Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals,

I'm looking for your satisfaction rating with your Solo Exhaust for your R/T 6 speed cars. The videos on their Group Buy thread tried to show the interior and exterior sound and performance. But, would you do it again? Was there any loss or gains in low end torque, 0-60 speeds, 1/8 or 1/4 mile times? How satisfied are you with the noise level inside and outside the car? On a scale of 1-10, if a stock R/T 6 speed is a 3 for interior and exterior sound. How does your new exhaust rate on the same scale for it's interior and exterior sound? I like to listen to my music at moderate volumes and easily carry a conversation without feeling like I have to yell or raise my voice. Will this change when I install my new exhaust? Lastly, any issue with drone or resonance? I've had bad experiences with too much resonance on performance exhausts in the past and wasted too much money on those regrets. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm still on the fence with mine, I have JBA high flow cats though.

While cruising it's quiet, provided your in the right gear (higher gears, lower RPM, do better than tooling around in a lower gear with RPM held higher), and easy to listen to music or talk as it as about as quiet as stock. However, accelerating (even light-moderate) it's much louder than stock due to a resonance/drone around 1500-2000 that gets even louder if you let off and engine brake. As soon as you let off the gas to hold a steady speed (again right gear) it settles back down and is barely audible. I think the JBA high flow cats have made mine louder than others.

Initially the exhaust was rappy (think slapping hands) at WOT, but it may be going away as I get some miles on it.

In car:
Cruising: 3
Accelerating: 4 (exhaust note), 7 (resonance)
WOT: 7

1/8: set a personal best ET and mph Friday night, not huge, 8.13 @ 86.01 DA 608 ft vs 8.19 @ 84.63 DA 175 ft.). Prior best 1/8 mph was been 86.18, but it was a one hit wonder at DA -675 ft, more typical 1/8 mph was 84 to mid 85.

1/4: Will find out today.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback. Good luck on your 1/4 times today. I can't believe you're the only one who has replied so far, but the day is still early.

I'm still on the fence with mine, I have JBA high flow cats though.

While cruising it's quiet, provided your in the right gear (higher gears, lower RPM, do better than tooling around in a lower gear with RPM held higher), and easy to listen to music or talk as it as about as quiet as stock. However, accelerating (even light-moderate) it's much louder than stock due to a resonance/drone around 1500-2000 that gets even louder if you let off and engine brake. As soon as you let off the gas to hold a steady speed (again right gear) it settles back down and is barely audible. I think the JBA high flow cats have made mine louder than others.

Initially the exhaust was rappy (think slapping hands) at WOT, but it may be going away as I get some miles on it.

In car:
Cruising: 3
Accelerating: 4 (exhaust note), 7 (resonance)
WOT: 7

1/8: set a personal best ET and mph Friday night, not huge, 8.13 @ 86.01 DA 608 ft vs 8.19 @ 84.63 DA 175 ft.). Prior best 1/8 mph was been 86.18, but it was a one hit wonder at DA -675 ft, more typical 1/8 mph was 84 to mid 85.

1/4: Will find out today.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on all you R/T 6 speed purchasers, I need your thoughts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stricnine,

Congrats on your new best 1/4! In your first post you said that the resonance was a 7. That seems awful high for a product that claims to be drone free. Do you think the drone increased with your JBA cats and was mostly amplified by adding the exhaust?

1/4 results:

Best run:
12.775 @ 106.96 DA 388 ft.

Prev. best:
12.833 @ 106.66 DA 175 ft.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Stricnine,

Congrats on your new best 1/4! In your first post you said that the resonance was a 7. That seems awful high for a product that claims to be drone free. Do you think the drone increased with your JBA cats and was mostly amplified by adding the exhaust?
Yes, along with stage 1 hop not. The drone only exists when running through the gears, and is usually minimal except in a narrow RPM band when it can be annoyingly loud if held there for any length of time (like traffic slowly accelerating). If left to my own driving style it's through the band quickly. Also, as I mentioned, when cruising it is drone free in the gears I normally drive in.

I'd also add that stock exhaust was louder and droned in a similar RPM range when I also added the stage1 hop not. The rear cradle bushings run right next to the factory and aftermarket exhaust and that added a noticeable amount of exhaust drone.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it. Thanks for the quick reply. Currently, I don't have any plan to install the hop not kit, but I haven't been on the track to feel the hop yet. Maybe after CF2 and a few runs down the track I might be considering it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Saltydog said:
Come on all you R/T 6 speed purchasers, I need your thoughts.
I've only driven mine once with the exhaust on - still in the freakin middle of winter here (just got a bunch more snow yesterday).

My initial impression is that the kit itself is quite high quality from a build / fit perspective. The sound is great - as Stricnine described when accelerating it was definitely louder than mine previously was (stock + blastin bobs glasspacks) but cruising at 1500 - 1800 rpm in 6th was almost dead quiet - which is significantly different than my previous setup. At wot it is very loud, but I love that :). No idea on gains, but it most definitely "felt" torquier at 3000 in both 2nd and 3rd, in fact it lit up easily in both gears at that rpm. I will add a disclaimer though that it was -15 celcius so there wasn't much traction to be had.

Overall, I'm quite happy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am coming from a mustang with a catted x-pipe and SLP axleback (which is basically straights), so I am used to loud car at any rpm range.

With the Solo, i like how there is no drone, you can be cruising on the highway and actually talk on the phone or have a conversation, and coming from the stang, that is something I couldn't do before.

I think the Solo has a great tone to it, reminds me of a flat out 70's muscle car. Nice deep rumble, and raspy when you are at WOT. At first I will say I wish mine was a bit louder; what I mean by this is, when i ride with the windows down and get on it, i wish i could hear it a bit more inside the car, stating a presence, here comes a Challenger watch out. but when I took the videos of mine, i was surprised how much louder it was outside versus inside. As long as people know I am carrying a HEMI and can hear me I am satisfied!

Solo is working on some Hi-Flow cats, and I am sure this will make the catback a bit louder!

Fit and finish is top notch! The quality was phenomenal, I have installed a lot of exhaust in my days, and I will say this is the best I have ever put on and the easiest!

And Jeff/Steve at SOLO offer exceptional customer service. They definitely stand behind their product, and this is one reason I will go back to them time and time again!

So having said all of that:
In car:
Cruising: 9
Accelerating: 6 (exhaust note), 8 (resonance)
WOT: 8

Great exhaust that I would recommend to anyone and everyone, and would do again!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Saltydog,

I guess we may need some clarification... on the scale of 1-10... is that for sound level or how much you like the sound?

I rated mine on the sound level alone.

Speaking of which I think I would like to reduce that resonance rating from 7 to 5-6 (rear seats in), I had been doing some driving with the rear seats out and its quite a bit louder that way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stricnine,

You hit the nail on the head. I'm looking for a loudness rating on the 1-10 scale. The amount someone likes it can be really subjective, but if a stock setup is about a 3 for moderately loud then how loud is the SOLO exhaust using that scale compared to stock. Thanks for the assist.

Saltydog,

I guess we may need some clarification... on the scale of 1-10... is that for sound level or how much you like the sound?

Speaking of which I think I would like to reduce that resonance rating from 7 to 5-6 (rear seats in), I had been doing some driving with the rear seats out and its quite a bit louder that way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Saltydog,

Just FYI, my ratings are my likings

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OChallenger,

I really like the videos you made for your exhaust. Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about the resonance rating you previously listed. I can't stand resonance and if it increased the stock resonance from a 3 to a 8 with just the exhaust then this exhaust definitely wouldn't be for me. Thanks again.

Just FYI, my ratings are my likings

·
Registered
852 Posts
It's kind of hard to explain an exhaust system in words.

This exhaust is loud when you want it to be. In other words cruising, there is no drone. but giving it throttle and down shifting you can hear it, and (imo) this is what you want.

Give a great tone, and even better when you mash the pedal!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would like to resurrect this old thread. Any more opinions from rt 6 speeders with the solo catback without the j-pipes? I just bought a used system and can't wait to get it installed after winter.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I dig my Solo!:headbang2:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the stock is pretty loud already when you get on it. Although I have the Mopar intake/T/A hood system....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts