Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Modding for more power CAN be done on a budget!

Everybody likes power-adding mods - they make the car faster!! But not many folks want to break the bank buying them, ammirite?

So while we're all power-modders to some extent, some of us may be more constrained by our meager budgets that can be devoted to such extravagances. It's certainly not easy to mod a car on the cheap though. You need to be smart, crafty, patient, and persistent for sure. But even then, your affordable power-adding mods may turn out to be only smoke and mirrors.

That's why I always try to utilize good luck as well. I've found you can score some really sweet deals by just being in the right place at the right time. The key is knowing when to put yourself in the right places and what times is best to do so...

Well, fellow LXers, I scored a heck of a deal last night on a MOPAR branded mod. I got both these puppies for $1.50:

MOPAR mods.jpg

Yep, you read that right - One dollar and fifty cents!!!

I still need to do some WOT driving to datalog the new HP/TQ numbers for this mod, but I'm thinking I should see at least 15-20 extra HP at max VE, right? I mean, if those stupid stickers people put all up and down their cars are good for 5 extra HP each, then surely an OEM mod like this is worth 3 to 4 times that amount of extra power, right??

RIGHT?!?!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sorry, but I don't have a loupe powerful enough to read whatever you're yammering about... :elephant:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
False Alarm; N/M; Nothing to See Here

Sorry, but I don't have a loupe powerful enough to read whatever you're yammering about... :elephant:
Well I was going to reply with "I'll let my data showing increased HP/TQ do the talking then", but alas, I cannot provide such data proof to back my claims of HP gains. :mecry:

It seems so clear now, but it never dawned on me that I would never be able to drive the car with the mods installed (and thereby benefit from their added power), and so it doesn't matter how much performance they might increase, it's all gone when the mods are removed to allow for driving. :icon_redface:

HECK, DANGIT, DARNIT, CRAP!!!

I really thought I hit the jackpot with this mod. I mean when's the last time you spent $1.50 on anything and felt an improved acceleration?!? Well, as it turns out, never, because neither will I. :bncry:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, great deal on those though. I have a free Hellcat drinking cup for just spinning a prize wheel :)
They also had a bigger one piece model for $3, which I had thought i might go back and buy as well, but I wanted to see what kind of numbers this set gave me first. I mean, if i coulda got an extra 15 HP from these, the full sized Mopar one should be good for another 30 HP on top of that, right?

Damn, just think, I was THIS close to bolting on an extra 45 HP and spending less than $5 total for the parts...that would have been sweet!!

Oh well, it's still nice to have an interior already at a tolerable temperature when I get into the car after a long at work. Heck, I reckon I've spent a lot more than $1.50 on other mods that didn't deliver near as much ROI, so I aint gonna complain. :pimp:

·
Registered
171 Posts
maybe it'll help with aerodynamics if you put it in the BACK window while yer driving. Maybe the gains you've lost by removing them from the front, will be regained with aerodynamicicity...

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe it'll help with aerodynamics if you put it in the BACK window while yer driving. Maybe the gains you've lost by removing them from the front, will be regained with aerodynamicicity...

Holy crap, i think you're on to something there!!

Not sure how i missed that...i've always known modding isnt only about the part you bolt on, but also HOW you bolt it on that unleashes all its extra power.

And that couldn't be more applicable to a situation than it is to this one!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Nuke
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing