Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the R/T has 4300 miles, time for 2nd oil change. Got 2 nice 5Q big mouth jugs from Store and a Puralator One filter. Drain, tighten, start filling the oil with a big mouth jug and a fast flow stepped tube funnel, near the end of the fill I here this bubbling sound, think, that's weird,, finish up. Check under the car and see about a 8" puddle of fresh oil. :2232censored: that I don't like. Turns out, if you fast fill the 5.7 too fast, the oil will back up and flow through the PCV intake hose below the oil fill port, down onto the top of the air filter, then dribble down and out. I was filling it pretty fast, with 2 'big mouth' pieces in the loop, but just be aware that this can happen, and take a bit of time when refilling the oil. Not going to sweat the bit of oil on my filter- about 2", think that will be ok.

Other than that, I put in exactly 7 Quarts, and it shows just at the add hole on the dip stick. Changed the oil in the truck too and filters- yes, exactly 5 Quarts, and it shows 1/2 quart high. My thoughts are these dip sticks are not accurate enough. From now on, I'll probably be going be the manual and will read the dip stick after a change, because 7 quarts is 7 Quarts (loss was not significant- same level as last time too), and that is the engineering fill.
Happy Holidays!

Reactions: snowcat256

·
Registered
540 Posts
Did you prime the oil filter?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
290 Posts
4300 miles and it's already your second oil change? What was wrong with the oil already in it?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4300 miles and it's already your second oil change? What was wrong with the oil already in it?
First at 1000, second 2500 later, or this case, 3200 later, and she should be good for life. Oil is the life blood of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Oil on the Floor

Same thing happen to me. I couldn't figure out where in the heck this oil was coming from. Followed drips all the way back into my Cold Air Intake Tube...Well I'll be !!!

Next time "Slow Pour" Mobil 1 :guiness:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts