Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is in a nutshell: my 2016 Scat Pack is a stick & if I'm rolling along in first gear & mash the gas (in Sport mode), it will not light the tires or come even close to smoking them. If I really slam the gas to the floor, it will spin them a little, but I'm thinking with 485 HP, it should absolutely incinerate the rear tires in uncontrolled wheelspin. Are your cars the same in this regard? Or am I not disabling the traction control full by simply pushing the Sport Mode button? I did go to the performance screen that shows the HP readout & everything looks good there when I'm on the gas - it quickly gets a readout of over 430 HP, but I take my foot out of it before it hits peak.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Here it is in a nutshell: my 2016 Scat Pack is a stick & if I'm rolling along in first gear & mash the gas (in Sport mode), it will not light the tires or come even close to smoking them. If I really slam the gas to the floor, it will spin them a little, but I'm thinking with 485 HP, it should absolutely incinerate the rear tires in uncontrolled wheelspin. Are your cars the same in this regard? Or am I not disabling the traction control full by simply pushing the Sport Mode button? I did go to the performance screen that shows the HP readout & everything looks good there when I'm on the gas - it quickly gets a readout of over 430 HP, but I take my foot out of it before it hits peak.
You don't have TC all the way off. Hold down the TC button for about 8 seconds until you hear a chime and "electronic stability control off" appears in your center display.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes it's your traction control. You can do as posted above or try first just hitting the traction control button instead of holding it in for 8 seconds and see how you like that, if you don't do the 8 second hold on the traction control. If i just press the TC button when I'm at a dead stop and punch it the car will lite the tires up no problem at all.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's your traction control. You can do as posted above or try first just hitting the traction control button instead of holding it in for 8 seconds and see how you like that, if you don't do the 8 second hold on the traction control. If i just press the TC button when I'm at a dead stop and punch it the car will lite the tires up no problem at all.
Yours is an auto though. When I just hit the sport mode button, the light comes on the dash indicating traction is off - I'll try holding it until I hear the chime. My 2012 R/T I had to press & hold the button for a few seconds before it would disengage the TC. I'll take it for a short jaunt tonight & try it out - I'll let you know results!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you just put it in sport mode that only takes TC partially off. You can spin the tires a little like that but stability control will catch you. To spin them at will it needs to be full off....or as full off as we can get it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like everyone has you covered on this one! Yeah breaking traction on stock tires in the 6.4L is super easy. Traction control does take over pretty quick tho unless you shut it off. Probably for the best because it's too tempting to light up the tires all the time in these sweet machines!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Even with traction control full on, you should be able to spin them easily. Are you raving the gas while engaging the clutch? You can't just ease it into gear at low RPM and floor it an expect much to happen. The engine needs RPMs. Try flooring it just as you engage the clutch and watch out! I could get rubber in 4th gear (nice long patch actually) pretty easily with traction control full on with my 6 speed Scat Pack.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even with traction control full on, you should be able to spin them easily. Are you raving the gas while engaging the clutch? You can't just ease it into gear at low RPM and floor it an expect much to happen. The engine needs RPMs. Try flooring it just as you engage the clutch and watch out! I could get rubber in 4th gear (nice long patch actually) pretty easily with traction control full on with my 6 speed Scat Pack.
Well, took it for a spin this evening. Held the TC button for about 7-8 seconds, then the chime so I should have been able to melt the tires off the rims. Not much difference than before. I'm wondering if my car is not running right - it just does not feel a whole lot faster than my 2012 5.7L. With 485 HP, the car should almost go out of control from a slow roll. I've driven other cars (old muscle) that were stock that would go absolutely wild from a 20-30 MPH roll. Granted, they did not have today's technology or tires, but 485 HP is 485 HP. As far as your comment about dumping the clutch a little, my contention is that with this much power on-tap, you shouldn't even need to do that. Years ago, I drove a guy's stock 70 Hemicuda with an automatic. Driving along at 30 in drive, I matted it, it downshifted into first & ALMOST went out of control. His same car would do that on the highway from a 60 roll. I also drove a 71 Charger 440-6 back around 1979 that was about the same as the Hemicuda - absolutely would incinerate the rear tires from a 30 roll. I also rode in an old neighbors' 70 BOSS '9 Mustang stick, that could not even hook-up in first gear from a gradual roll, & could barely hook-up all the way through second - he had to baby the gas pedal to get traction. Maybe this is why I like the old muscle so much more than the new stuff.

I'm going to have to drive another Scat Pack or SRT stick to see if they act the same as mine. I have been disappointed with the performance of this car since I drove it home from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I'm gonna make one little observation about your tire burning ideas. If our cars couldn't hook up any better that you're wanting them to do, you'd play hell ever winning a drag race.
I don't have any trouble at all spinning tires with my SP if I really want to do so. But I'm seriously glad that it doesn't break the tires loose all the time, as it seems you'd like it to do.
You're also talking a lot about seventy model cars that had no such thing as traction control technology as we have today.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna make one little observation about your tire burning ideas. If our cars couldn't hook up any better that you're wanting them to do, you'd play hell ever winning a drag race.
I don't have any trouble at all spinning tires with my SP if I really want to do so. But I'm seriously glad that it doesn't break the tires loose all the time, as it seems you'd like it to do.
You're also talking a lot about seventy model cars that had no such thing as traction control technology as we have today.
Quiz kid - you are missing my entire point. Your first point is irrelevant. Your second point is moot, as I'm not infatuated with burning rubber. Your third point I probably know better than you about that factoid. I'm just trying to gauge the performance of my car vs. what other have experienced with theirs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine is an A8, and I have the opposite problem. My previous car was a A5 R/T, and I could roll into the throttle on the street or strip without too much trouble. Rolling into it with the SP just results in spinning. I can't get a good launch to see what it's capable of. I'm staying with the Pirelli Nero Zeros though. Not taking a chance of breaking something with DR's, low as the risk may be.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP. ...are you still running stock tires or did you upgrade?

OE tires. I'm telling you, this car just does not seem a whole lot faster than my 2012 R/T. It should feel night & day difference with that much more power.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Something isnt right, my previous Scat Pack was an M6 and I could light the tires pretty easily at 15mph in Sport Mode. My A8 is even easier. Have you tried to reset the adaptives? I think it is fuse 31 under the hood.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Quiz kid - you are missing my entire point. Your first point is irrelevant. Your second point is moot, as I'm not infatuated with burning rubber. Your third point I probably know better than you about that factoid. I'm just trying to gauge the performance of my car vs. what other have experienced with theirs.
Pardon my ignorance, oh Wise One. I was sorely out of place in offering an opinion and I humbly concede to your superior intellect.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pardon my ignorance, oh Wise One. I was sorely out of place in offering an opinion and I humbly concede to your superior intellect.
Perfect response - I didn't expect you to go away without a reply like that. Adults always have to save face.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My ’16 Scat Shaker is pretty much just like yours,if mine is rolling even with all the nannies full off,it will not just blow the tires off.

Now if I sneek the clutch in a hair to bring the RPM’s up and get after it it will....

Once the RPM’s come up though she pulls hard,I really think the 6 speed cars have butt loads of torque management programmed in and think first gear in the Tremec could be a hair lower,or just a bit more gear out back say in the 4:30 range.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
My Scat Pack M6 with the TC off will break traction in 1st or 2nd gear if you jab the gas pedal a third of the way to the floor. The way you describe yours acting something is not right with the throttle control, traction control or possibly your car some how got an automatic rear end gear set instead of the 3.90 that the manual should have. If the electronics check out I would check the code number on your diff to see what gear ratio you have.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Myself, I hate to use the term "night and day difference", but the performance between my previous '10 A5 5.7 and my present '16 A8 Scat Pack is quite noticeable.

The Scat in 1st or second can easily turn into a "smoke fest" at full throttle. The '10 could only dream of this! LOL

Like others have said, it appears that something is "off" with yours.

Best of luck finding out what the issue is with yours.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have no problem breaking the tires loose (OEM and the Nitto's). Having come from two R/Ts, one auto and the last one 6 speed, the SPS is a beast compared to them especially off the line.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts