Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just a quick question I have about the Challenger underbody. I bought a used 2017 about six months ago, it is winter here obviously in New Hampshire, And I am worried about Rust From salt and other winter conditions killing the underside of my car. I do not know if it ever has been protected before by a underside coating underneath. When I bought the car it was like brand new underneath no rust at all I’m kicking myself now because I did not spray coat underneath of the car before the weather hit. I also hear that Dodge Challenger is known to rust out quicker, Then other makes and models. I guess my question is would it be too late now to undercoat?
Also if anyone knows about this rust issue with these challengers if it is true or myth.?
Any suggestions help.
Thanks In advance

perseverance

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,423 Posts
A rather well known issue is rust in the lower rear quarters.
There is foam in between body panels that is used for sound deadening, which seems to retain/absorb water.
Some cars are worse than others for some odd reason, there is at least 1 current thread on thsi very thing, where op has now had to replace rear quarter sections 4 times, due to rust.
You will also in short order, if not already, see rust on certain fasteners & components on the suspension & brakes, like control arms, brake high hats and other areas that are simply not painted when the car is assembled. All 3 of my challengers have encountered some form of this. I reside in WA state, where rain is a common occurance, but my driving in it (in my challengers) is not and none of mine have ever even once been out in the snow or stored outside.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
I am in New York and I never undercoated any of my vehicles. I am also on my 3rd challenger and no issues with rust of any kind. So just enjoy your car and don't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If you’re on your third Challenger.....what is the average time you keep your car?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Former NYer here. I've seen new car frames rust out completely in 2-3 years, then I've seen cars last for decades with very little rust. It's all about how you take care of it. My dad's truck was a 92 Chevy 2500 Scottsdale. He would spray down the underside of his truck weekly, in the winter months. It lasted 20+ years, until he was not able to drive any more.

Reactions: TXRT

·
Registered
702 Posts
you can clean it and coat it later, with undercoat or some people use oil. if the car is stored outside, never driven in snow, it can still rust because of the foam in the rockers and the quarter panels.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Of all places to be from, this company is from New Hampshire too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you live in the rust belt, the factory coating will not protect you from rust. Especially with the foam in the rockers and lower rear quarter panels

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wait until spring. Get it cleaned and let it dry. Then undercoat.
I was a little surprised at the open edgs of seams, flat traps for crap and lack of protection from impact (stones, grit, etc) under mine - undercoated with 3M underbody coatings where I could, and underbody wax where I could only get a spray lance in. Cavity wax inside all box sections around the body. The nicely damp UK climate means rust soon gets a hold if you don't stop it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts