Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having to run in sport mode all the time, because the transmission is up shifting when it shouldn't, and not downshifting when it should. It will shift up to 7th gear doing 45 MPH. When I let off the accelerator pedal, it will stay in 6th gear down to 20 MPH. Default mode should operated the same as sport mode, but at a lower RPM threshold. That's how my 2016 Challenger A8 operated. When letting off the gas, the transmission should downshift commensurate with speed/RPM.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
So, if you are not in auto-stick mode while this is happening, you need to take it back to the dealership. No way is this right.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
I assume you don't have it in ECO mode.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if you are not in auto-stick mode while this is happening, you need to take it back to the dealership. No way is this right.
I took it back to the dealership today. Same thing... No code = No dice! No TCM update - No dice! I insisted that they address the issue, to which replied; "If you leave the car here, we will take another look at it." I told them that I will not leave the car, and requested an appointment. He said they will likely need to upgrade to "star" level service, which I assume is factory direct support. If they need me to leave the car; per the recommendation of the star level technician, I will do so. Not a single person asked to take the car out, so that they can experience the issue for themselves. If I were a tech, that would be the first step in approaching the issue.

Note: I'm dealing with an alternate dealership than the one I purchased it from. Is there any reason why I should be dealing with the dealership where I purchased it? I prefer the one I'm dealing with now.

I assume you don't have it in ECO mode.
"Eco mode" is when 4 cyl MDS activates. This is a shifting issue, not an MDS issue.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
For some reason I was under the impression ECO mode also affected shifting.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
You do know you can put the gear indicator on the dashboard... And the speedo at the top so you can use the middle for something else. I got sea sick watching that
Personally I don't see any issue at all, if you hit the gas it downshifts and goes. My Charger and my Challenger seem the same.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You do know you can put the gear indicator on the dashboard... And the speedo at the top so you can use the middle for something else. I got sea sick watching that
Personally I don't see any issue at all, if you hit the gas it downshifts and goes. My Charger and my Challenger seem the same.
Thanks for the tip! As for the rest of your comment...

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For some reason I was under the impression ECO mode also affected shifting.
Eco mode does not (should not) affect the shifting routine. The only time shifting is augmented, is via Sport Mode. MDS shuts-down 4 x cylinders, that's it.

I was nearly hit, because I couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Imagine doing to 27 MPH with the transmission stuck in 5th gear, and needing immediate power... I was nearly hit by a driver who blew through in intersection. When I hit the gas to move, the engine (of course) bogged. Had he not swerved at the last second, he would have hit me. Not only is this not correct, it is flat-out dangerous!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Eco mode does not (should not) affect the shifting routine. The only time shifting is augmented, is via Sport Mode. MDS shuts-down 4 x cylinders, that's it.

I was nearly hit, because I couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Imagine doing to 27 MPH with the transmission stuck in 5th gear, and needing immediate power... I was nearly hit by a driver who blew through in intersection. When I hit the gas to move, the engine (of course) bogged. Had he not swerved at the last second, he would have hit me. Not only is this not correct, it is flat-out dangerous!
Does sport mode even affect shifting other than a more sensitive throttle? I looked for driver demand modes in the Transmission using HP Tuners only to find nothing.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Does sport mode even affect shifting other than a more sensitive throttle? I looked for driver demand modes in the Transmission using HP Tuners only to find nothing.
I don't use mods, but I don't believe shift point changes are possible. Not that I've seen anyway. Sport Mode affects RPM duration between shifts. i.e. It lets each gear "wind-out" more before shifting to the next gear. As far as down-shifting goes, both routines should be similar if not identical. That's how my 2016 Challenger R/T was. It up-shifted quicker in Normal (default) Mode, but the down-shifting routine was similar to Sport Mode.

A lot of the "my other car is a Prius" Challenger owners were whining about the Normal Mode down-shift routine, so Mopar changed it. I believe this happened in 2016? IMO, not giving Mopar owners the choice of shift routines is a fail by Mopar.

I spoke with a transmission shop yesterday. I was told that the shift patterns are controlled via throttle position. I would expect it to be via RPM... Maybe it's a combination of the two? In any regard, he said that what I described is not normal for any automatic transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Thanks for the tip! ...
Yeah, the dash is very customizable. Personally I keep MPH, center top, then maybe clock and temp to the sides.
Added in full PRNDL and current gear indicator. And I typically keep the economy gauge in the middle with dist remaining turned on, unless I'm playing around in all of the gauges. When I do it is either checking tire pressures, or playing with the g-forces.

Thanks for the tip! As for the rest of your comment...
Hey, if we all agreed on everything, we could just write everything on the forums ourselves and read it back to ourselves, right?

Reactions: 68Coronet

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, the dash is very customizable. Personally I keep MPH, center top, then maybe clock and temp to the sides.
Added in full PRNDL and current gear indicator. And I typically keep the economy gauge in the middle with dist remaining turned on, unless I'm playing around in all of the gauges. When I do it is either checking tire pressures, or playing with the g-forces.
View attachment 1012719

Hey, if we all agreed on everything, we could just write everything on the forums ourselves and read it back to ourselves, right?
(y) Agreed.

How did you get the MPH on the left side of your screen? Mine doesn't seem to have that option, nor do I see a way to display the gear numbers. ???

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
(y) Agreed.

How did you get the MPH on the left side of your screen? Mine doesn't seem to have that option, nor do I see a way to display the gear numbers. ???
It's buried pretty good. Let me peruse the manual.
PDF is searchable!
A
H, NOT in the uConnect screen, but in the "Screen Setup" part of the center cluster options

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
• Speedometer
• Performance — If Equipped
• Vehicle Info
• Driver Assist — If Equipped
• Fuel Economy
• Trip
• Audio
1. Upper Left
• Compass
• Outside Temp.
• Time
• Range to Empty (default)
• Average (MPG, L/100 km, or km/l)
• Current (MPG, L/100 km, or km/l)
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• None
2. Upper Right
• Compass
• Outside Temp (default)
• Time
• Range to Empty
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• None
3. Center
• Menu Title (default)
• Compass
• Outside Temp.
• Time
• Range to Empty
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• Audio Information
• Digital Speed
• None
4. Current Gear
• On
• Off (default)
5. Odometer
• Show (default)
• Hide
6. Gear Display
• Full (default)
• Single
7. Restore Defaults
• Ok
• Cancel

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I took a 2020 R/T 50th for a ride today, so that I could compare its Normal Mode shift routine to mine... The one I test-drove shifted perfectly! At no time did I feel the need to switch to Sport Mode. Mine is clearly not functioning properly.

What I want done is for Dodge to reset/flash the PCM, TCM, throttle calibration and whatever else to factory specs. If that doesn't work, there's obviously something going on with the transmission. I'm also not leaving my car at the dealership, until they can tell me what the problem is and how they're going to rectify it.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
• Speedometer
• Vehicle Info
• Fuel Economy
• Trip
• Audio
1. Upper Left

• Time
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• None
2. Upper Right
• Compass
• Outside Temp (default)
• Time
• Range to Empty
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• None
3. Center
• Menu Title (default)
• Compass
• Outside Temp.
• Time
• Range to Empty
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• Audio Information
• Digital Speed
• None
4. Current Gear
• On
• Off (default)
5. Odometer
• Show (default)
• Hide
6. Gear Display
• Full (default)
• Single
7. Restore Defaults
• Ok
• Cancel
What I have selected on mine is

1. Upper Left
• Time

2. Upper Right
• Compass

3. Center

• Digital Speed
4. Current Gear
• On

5. Odometer
• Show (default)

6. Gear Display
• Full (default)

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
• Speedometer
• Vehicle Info
• Fuel Economy
• Trip
• Audio
1. Upper Left
• Compass
• Outside Temp.
• Time
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• None
2. Upper Right
• Compass
• Outside Temp (default)
• Time
• Range to Empty
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• None
3. Center
• Menu Title (default)
• Compass
• Outside Temp.
• Time
• Range to Empty
• Trip A Distance
• Trip B Distance
• Audio Information
• Digital Speed
• None
4. Current Gear
• On
• Off (default)
5. Odometer
• Show (default)
• Hide
6. Gear Display
• Full (default)
• Single
7. Restore Defaults
• Ok
• Cancel
Mine doesn't seem to have selections 4 5 6 or 7. I believe my 2016 R/T had these options. Should my car have them?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to have selections 4 5 6 or 7. I believe my 2016 R/T had these options. Should my car have them?
No idea, my 2015 Charger R/T Road and Track edition with Super Track Pack did, and this is a 2018 Scat Pack.
It was page 99-101 of the 2018 manual.

Reactions: 68Coronet
1 - 20 of 56 Posts