Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

So I've been browsing around on this thread and reading a lot of mixed stuff regarding the HK system. Originally it was super crappy and then there seemed to be an update that a lot of folks seemed happy with (and some still not terribly happy with).

I admittedly ordered my 2014 R/T Classic before doing my proper research on my sound system (rookie mistake, I know). I was wondering if anyone's got any input on the HK system in 2014 models? Does it sound good straight from the dealership? Does it need the update I'm reading about? Does it sound awful through-and-through?

A few quick notes: I'm mainly an AM/FM radio listener, and tend to prefer CDs otherwise, with a USB connected iPhone for Spotify streaming, or iTunes files that are AAC encoded.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've found that with mine if I play music off my old iphone 3gs connected to the usb port the music is very muted and doesn't sound too great at all. I've had the best sound out of it putting music on the hard drive from a flash drive, and the best results have been aac encoded (m4a) from itunes at 320 kbps . I have tried mp3 format on the hard drive and the sound quality isn't great. cd's are also fine. hope this helps

·
Registered
695 Posts
I also ordered my 2014 with HK system before doing research, and was very sceptical about it. When my car arrived, there was another one with sound 2 option. I listened to both. The HK was a better sound. Cd's sound absolutely awesome...a 9 on a scale of 10. Sirius radio sounds ok....you have to turn volume up quite a bit to get a good sound..usually up around 20-22. I will soon be loading music to the hard drive...im guessing via iPhone...hope that sounds as good as the cd's. In summary...the system sounds good, cds great...id give it 7 on a scale of 10.....is it worth the $2000 price tag ($1200 Moore than sound 2)....no. Now I'm no music/sound system guru...but I listen to Sirius and cds non-stop while driving...hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife's 2014 with Sound Group II sounds much better at lower volumes than the HK system in my Shaker. On mine it just doesn't sound like the door and dash speakers are doing anything - big bass from the back but little else until you get up around 24. Hers will damn near run you out of the car at 16!

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've found that with mine if I play music off my old iphone 3gs connected to the usb port the music is very muted and doesn't sound too great at all. I've had the best sound out of it putting music on the hard drive from a flash drive, and the best results have been aac encoded (m4a) from itunes at 320 kbps . I have tried mp3 format on the hard drive and the sound quality isn't great. cd's are also fine. hope this helps
You can't blame the HK system for sound quality from mp3 files. They are compressed. You are correct that acc and 320 kbps give the best results. The system is only as good as the input material you use. My only ***** is there should have been a separate Subwoofer level adjustment in the EQ. It only gives you Bass, Mid and Treble. Lowering the Bass level has no effect on the Sub.

As far as Sirius it depends on the stations you listen to. Unfortunately for me the one's I like are compressed and really sound crappy. I did not renew for that reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HK and MP3's

I know I posted this in another thread but for MP3's there's an easy and (depending on your cash flow) cheap fix. Subscribe to iTunes iMatch for one year. It's $25.00 a year and you do this:

Match all your compressed MP3's in iMatch from some removable media if possible.
Once they are matched, remove your old MP3's for safe keeping and remove all the local files from iTunes.
Download the ones from iMatch back to your PC by clicking the little cloud icon.

(optional) Create a playlist, copy all the MP3's to the playlist and burn them to a DVD
(optional) Take burned DVD to your car and upload this to the hard drive in your car - be prepared to wait :)

What this does is convert your compressed DVD's no matter what compression to 256kbps. The normal compression is USUALLY 128kbps if you rip it yourself and have changed the encoder to MP3 and the "quality" to Good Quality. For reference the Higher Quality is 196kbps. The lower the kbps the more compression you get (smaller file) but as a result the sound quality suffers.

and of course in the HK system you can really hear this.

I did this with a bunch of my MP3's and it worked out really good, I wouldn't call it a fix per se though, more of a work around :(

Also, if you feel the need to go deaf you can also adjust the audio output as well before you burn them to a CD so your system will be louder, I haven't messed with this yet though - the basssssss in my car is plenty loud for me, if my pant legs move and I cant see out the mirrors, i'm good!

EDIT: I agree with the comment about the EQ for the sub comment above, my complaint as well....

Karl

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I can't speak for the 2014's, but the [mandatory SRT] HK system in my 2012 Yellow Jacket "stinks to high heaven." I love the car, but frankly, the HK is most overprice piece of $hit, I've ever had the displeasure of owning :badrazz: .

By the way, I had the dealer perform the upgrade mentioned in the amplifier TSB - no help - the tech might as well have increased the air pressure in my tires for the good it did !!

NOTE: The Sound system II I had in my former R/T was a pure delight - go figure ??????????

Regards,

Gary aka 'beamg5"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't speak for the 2014's, but the [mandatory SRT] HK system in my 2012 Yellow Jacket "stinks to high heaven." I love the car, but frankly, the HK is most overprice piece of $hit, I've ever had the displeasure of owning :badrazz: .

By the way, I had the dealer perform the upgrade mentioned in the amplifier TSB - no help - the tech might as well have increased the air pressure in my tires for the good it did !!

NOTE: The Sound system II I had in my former R/T was a pure delight - go figure ??????????

Regards,

Gary aka 'beamg5"
Gary,

Mine sounded horrible right from the factory and even after the update. Also when I listened to high volumes the sound would shut off. The dealer replaced the amp and now the sound is amazing! Now I frequently feel it was worth the $2k. I think there are many defective amps out there. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts