Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

This is actually my first post, so trying to make it a good one (albeit on a topic that's beat to death), I have looked back through the last few pages and cant find a thread that answers my questions completely and so I figured I would start yet another thread in relation to Eibach Pro kit.

So here we go:

Information about Caroline: 2012 Challenger SXT SS-T also known as Ms. Caroline

1. Can I get away with just the purchase of the springs? I see people talking about adjustable control arms and I cant seem to find anything that states you have to have these, but I cant find anything that says you don't need them either.

2. Is it confirmed that only the RT 6 spd cars have the self leveling rear? My car has all the track pack stuff, sport mode etc, but is there a 100% fool proof method of determining if my struts are the ones? I don't mind crawling under the car to look before its lowered obviously, I just don't want any suprises

3. I have a few years of auto experience, I have rebuilt 8 Mopar A bodies including taking a /6 Dart with a 7 1/4" rear with 9" drums and turning it into a screaming nasty 360 rollercam engine 11.2 sec. track car so I am familiar with a wrench, my concern is if I will need any special tools other than spring compressors. I have seen the video of the spring install on youtube on the 2009 challenger but does that carry over well to the SXT models from the SE models?

Basically I want to pull the car in the garage and do this install over a weekend but I want to make sure I don't miss anything, don't want to have to order some obscure part that I didn't know of and have to use a different vehicle for however long it takes to get here, plus the longer the car is apart the more likely something is forgotten or lost.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Edit: This is the kit I am looking at: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-2895-140/overview/year/2012/make/dodge/model/challenger

~Cody

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the Bilstein B12 kit on my R/T which comes with the Eibach Pro-kit. I'll try to help answer what I can.
Some things may be different for a V6.

1. I did not install any camber kit front or rear. My car is slightly out of spec for camber. I'm not to worried about it. But I'm keeping an eye on my tire wear.
Every car is different. Some people can get into spec with the Pro kit. Many could not. So you might need them.

2. I don't know the answer to this. I replaced my shocks just in case, but I have a 6 speed R/T

3. I did my install with the help of a friend in about 3 hours. It was painfully easy. I've lowered other cars in the past and the Challenger was by far the easiest. There are how to video's all over youtube. They are very helpful. The info should be the same for the V6
You will need a couple things.
18mm and 21mm deep sockets. I didn't have these and had to run out and get them.
You'll need a pitman arm puller to separate the ball joint.
I used this TEKTON 5747 Pitman Arm Puller - Amazon.com
You don't want to use a fork, you can rip the boot.
A strap wrench is useful when you try to loosen the upper strut bolt. The strut shaft likes to turn. Use the strap wrench to keep the shaft from spinning.
A spring compressor and an impact. You can do it by hand, but man you'll wreck your arms turning that wrench. I used an electric Impact from sears. I had those springs swapped in minutes.
If you have access to an impact, air or electric, use it! I can't stress this enough. It saves so much time.

You'll also want the impact on the rear. The lower control arm bolts thread all the way through the bushing. You'll be there all day turning that bolt without an impact.
Raising the rear control arm after you replace the spring can be a bit tricky. The damn thing wants to twist when you raise it up. Having the jack in the right spot is key. This is also where a second set of hands and eyes comes in handy

Thats really all you'll need aside from basic hand tools.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James, sounds like it isn't going to be too much of a hassle, it sounds like in most cases the adjustable camber arms aren't a must have as even if the camber is out of spec its not by much? I don't want the dropped Honda look lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks James, sounds like it isn't going to be too much of a hassle, it sounds like in most cases the adjustable camber arms aren't a must have as even if the camber is out of spec its not by much? I don't want the dropped Honda look lol
With the right tools, its not hard at all. The how to vids I watched made it sound really difficult, but when I got in there, it was a piece of cake.

I only have about 5,000 miles on my car since I lowered it so I can't say how the camber is affecting my tires. I've noticed no wear so far, but maybe my tires will wear out faster over time than with the camber arms. I'll just have to see.
Like I said, its only slightly out of spec, so you can't tell by looking at it. Nothing like those Hondas you're seeing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts