount.

Beyond that though, I think you should reconsider the location you’re planning on mounting it. With it down in that spare tire well and the false floor folded over it, you will struggle to hear its output without folding down one of the rear seat backs, and even then the sub will be firing upward and not toward the cabin or at the rear end (to take advantage of cabin gain) like it should be.

Your best bet for output as heard from the front seats will be having the box mounted directly behind the back seat and either firing forward into the seat or backward toward the tail lights.

If it were me, I’d mount it behind the passenger seat back and face it forward, then I’d leave the rear seat back in front of it folded down to allow direct input into the cabin. The seat back could be folded up when passengers were imminent, so that’s not taking away any passenger capability.

No matter where you mount it, I suggest trying it out in many different locations and orientations to find the best configuration for whatever location. Don’t forget the phase may have to be adjusted to take advantage of the cabin gain the particular orientation affords it.
These are all good points. My previous setup in the 2015 was indeed with the sub in the trunk against the backseat and the speaker pointed towards the tail lights.

I was hoping since the stock Harmon kardon setup has the sub in the spare tire well, I could get away with moving mine to that location.

Good advise to test out the location first.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
The HK system was poor at best....I did like the kicker system in my 08 the sub fired into the trunk from the left

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HK system was poor at best....I did like the kicker system in my 08 the sub fired into the trunk from the left
I think i figured out how I'd mount it in the spare tire well. But now you guys have me thinking I should just put it back where it was in my prior install, due to potential sound quality issues. In my prior install, it was located in the trunk, back to back against the 60% side of the back seat, speaker firing toward tail lights.

New question: any known good mounting options or tricks for this location? My prior mount consisted of super Velcro on the bottom of the sub enclosure, and an L-bracket to screw the sub enclosure to the backseat. My issue was that the sub was just wide enough, that the L bracket had to attach to the 40% half of the rear seatback. This meant I couldn't even fold down just the 40% side, without getting a screwgun out. I often had scenarios where just folding down the short side of the back seat was all I needed to do whatever (except the L bracket for the sub had to be unscrewed, which made it suck)

Priorities:
1. Must be removable if I need the full trunk space or full backseat pass through (as it is, the sub has a single quick disconnect for power and remote, so it's really easy to uncouple electrically from the car.)
2. Must attach only to the 60% side of the backseat back (so I can fold down just the 40% side without messing with taking out the sub or undoing fasteners)

I was thinking of just screwing two d rings to the back of the 60% side of backseat and using a cam buckle strap to lash the sub enclosure to the backseat. Like these:
D rings: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/7191k3DFfzL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Strap: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41eRL15RzjL._AC_.jpg

And then to hold the bottom of the sub to the trunk floor - just use super velcro again.

The only thing I have a question on in this method is:
  1. what am i screwing into? Is that backseat plate particleboard or plastic or something? Just want to understand what material it is and how thick, so I can imagine how well it will hold a screw.
  2. Also, how long a screw can you use before you risk the backseat passenger feeling a pointed screw in their back, through the cushion...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts