Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at an RT online but the only thing it's missing that I'd like is leather seats. I just learned about these Katzkin dealer installed options and had a few questions about them.

1) They are basically elborate seat covers that go over the cloth seats but give the appearence of factory installed leather right?
2) A base kit includes both front bucket seats, rear seat, and door panel inserts right?
3) Can they be installed on a leased car? Before or After? So negotiated into the lease before or added after the fact as I'm looking to lease.
4) Can you negotiate the cost/install-labor of them with the dealer? Can options be negotiated as well? Nothing fancy, wouldn't mind like match stitching maybe piping to exterior color.
5) What kind of prices have people been paying for them as well as labor?
6) Anyone have pics of them on 2015 or newer RT?
7) Would love opinions/impressions from anyone who has them or experienced them in person

I think those are about all of my questions, thanks!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Currently looking at an RT online but the only thing it's missing that I'd like is leather seats. I just learned about these Katzkin dealer installed options and had a few questions about them.

1) They are basically elborate seat covers that go over the cloth seats but give the appearence of factory installed leather right?
2) A base kit includes both front bucket seats, rear seat, and door panel inserts right?
3) Can they be installed on a leased car? Before or After? So negotiated into the lease before or added after the fact as I'm looking to lease.
4) Can you negotiate the cost/install-labor of them with the dealer? Can options be negotiated as well? Nothing fancy, wouldn't mind like match stitching maybe piping to exterior color.
7) Would love opinions/impressions from anyone who has them or experienced them in person

Fairly sure they remove the cloth cover.

I would try to get two quotes from two different dealers for the katzkin and see if you get different costs. Don't mention you don't have the car yet, just tell them what car it is and if they can email it to you.

I'd ask your dealer if you can do anything like that, most leases only let you tint the windows, but since it's a sponsored product/service they might allow it.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
the covers (cloth) are removed and the Katzkin are installed over the frames / foam base. They'll fit like OEM seat coverings - tailored, fitted coverings.

So they're not like slipcovers for those cheap aftermarket auto parts store covers that people cover up ratty worn out seats with.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts

1) As Hal said, they remove the cloth covers and replace them with the Katzkins. They are specifically designed for your model seat.

2) From the Dealer, I believe yes; they should also include the headrests. In my (sponsored) package from Katzkin, they also included the center console box cover as well. Please NOTE that on 2015+, the licensed Katzkin installers strongly dissuade you from doing a true door panel change; that requires them to take the door panels apart and they are loathe to do that because of the difficulty in getting them re-assembled tightly with no rattles or squeaks.

3) Yes, I imagine you could negotiate them into your lease. As long as the leather kit you select is one the Dealer believes will not hurt re-sale.

4) Everything is negotiable, but see #3 above. If you pick some garish color, you may end up paying more since the Dealer might figure they have to put the cloth covers back on.

5) I paid (well, my wife paid since she didn't want me cursing and in a foul mood trying to do it myself) $500 to have mine installed. I received a really large discount on the purchase price as part of a sponsorship agreement with Katzkin

6) See below. I selected the Barracuda style in Tuscan "Ink" black. NOTE: You can only get embroidery through a Dealer now; Mopar pulled its logo license agreement with vendors like Katzkin and others.

7) I absolutely love mine. Creamy smooth leather yet durable. Excellent quality. It definitely adds to the car interior's appearance.

Front Seats (Note: Katzkin did the seatback embroidery but I had my headrests embroidered on my own)

Back seats and fold-down arm rest/cupholder:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the covers (cloth) are removed and the Katzkin are installed over the frames / foam base. They'll fit like OEM seat coverings - tailored, fitted coverings.

So they're not like slipcovers for those cheap aftermarket auto parts store covers that people cover up ratty worn out seats with.
Ah, do they give you the cloth ones back or do they keep them?

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
Ah, do they give you the cloth ones back or do they keep them?
You can ask for them back - a proper installer would remove the covers w/o cutting or damaging them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please NOTE that on 2015+, the licensed Katzkin installers strongly dissuade you from doing a true door panel change; that requires them to take the door panels apart and they are loathe to do that because of the difficulty in getting them re-assembled tightly with no rattles or squeaks.

3) Yes, I imagine you could negotiate them into your lease. As long as the leather kit you select is one the Dealer believes will not hurt re-sale.
Hmmm, interesting. So I'm guessing a Dealer could F that up and there's a rattle and then they won't want to fix it? The base RT panels are cloth though right?

Yeah I wasn't thinking anything fancy, just black leather MAYBE blue stitching or piping if they threw it in for free or something.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
FYI - the stitching on R/T Plus OEM leather would be a white stitch color (and console as well).

IIRC the stitching color on houndstooth cloth is tungsten (gray) stitching

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 15 RT.Bought my Katzkin off of eBay.Black with light gray stitching.I think I paid $550.Then I think I paid $300-350 for install.They remove the old clothe ones (I didn't ask for them back) I also had them put the side panels on.Came out great.Highly recommend them.Best interior mod you can do.Better and cheaper than factory leather IMO...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Okay!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts