Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Gents......im new here....I just bought a 2018 Go Mango R/T 392 shaker challenger....with scat pack. nice car! but im wondering....what are the differences between the... say 2012 shaker cars and the new 2018 392 shaker cars? I cant seem to find much info? is the suspension better in the 2018 shaker cars?

another question is....the 392 shaker cars are rated at 485 HP the same as the 392 SRT cars....does the shaker induction add more HP? you think it would....more cold air.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
another question is....the 392 shaker cars are rated at 475 HP the same as the 392 SRT cars....does the shaker induction add more HP? you think it would....more cold air.
392 is rated at 485hp.

Shaker does not add HP, but probably lowers the intake air temp, which means cooler engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did not know that made any Shakers in 2012.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Praise V8....that's what I meant to say....485 HP...thanks. a lower intake temp means a denser air charge which usually means more HP. that's how cowl induction is supposed to work.

Mango 16......I took a guess on when they started to make shaker challengers....when did they start to make them? 2013? any idea what the differences are?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations on your new Scat Pack Shaker!!! You got an awesome car there. Go man go! The Scat Packs have a very stiff suspension. I would say an upgrade but others know better than I. Go man go!

·
Registered
184 Posts
They briefly produced the Challenger RT with a Shaker in 2014. I believe that only 2,000 were produced for that year and the models were limited to the 5.7-V8. Since then there has been a pretty complete overhaul of the interior and parts of the exterior. Once you drive around a little while and look, it is pretty easy to spot the differences.

Congrats on your purchase! Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Praise V8....that's what I meant to say....485 HP...thanks. a lower intake temp means a denser air charge which usually means more HP. that's how cowl induction is supposed to work.
You're overthinking the Shaker aspect. Your car makes 485 horsepower, the same as all the other 6.4's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the scoop aesthetic only, or does it actually bring air in? I was looking at a R/T Hemi Shaker on a showroom floor; the induction was through the driver's side headlight mount. I did not see what the shaker was connected to, other than a blob between it and the engine; the ducting/routing was going to take some time to look at and try to figure out.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Any gains form the cold air coming in through the scoop are negligable. The factory intake boxes (non shaker or TA) on all of the Hemi engines are actually a cold air intake with a closed box that draws cold air from the lower area of the front bumper. The CAIs for the shakers and T/As seal to the top of the hood so there really is no difference in the functional design. The Shaker scoop has a small duct that leads to the air box but the shaker scoop itself (as it was in the 70's) is actually below the boundary layer of moving air so not much is actually being funneled through the scoop. The original 1970 T/A Challenger and the 1969 A12 Roadrunners and Super Bees are the only factory cars with scoops tall enough to catch air above that boundary layer. Most hood scoops are purely aesthetic.

This article explains hood scoop science:The Straight Scoop: Exploring the Science Behind Hood Scoop Design - OnAllCylinders

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,477 Posts
They briefly produced the Challenger RT with a Shaker in 2014. I believe that only 2,000 were produced for that year and the models were limited to the 5.7-V8. Since then there has been a pretty complete overhaul of the interior and parts of the exterior. Once you drive around a little while and look, it is pretty easy to spot the differences.

Congrats on your purchase! Welcome to the club!
Yup, you got it, and I have it. >:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It does bring outside air in
I get this picture. The car I saw last weekend had ram-air from a headlight (the inboard driver's side) and the same hood scoop. I don't recall if it had the pipe from the hood scoop to the filterbox - and pretty sure it shouldn't have if you actually want the higher-pressure ram air from the headlight inlet.

So... kinda still confused. I'll go look at it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Colder intake means less fuel needed to make the same power, so maybe you'll get better gas mileage... Probably not though.

Mostly I think it is just appearance and gimmick. It is reminiscent of the classic shaker cars and appeals to that nostalgia rather than serve a fully fleshed function.

Also prior to 2015 the 392 only made 470 HP. The shaker never changed that number... All these numbers are on an engine dyno which I doubt uses the vehicle's intake so who knows, maybe it helps a little... 1 or 2 rwhp?

/Joe

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I get this picture. The car I saw last weekend had ram-air from a headlight (the inboard driver's side) and the same hood scoop. I don't recall if it had the pipe from the hood scoop to the filterbox - and pretty sure it shouldn't have if you actually want the higher-pressure ram air from the headlight inlet.

Yes that is the Hellcat cold air induction system. Pretty cool. No pun intended. There is no REAL gain from it. Not noticeable from what I read. I would do it for the cool factor. Just couldn't reach it when I was back there. There is a tube that runs to the air box. Forced air induction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks for the reply's gents....interesting....thanks

.... but to the original question.....are there any real differences between the 2014 392 scat pack shaker cars and the 2018? is the suspsension better / different on the 2018? the interiors look exactly the same to me except the radio GPS screen would be smaller on the older ones I think?

where I live theres not much to compare too....theres a 2016 392 shaker car and its identical as far as I can see....that's why im wondering about suspension

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess it depends on what you call real differences. They did a refresh of the challengers between the 2008-11 and the 2012-14 and the 2015-present. The previous ones saw a more substantial engine change for the SRT. Not sure offhand if the v6 had any substantial changes... For the current refresh the same power plant is in the shaker/scat pack and SRT as before but with a small power boost of 15HP. There was a more substantial change in the interior trim in general; dash, materials, and technology. There may have been some changes in suspension components, the old suspension had two modes (sport/street), the new one may have more. The exhaust has been enhanced at least in terms of the more aggressive sound... The exterior lighting has been changed, more led lights in the tail, marker, signals, added halos, and some other subtle changes. Backup camera and bumper warts are new in 2015... I'm sure this is anything but an exhaustive list but in terms of the drive train, the engine is the same, the transmission is different for the auto at least using the ZF 8 speed instead of the older challenger's 5 speed, the standard is still the tremec 6060 I believe but someone can correct me if I am mis-remembering that... Not sure about the rear end.

/Joe

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
thanks for the reply's gents....interesting....thanks

.... but to the original question.....are there any real differences between the 2014 392 scat pack shaker cars and the 2018? is the suspsension better / different on the 2018? the interiors look exactly the same to me except the radio GPS screen would be smaller on the older ones I think?

where I live theres not much to compare too....theres a 2016 392 shaker car and its identical as far as I can see....that's why im wondering about suspension
The 2014 Shakers were 5.7 only - they had the Super Track Pack suspension as part of the package.
STP on 5.7s put the Bilstein shocks and stiffer springs and stiffer rear sway bar (over the standard R/T 5.7 setup)

There was no 392 Shaker until the '15s came out. The 392s come standard with 4-piston Brembo brakes, Bilstein shocks and stiffer front sway bar / rear bar as part of the package.

The '14 cars had the earlier interiors - so they had 6.5" (optional) touch-screen radios - which was an entirely different setup from the '15+.
-the old radios didn't control vehicle functions (lights, heated seats) They had CD/DVD drives and built in HDD drives, but could also play video as well.

The seats look similar - keep in mind the 5.7 seats didn't have the deeper / larger bolsters as the 392s have, so that's another difference.

On the '15 - '18, they have been the same spec as far as the 5.7 Shakers.
The base R/T (cloth) gets a 5" uConnect screen for '15-'16
Base '17 - '18 R/T Shakers get the 7" uConnect
-navigation is optional with either uConnect system

R/T Plus Shakers get leather int. as standard plus 8.4" uConnect
-nav is optional

On the 392 Shakers - they're the same for '15 - '18 except:
two interior selections for '15 -'16
Standard all leather for Shaker or Alcantara/leather with SP Appearance Grp
uConnect 8.4 is std, Nav is optional

For '17 - '18
Base interior is houndstooth cloth / Alcantara/leather is optional
uConnect adds Android Auto / Apple Car Play - Nav is optional
Dynamics Package avail - adds 6 piston Brembos, 9.5" wheels w/ 275/40 tires

the '15+ models have electric p/s with a faster ratio over the earlier years.

the '14 R/Ts had electric -hydraulic p/s systems

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

Are you talking about the D.I.P.S screen? You can simply pop out the inner headlight dome and insert the DIPS or you can leave it open to supply more air to the CAI. I chose to use the DIPS to protect debris from entering the intake system and used flex tubing to direct the air directly to the CAI.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts