Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i asked a tuner via email if i should replace the engine spark plugs with new ones before tuning or should i just leave them the way they are right now and he said "if those are stock plugs it is recommended to get 1 heat range cooler plug and then gap it down to .035"

I actually didn't get that.. can anyone make it more clear to me, please ? what does he mean by that ?
my car is srt8 6.1 supercharged btw.

thanks.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
He means, what ever the heat range is on your stock 6.1 plug, to go one range colder.
And Close the gap to 0.35. Not sure how to make it more clear.

Colder plug, tighter gap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just contacted vortech they said: Thank you for your interest in Vortech. We do not recommend a spark plug change. We have found different plugs to cause misfire concerns. Stock plugs gapped down to .032 seem to work well on most applications.

My tuner is recommending me to replace them and vortech said i shouldnt
im confused .. :no:

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I just contacted vortech they said: Thank you for your interest in Vortech. We do not recommend a spark plug change. We have found different plugs to cause misfire concerns. Stock plugs gapped down to .032 seem to work well on most applications.

My tuner is recommending me to replace them and vortech said i shouldnt
im confused .. :no:
How hot is your climate and how good is your gas. That's what would make up my mind. Your tuner is probably trying to get as much timing as possible and close to 11.X A/Fs (leaner is meaner) without detonation. I would follow his lead if he is a reputable tuner.
You could PM Red Barron, he is running a vortech on a ’11 392.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hot is your climate and how good is your gas. That's what would make up my mind. Your tuner is probably trying to get as much timing as possible and close to 11.X A/Fs (leaner is meaner) without detonation. I would follow his lead if he is a reputable tuner.
You could PM Red Barron, he is running a vortech on a ’11 392.
well, in summer it reaches 51-55 Celsius lol its KUWAIT. now its winter here .. the summer here is long it lasts like for 7-8 months. and the gas is more than good ! I'm using ultra fuel.

·
Vendor
12,209 Posts
would follow your tuner recommendation
luke

ps stay away from bosch plugs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will it cause misfire concerns if i got 1 heat range colder plug ?

Vortech v-3 supercharger

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts

Vortech v-3 supercharger
Souldn't if they are gapped correctly. Too wide of gap and the force induced pressure can blow out the spark.
Pretty standard procedure to run cooler plugs when FI'd. Did the Vortech person know how hot it is where you are?
You could also fog water meth to combat detonation and reduce your incoming air temps.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

Vortech v-3 supercharger
That is what the tuner recommended, right?

The confusion seems to be that you're reading too much into what the tuner said. They didn't say to change the plug type/brand, only to run the factory plugs only a range cooler and run a smaller gap.

That said, if the 6.1 comes from the factory with platinum plugs then I would switch those out for some NGK copper plugs as they'll fire more consistently. The downside is you'll have to replace them more often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts