Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello everyone. Im new to the site but have been lurking here since about june when I came across it. This site is amazing and Ive found sooooo much info here. Thanks to all of you.

I have a few questions that Im sure some of you can answer.

I'd like to order a challenger but had a few questions with the process since Ive never ordered a car before.

Im assuming (please correct me if wrong) I just go to any dodge dealer and tell a salesman Id like to order a challenger because they dont have the exact car I want. I then sit down with the salesmen and provide him/her with the options I want. I then give them the $500 depost (which Im assuming is nonrefundable) and then dodge builds it and months and months later I get it.

I guess my BIG question is how do you determine the price? Is it negotiated at this point in the process or when the car arrives? I know how much the car will be with my options based on the MSRP but I have no intentions of paying MSRP. Im sure you get a better deal by buying something on the lot but are you able to get any kind of a deal when ordering? Is it even possible to get close to invoice when ordering?

One other question I have. I want the black rims that come one the Blacktop package but I also want a white car. Does anybody have an idea on how to go about this since the blacktop pkg cant be done in white? If I bought one from the lot I would make the dealer swap them out to close the deal but if I order it, is it possible to pull this off without paying the $1200 for the chrome clad, then the dealer nailing me for another 12 or 1300 for the painted ones? Seems like a waste to order the chrome clad in the first place but I also want the STP package and the 3.91 (M6) which I think requires the 20in rims. Thanks in advance and appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
You are doing the right things...

Find dealer cost at edmunds.com and start 1000.00 lower.

The dealer will probably not swap wheels. Better off ordering the cheapest wheels with the car, then searching the net (ebay, craigslist or here) for the wheels you want.

Welcome to the club....the wait sucks.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
When I ordered my Challenger a few months ago we negotiated the price right then, less any available rebates at the time of delivery. My negotiated price was $300 below invoice. They did not require a deposit which surprised me as I was ready to put one down. The car took 8 weeks from order to delivery.

The wheel issue will be a tricky one. I'm not sure how you will resolve that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWSOME info thanks. Didn't know I would be able to work a deal like that ordering. Perfect, but now I just saw the shaker tread and that threw a wrench in my initial plan.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One other question I have. I want the black rims that come one the Blacktop package but I also want a white car. Does anybody have an idea on how to go about this since the blacktop pkg cant be done in white? If I bought one from the lot I would make the dealer swap them out to close the deal but if I order it, is it possible to pull this off without paying the $1200 for the chrome clad, then the dealer nailing me for another 12 or 1300 for the painted ones? Seems like a waste to order the chrome clad in the first place but I also want the STP package and the 3.91 (M6) which I think requires the 20in rims. Thanks in advance and appreciate any help.
You might want to check with the dealer if you can order white and add the blacktop package with the stripe delete. I was told by a local dealer if I went stripe delete I could get a header orange blacktop so I'd think the same would apply to other colors as well.

Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I may have been lucky, I searched online for my Challenger and found the color and with all the options I wanted. But had to drive 45 miles to get it. The price was good for me, anyway there was no negotiations with them. And I did not have to wait.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
at least with the "Shaker" package you can get Bright White and aluminum 20" wheels you
can have powdercoated how ever you wish. can't really see the wheels in the pic but they
are described just as the R/T Classic base wheels... which look good, but the "Scat Pack" wheels
look like my "Classic II" wheels except with a dark coating, those would look great on a white car.

when I talked to a couple of dealers originally about ordering a car most wouldn't talk about prices
but one did print out the order and it had several price levels all on the sheet. MSRP, INVOICE, FRIENDS
& FAMILY, and something else I don't remember so you could see when you get a price quoted where
you are, sort of. I ended up going with a dealer 1200 miles away because he didn't play games and delivered
the car to my doorstep on a covered trailer 9 weeks after I ordered it. he also kept me informed all the way of what was happening and when the optional/base wheel choices changed he got with me and we got the order changed
at the last minute and I got what I wanted. as long as he's in business I'll never order from anyone else.

I'm sort of glad I got mine back in May, with all the new choices (Scat Pack, Shaker) I'd have a difficult time choosing
which options I wanted.

have fun,

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to check with the dealer if you can order white and add the blacktop package with the stripe delete. I was told by a local dealer if I went stripe delete I could get a header orange blacktop so I'd think the same would apply to other colors as well.

Thanks
Jay

Really? Thats exactly what Im trying to do. I had planned on the stripe delete but I wanted the black rims, black grille surround and Black fuel door. Basically the blacktop in white with a stripe delete. Initially I was gonna go granite crystal with the stripe delete but for some reason when I see the white ones on the lot they really stand out to me. Ill have to ask the dealer about this. Thanks jay. also to the poster above me. Yeah y, i really dig your car. thats what Im looking for.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Really? Thats exactly what Im trying to do. I had planned on the stripe delete but I wanted the black rims, black grille surround and Black fuel door. Basically the blacktop in white with a stripe delete. Initially I was gonna go granite crystal with the stripe delete but for some reason when I see the white ones on the lot they really stand out to me. Ill have to ask the dealer about this. Thanks jay. also to the poster above me. Yeah y, i really dig your car. thats what Im looking for.
When I ordered mine, we negotiated the price up front. I don't think I got a terrible price. But I wish I had negotiated the installation of splash guards and the car cover as part of the deal. It's amazing how quickly the fenders got dinged up with gravel. And it wasn't like I was smoking the tires. I babied the car for a while, and still mostly do.

And then I wanted the car cover for the winter when there's snow on the ground and I'm driving the Honda Civic most of the time. I think you might be able to get one of those "perks" thrown in if you are so inclined.

Good luck and we look forward to pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts