Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower my SRT 392 around 1 to 2 inches. I'm debating between picking up a good used set of Mopar Performance lowering springs, or going for the KW coilover kit that lets me retain the stock adjustable shocks.

I don't really track my car, it's just a daily driver, but I do like the ride height adjustability the coilovers would offer since I do intend on doing LT headers eventually, and maybe even the Hellion exhaust-mounted turbo setup. Not sure how much the Mopar springs lower the car but I'm concerned that my mods wouldn't have enough ground clearance. Is that going to be a problem if I go the cheaper route?

Also, is lowering the car by an inch or two going to create any issues with clearing 305 rear tires and 10.5 to 11 inch rims? Will it cause any camber issues or other problems in other parts of the suspension over time?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The KW's are not coilovers, just an adjustable spring kit. Lowered my SRT a fuzz over an inch and works just right for me.

I have Kooks headers and had the shop weld small skid plates on the bottom to help keep the flanges from catching anything just in case.

The camber was off a little but the shop said shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been running on these for over 25K miles now with no obvious tire wear issues. I’ve recently gone to 305’s in back so will have to keep a closer eye on wear now. Maybe will need a bushing kit this summer :)

IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1815 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The KW's are not coilovers, just an adjustable spring kit. Lowered my SRT a fuzz over an inch and works just right for me.

I have Kooks headers and had the shop weld small skid plates on the bottom to help keep the flanges from catching anything just in case.

The camber was off a little but the shop said shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been running on these for over 25K miles now with no obvious tire wear issues. I’ve recently gone to 305’s in back so will have to keep a closer eye on wear now. Maybe will need a bushing kit this summer :)

View attachment 989997 View attachment 989998
Nice! That's about the ride height I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What would I have to do to prevent that camber issue?
There are supposed to be bushing kits out there that will allow for some adjustability. Don’t know a lot about them but have heard they are the easy fix. Prob. be looking into them myself soon :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are supposed to be bushing kits out there that will allow for some adjustability. Don’t know a lot about them but have heard they are the easy fix. Prob. be looking into them myself soon :)
Hm, let me know what you find please! I also heard that adjustable control arms and end links helped.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,570 Posts
I want to lower my SRT 392 around 1 to 2 inches. I'm debating between picking up a good used set of Mopar Performance lowering springs, or going for the KW coilover kit that lets me retain the stock adjustable shocks.

If you’re talking about Stage 1 lowering springs from Mopar, I don’t think those will lower yours much from where it is now. Your stock springs are already about an inch lower than normal, so the Stage 1s may only lower it an additional 0.50” or so. Best to verify their application on the SRTs before purchase I’m thinking.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you’re talking about Stage 1 lowering springs from Mopar, I don’t think those will lower yours much from where it is now. Your stock springs are already about an inch lower than normal, so the Stage 1s may only lower it an additional 0.50” or so. Best to verify their application on the SRTs before purchase I’m thinking.

Good call! Didn't think about that

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hm, let me know what you find please! I also heard that adjustable control arms and end links helped.
If staying with stock wheels and tires, you should be fine. I went with 285’s all around and still didn’t see any adverse wear.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts