Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 SXT and took a test drive in a 2019 R/T with 10,000 miles on it ( Only R/T I have driven) and weather in Sport mode or normal mode when you stomp on it I was really surprised at the lag or almost bog and what sounded like a little pop then it finally started to pick up, somewhat disappointed, is this normal for an R/T? Now I did test a 2017 Scat Pack and it was spot on!!! Literally my SXT Plus in Sport mode has a much quicker response and I could almost say I could beat that R/T as it just felt like a slug.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds not right. Perhaps there is something wrong with that R/T - what did salseman say?

Get a scat though! If you can afford it! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds not right. Perhaps there is something wrong with that R/T - what did salseman say?

Get a scat though! If you can afford it! :)
Thanks for the response!! That's what I thought too!! I didn't mention it to him as he low balled me on my car so I just let it go! I wanted a Scat but it's just a little out of range and I thought I could just wait till next year to get the Scat but my car has 65000 miles on it and it's such a great car but I know the value will go down as I drive it to work 70 miles round trip each day so I started looking at R/T's but it was such a disappointment with the response time especially after driving 485 Horsepower in the Scat and I had heard there was a slight delay with the 8 speed but this was not what I expected out of 375 horsepower..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Something not right with that one... keep looking.
Get a scat You won’t be disappointed.

some folks say pulling a fuse for15 min will reset some of the settings on the pcm and ‘wake it up’.

a new throttle body also helps with response.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Something not right with that one... keep looking.
Get a scat You won’t be disappointed.

some folks say pulling a fuse for15 min will reset some of the settings on the pcm and ‘wake it up’.

a new throttle body also helps with response.
A fuse pull will reset the adaptive full trim table - agree this definitely will allow the car to run in open loop for a while - max torque based on pedal position.

However, a new throttle body will not help with response. The only way this may help with response is if you have a throttle body with a substantial amount of build-up on it. Bigger throttle bodies are only necessary if you were to do a massive mod such as SC.

OP - yeah just avoid that R/T. Also the Scat Pack and the R/T have the same A8 transmission when equipped. Save for the scat!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses and that's probably what I will do is just save more money for the Scat as it's just a whole different car!!!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
You sure TC is disabled? My RT does not have STP but it has a Sport Mode and Traction Control button. If I don't disable Traction Control and have a hint of wheel spin it will sputter/hesitate.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
I have a 2013 SXT and took a test drive in a 2019 R/T with 10,000 miles on it ( Only R/T I have driven) and weather in Sport mode or normal mode when you stomp on it I was really surprised at the lag or almost bog and what sounded like a little pop then it finally started to pick up, somewhat disappointed, is this normal for an R/T? Now I did test a 2017 Scat Pack and it was spot on!!! Literally my SXT Plus in Sport mode has a much quicker response and I could almost say I could beat that R/T as it just felt like a slug.
The engine controller constantly adapts to various inputs and does so very quickly. So the behavior suggests something else.

A used car can be traded in with cheap/stale gasoline. The owner will get "cheap" with the car and fuel with something less than the best octane. Then after a while cheap turns to neglect and the car gets parked. Finally a decision is made and car is sold/traded in. So the car goes with questionable gasoline in its tank. The dealer (in this case) is not going to drain and refill the gas tank with fresh gasoline. As long as the engine starts and runs reasonably well -- if it doesn't "they all do that" is the standard refrain -- the dealer will not bother.

A 2019 with 10K miles suggests the car got driven more than just a few miles a day. But one never knows. Could be the engine could due for not only fresh gasoline of the correct octane rating but also a dose or two of Techron to remove fuel system/engine deposits.

(Just a tank of Chevron Supreme gasoline in one of my previous cars that was fed a steady diet of Shell V-Power had the engine running markedly better -- especially at low end -- before the entire tank of Supreme was even used up.)

Still while the behavior can be "explained" it does suggest that maybe the car is not the car you are looking for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sure TC is disabled? My RT does not have STP but it has a Sport Mode and Traction Control button. If I don't disable Traction Control and have a hint of wheel spin it will sputter/hesitate.
TC was on and I never disable it in my SXT Plus before hitting Sport Mode but I'm not laying rubber with it, I usally hit it when I'm rolling around a 20 roll but even with Sport mode off, it did the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine controller constantly adapts to various inputs and does so very quickly. So the behavior suggests something else.

A used car can be traded in with cheap/stale gasoline. The owner will get "cheap" with the car and fuel with something less than the best octane. Then after a while cheap turns to neglect and the car gets parked. Finally a decision is made and car is sold/traded in. So the car goes with questionable gasoline in its tank. The dealer (in this case) is not going to drain and refill the gas tank with fresh gasoline. As long as the engine starts and runs reasonably well -- if it doesn't "they all do that" is the standard refrain -- the dealer will not bother.

A 2019 with 10K miles suggests the car got driven more than just a few miles a day. But one never knows. Could be the engine could due for not only fresh gasoline of the correct octane rating but also a dose or two of Techron to remove fuel system/engine deposits.

(Just a tank of Chevron Supreme gasoline in one of my previous cars that was fed a steady diet of Shell V-Power had the engine running markedly better -- especially at low end -- before the entire tank of Supreme was even used up.)

Still while the behavior can be "explained" it does suggest that maybe the car is not the car you are looking for.
Yeah good point but you are rite and for the price, it's not the car for me.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
TC was on and I never disable it in my SXT Plus before hitting Sport Mode but I'm not laying rubber with it, I usally hit it when I'm rolling around a 20 roll but even with Sport mode off, it did the same thing.
Sport mode just changes pedal feel and trans shift characterists. TC on the other hand will cause torque management to kick in and it doesn't need wheel spin to do it. The other day I was pulling out of the gas station and forgot to disable TC, hammered the throttle (no wheel spin) and the engine fell on its face and was sputtering until I let off the gas.

It could be you are experiencing knock when you get on it...what octane you running?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sport mode just changes pedal feel and trans shift characterists. TC on the other hand will cause torque management to kick in and it doesn't need wheel spin to do it. The other day I was pulling out of the gas station and forgot to disable TC, hammered the throttle (no wheel spin) and the engine fell on its face and was sputtering until I let off the gas.

It could be you are experiencing knock when you get on it...what octane you running?
It's not mine I was test driving it and thinking about trading mine in and while never driving an R/T, I wasn't sure if what I experienced with the lag was normal but to me it wasn't or shouldn't be in a car like that then they made me a ridicules offer on mine way below the actual cash value and I love mine to much to give it away so I didn't even mention to them about how it drove. I don't know what octane level they had in it.Dodge dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts