Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger 5.7 6-speed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a factory e-coated hellcat hood and been shopping to paint match TorRed and was quoted $800 at the first place. Wanted to see what you all think or been quoted on a reasonable price estimate.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,038 Posts
Doesn’t strike me as being out of line. The paint itself nowadays has become a significant cost entry on any body shop bill. Probably not gonna go back down any time soon, if ever.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The problem I ran into with getting a hood painted to match the car was 3 body shops all said they would have to blend part of the fenders to get it perfect. And If i sell the car I want to put the stock hood back on it. I had them paint it Satin Black. This way the hood will be easy to sell if I decide to sell the car. It cost me $400 for the prep and paint. Plus $50 for the custom striping.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That's a good or bad price depending on what's being done. From my experience the odds of the hood being perfect right out of the box is less than 50%.

Did your new hood come seam sealed? Some do, some don't. If not do you want it seam sealed? Seam sealing will cost $100.

The factory hood has 2 gloss levels. Top is full gloss and the underside low gloss. Do you want the shop to match that? If so, that will cost extra.

Do you want the paint to kind of match? If yes, you will be paying for tint time.

(I will tell you, without blending, the chance if an undetectable color match on that color is near zero.).

In short, if they are just going to hang the hood, mix to the color code and go full gloss on everything it's not a very good deal.

If they are tinting, seam sealing, doing a 2nd mix for the underside and taking care of any small defects, it's a great deal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I’m gonna hit a couple more shops up. If it comes down to it I’ll end up going satin black like I originally wanted If the price is better. I appreciate the comments

·
Registered
225 Posts
i will say that if you went to the store and bought all the materials to paint it yourself using decent top of the line primer, color basecoat and clear that bill would be 3-400$.so with that said i can see $800 for a good shop to do isn't that bad.the color match can be tuff on a car that has been in the sun for a couple yrs due to fading and fresh paint can look different even if color is good,but it can be done.if i was painting a hood for a buddy i prob would charge only a couple hundred but he would be buying the paint.satin black easier and cheaper

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,057 Posts
That is not bad and they will have to blend the paint for the Metallics to match properly so that is a decent price for prep, cutting in the edges etc., blending material etc., Good Price...

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
187 Posts
Hi @Onlyahemi - I was in a similar situation. Found an OEM hood currently painted black for around $480. I have billet silver and would want to go with the same color. The shop I go to told me they'd have to blend it and it would be $1000+. I didn't even go into details about underside, but this shop is pretty good as they used to do high end corvette restorations.

Going with a different color certainly helps keep costs down.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Painting a major panel such as a door, fender, deck lid or hood is an easy 700 to 1,000 bucks. If you want it done properly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the responses. Always good to hear other opinions

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
491 Posts
That sounds like a very good price. As long as they are blending it and making it look flawless so there’s no paint difference

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Painting a major panel such as a door, fender, deck lid or hood is an easy 700 to 1,000 bucks. If you want it done properly.
Yup - That's where I ended up for my 2011 "Catch Me Copper" hood. They wound up using a laser to measure the paint and then did several chip sets to get the "flop" correct. When done - it matched near perfect, and I only had the hood painted - in the off chance (not likely) I ever wanted to put the original hood back on (I want the fenders to match).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Vinyl wrap it. 200.00 if done professionally. Less than 80 if you do it yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos (including mine) on how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts