Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker 6 spd manual 18 spkrs Harmon Kardon
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this new 2019 S/P Shaker 6 SM on February 18th. So for about 5 months now, 8500 miles, I have been listening to my Spotify through the convenience of Bluetooth. There was never any reason to plug the phone in to charge it.

I finished mounting my radar detector today and syncing it the additional fail proof software on my phone and also Waze as a third entity on the Android Auto screen.

I decided to plug it in for a change and BIG SURPRISE! I always thought the 18 speakers HK sounded fantastic but NOW? It is unbelievable. I cannot even describe it.

Well, feeling a bit ignorant here that it took me 5 months for this step but I guess... it is never too late!

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
205 Posts
Bluetooth is absolute crap. Too many codecs and they never line up correctly to prevent additional compression. If you have an ear for audio, never use it for music.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bluetooth is absolute crap. Too many codecs and they never line up correctly to prevent additional compression. If you have an ear for audio, never use it for music.
You see, I didn't know that!!! First time today and I have had the car for 5 months. I was so shocked by the sound [Classic Piano] that I pulled over!

I do Bluetooth at Home with Audio Engineering speakers which are suppose to be really good. They sound good but maybe can be better!

Thank You. I appreciate...

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you're using a lossless bitrate over Qualcomm's aptX-HD or Sony's LDAC it can be as good at a cable. But not too many devices use those codecs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're using a lossless bitrate over Qualcomm's aptX-HD or Sony's LDAC it can be as good at a cable. But not too many devices use those codecs.
Oh! I am not well versed at all in this. This would be interesting to ask Audio Engineering and see what they say and also let you know. As a Chef all my Life I have been limited to food knowledge!!!

Thanks. I am going to!

Edit: It is Audioengine

Audioengine

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I will let you know what their reply will be. In the meantime I copied/paste this

Audioengine wireless speakers are special. Their traditional analog amplifiers sound incredible compared to lower-cost digital amps found in other mass-produced brands.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, just the act of plugging it into an aux cable improves the sound drastically?
Drastically is the correct word! Give it a try. The 18 speakers came to Life and I was finally in the middle of it as with just Bluetooth I was never able to get much sound from the rear except what I cal the "Boom Boom" speakers in the trunk! I can't believe it has taken me 5 months to discover this! Let me know how it goes... if you can. Your car in the driveway?... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Spartan040

·
Registered
205 Posts
Obviously the sound through your Aux port is analog and will be dependent on the clarity of your source. Most smartphones these days are pretty excellent little preamps. Just don't use a 128k mp3 file like you were born in GenZ. At the very very least make sure your Spotify streams and downloads are set to "High Quality" (320k).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviously the sound through your Aux port is analog and will be dependent on the clarity of your source. Most smartphones these days are pretty excellent little preamps. Just don't use a 128k mp3 file like you were born in GenZ. At the very very least make sure your Spotify streams and downloads are set to "High Quality" (320k).

I feel like I am Generation A!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lol! Don't feel bad. I'm the weirdo. I grew up with an audio recording nerd father and a livingroom full of tube amps and refurbished JBL floorstanders from the golden era of HiFi. In this age of streaming music and wireless ear buds it's an expensive curse.

May you enjoy your newfound clarity and never experience audio reproduction with a minblowingly accurate soundstage.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
I feel like I am Generation A!!!
Well, I recently moved into a 100 year old house, and I put this in the "Parlor" (it was my great grandfather's)
Not my actual picture

·
Registered
205 Posts
USB gets you essentially a perfect digital signal transfer. You probably won't beat the USB sound quality with the analog Aux port... unless whatever you are plugging in is a better DAC (Digital Audio Converter) than the Uconnect.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Id say 100% of people litsten to music in their cars through an iphone , ipod etc...
Lol, you haven't met my dad...he hasn't had a cell phone for 3 years since his Nokia from 2006 died. Let alone an iPod.

When he listens to music, it's a CD or the radio.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well I guess I need to try the AUX input and CarPlay setup for myself. I will say I was a little disappointed with the HK system in my challenger since I have owned her. But then again I have been listening to Pandora over Bluetooth since the beginning and it sounds like I have been missing out a lot.
I have the HK system, 10 speaker I believe, in my Subaru and it is really great hence the reason I opted for the HK in my challenger, I have used a cable in my Subaru from the beginning not really thinking anything of it. Well who knew, I will give it try this weekend and report back on the changes . However it sounds like it should be night and day different looking forward to it finally.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just a question : what kind of music playing device would i need to plug into the aux for it to be better.

Just wondering what kind of device would have a better “DAC”?
A Digital Audio Converter translates digital music of varying quality, bitrate, and codec language to an analog signal, usually over 3.5mm jack or RCA plugs, that an amplifier can boost and send to your speakers.

A DAC that converts high bitrate "lossless" format digital songs (saved on a drive or streamed from high end services like TIDAL) to an analog signal that is "cleaner" and more powerful than the Uconnect's onboard chinese built DAC will result in better sound... with diminishing returns. Car audio can really only get so good. Cabin physics and speaker packaging limitations would become a bigger concern quickly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts