Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m browsing a 21.
Is there enough flat surface on the front bumper for a vinyl replica license plate like the one pictured?
Car I’m looking at has 309 gear. How is that for general touring use?
Thank you.
Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
3.09 gear is a bit lower gear than the 3.90 gear my 2020 Challenger SP came with. For touring generally a lower gear is "better" in that the engine turns fewer RPMs at any speed. 'course, there is a limit. One doesn't want to have to down shift all the time because the gearing is too low.

The flip side is what to be avoided is too high a gear, like (one vehicle I owned had) 4.56. This was in a 3/4 ton pickup truck. While the thing could haul heavy loads with ease -- once carried a Bridgeport vertically milling machine (>2000 lbs) in it for a friend for over 60 miles -- cruising speed was around 55mph.

If touring use is in the future during the test ride/drive arrange to have the car on the freeway for a few miles at a constant legal speed. Slow to 10mph under the limit then without downshifting accelerate the car like you would during a passing operation. Ideally the car should slow to 10mph under -- without the need to downshift to avoid lugging the engine -- and then confirm the car can accelerate at an acceptable rate -- without the need to downshift -- back up to speed.

Or you can just buy the car on faith. Given the power/torque my 2020 SP has even if the 3.90 was replaced with a 3.09 I believe the car would be really unaffected when touring.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, good info. May buy the car sight unseen as it is new but understand the advantage of an easy roll-on without dropping a gear.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
Every Scat Pack (Charger and Challenger) automatic gets a 3.09.

Every Scat Pack Challenger 6-speed manual gets a 3.90.

The top gear ratio for the A8 is .67 so your overall ratio is 2.07.

The top gear ratio for the M6 is .50 so your overall ratio is 1.95.

This will result in an rpm difference at 70 mph of about 100 rpm with the A8 turning slightly more revs than the M6.

So barely enough to even notice and the 3.09 seems to the perfect overall gear for the A8.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
Every Scat Pack (Charger and Challenger) automatic gets a 3.09.

Every Scat Pack Challenger 6-speed manual gets a 3.90.

The top gear ratio for the A8 is .67 so your overall ratio is 2.07.

The top gear ratio for the M6 is .50 so your overall ratio is 1.95.

This will result in an rpm difference at 70 mph of about 100 rpm with the A8 turning slightly more revs than the M6.

So barely enough to even notice and the 3.09 seems to the perfect overall gear for the A8.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Exactly, PLUS the A8 has a much lower first gear, even with the 3.09. The manuals with 3.9 have close to a 12:1 first gear, but the autos with the 3.09 have close to a 15:1.

Reactions: Hellraisin

·
Banned
2021 Scat Pack
206 Posts
3.09 gear is a bit lower gear than the 3.90 gear my 2020 Challenger SP came with. For touring generally a lower gear is "better" in that the engine turns fewer RPMs at any speed. 'course, there is a limit. One doesn't want to have to down shift all the time because the gearing is too low.

The flip side is what to be avoided is too high a gear, like (one vehicle I owned had) 4.56. This was in a 3/4 ton pickup truck. While the thing could haul heavy loads with ease -- once carried a Bridgeport vertically milling machine (>2000 lbs) in it for a friend for over 60 miles -- cruising speed was around 55mph.

If touring use is in the future during the test ride/drive arrange to have the car on the freeway for a few miles at a constant legal speed. Slow to 10mph under the limit then without downshifting accelerate the car like you would during a passing operation. Ideally the car should slow to 10mph under -- without the need to downshift to avoid lugging the engine -- and then confirm the car can accelerate at an acceptable rate -- without the need to downshift -- back up to speed.

Or you can just buy the car on faith. Given the power/torque my 2020 SP has even if the 3.90 was replaced with a 3.09 I believe the car would be really unaffected when touring.
3.09 = HIGHER
3.90 = LOWER

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
296 Posts
3.09 = HIGHER
3.90 = LOWER
Sorry, 3.90 is a higher gear ratio than 3.09. I think you're confused that a 3.90 will have a 'lower' top end speed than a 3.09.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds like you're looking new.
Get them to GIVE YOU a FCA mount and install it yourself.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,336 Posts
My bracket mount on the bottom and plate comes off easy

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sorry, 3.90 is a higher gear ratio than 3.09. I think you're confused that a 3.90 will have a 'lower' top end speed than a 3.09.
" Tall (high) gears have LOWER numerical numbers such as 2.79, 2.90, 3.00, 3.25. Short (low) gears have HIGHER numerical numbers, such as 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.36, etc."

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,336 Posts
Lower the number, more top end.

Higher for the INSANE hole shot with less top overall speed

Foxes sucked with that 2.73 gear !!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
+ 1 on the sto-n- show,removes easy for car shows ,and the wash and wax, might also mention it mounts in the middle of the car if you don't have the anti collision eyeball.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,336 Posts
I have the eye and love it NOT in the center !!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
" Tall (high) gears have LOWER numerical numbers such as 2.79, 2.90, 3.00, 3.25. Short (low) gears have HIGHER numerical numbers, such as 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.36, etc."
Exactly what I meant, the higher the ratio the lower the top end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts