Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I can put on some bigger discs and such but after thinking things through I think my best bet is replace the rotors and pads with the stock size. I am looking to get your input about which rotors and pads you would recommend I change to. I want the car to stop better and the looks of the rotors are important too. Please let me know what you are running and why. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd like this info too. Im stuffing big fat tires in back and really don't / won't have room for bigger brakes, but would like to go with something higher end and good looks....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Seriously? This site has more knowledge about these cars then I thought possible. Someone must have some brake info for us!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I recently replaced my original pads and rotors, HUGE difference in bite. Before the change my wife's Honda Pilot had more responsive brakes (Less pedal pressure needed) and now when I drive the Pilot I feel like the brakes are barely working. :lol:

I tossed a write-up on the web.

Tech: Replacing pads and rotors on a 2011 Challenger R/T - Fast Mopars

The only caveat is that the Bluestuff NDX pads will be noisy initially and aren't likely to ever be 100% quiet, but after a few hundred miles and bedding the brakes they're actually virtually silent on my car now. There's only a slight high-pitched squeal here and there under light braking and I'll take that as a worthy compromise for brakes that will bite hard enough to peel the pavement off the road. ;)

If you just want a better pad for the street then you'd probably be better off with the EBC Yellowstuff instead of Bluestuff, which is more of a racing pad that can be used on the street.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just recently put on EBC dimpled and slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads and I defiantly feel more stopping power and they look awesome. One major downside to the rotors that I bought is that because of the dimples, it makes a noise just driving down the road. It drives me crazy but that could just be me because people who I have rode with don't think its bad at all.

I have thought about selling them... I bought them and paid around $550 or so + shipping but if you want I will sell them to you for $400 + shipping. They have maybe 1000 miles on them of light braking due to the whole brake in period deal. PM me if your interested.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I just recently put on EBC dimpled and slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads and I defiantly feel more stopping power and they look awesome. One major downside to the rotors that I bought is that because of the dimples, it makes a noise just driving down the road. It drives me crazy but that could just be me because people who I have rode with don't think its bad at all.

I have thought about selling them... I bought them and paid around $550 or so + shipping but if you want I will sell them to you for $400 + shipping. They have maybe 1000 miles on them of light braking due to the whole brake in period deal. PM me if your interested.
Are you talking about the slight buzzing sound? Hard to explain, sounds almost like the chain on a motorcycle when you roll it with the engine off. I have that, too, but it's getting better and I can only hear it with the windows down and only if there's something for the sound to bounce off of, like another vehicle or the center divider on the freeway. That's a non-issue for me personally, the initial squealing had me questioning my decision though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you talking about the slight buzzing sound? Hard to explain, sounds almost like the chain on a motorcycle when you roll it with the engine off. I have that, too, but it's getting better and I can only hear it with the windows down and only if there's something for the sound to bounce off of, like another vehicle or the center divider on the freeway. That's a non-issue for me personally, the initial squealing had me questioning my decision though.
Yup that's it! It may just be a tad bit of OCD kicking in but I don't like it at all. I'm always riding around with my windows down in the summer and I want to hear my engine not my brakes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Guys you can get a full set of dimpled & slotted rotors (zinc plated), free std pads, free shipping and life time warranty from Brake Performance for under $400. Go to drilled and slotted and your under $300. $80 extra gets you premium semi metallic pads for all 4 corners. They have options from std rotors, premium std, slotted, drilled, drilled/slotted and dimpled/slotted.

I have the Serious Metal big brake kit on my Challenger with their 14" rotors/pads and have had 0 issues. I ran them at the Texas Mile at 153.9 and basically did panic stops. Still no issues.

There are many other options out there for rotors and pads....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Guys you can get a full set of dimpled & slotted rotors (zinc plated), free std pads, free shipping and life time warranty from Brake Performance for under $400. Go to drilled and slotted and your under $300. $80 extra gets you premium semi metallic pads for all 4 corners. They have options from std rotors, premium std, slotted, drilled, drilled/slotted and dimpled/slotted.

I have the Serious Metal big brake kit on my Challenger with their 14" rotors/pads and have had 0 issues. I ran them at the Texas Mile at 153.9 and basically did panic stops. Still no issues.

There are many other options out there for rotors and pads....
Wow well it looks like i did not do enough bargin hunting. :ugh:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Glad that this thread came up, especially about the "noise" issue with the slotted/dimpled rotors. I was thinking about going slotted/dimpled just for the looks, when the originals give up.

I'm not hard on brakes anymore. My R/TC has just shy of 34k miles, stock rotors and pads, and no issues at all. They've always felt fine to me.

Now if I was "tracking" my Challenger, yes, a major upgrade would have to be considered. Can't have too much braking for road coursing.

Very interesting comments about the added noise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kit from Summit

Thinking of getting this kit for my 12 R/T
2012 DODGE CHALLENGER Power Stop 1-Click Street Warrior Z26 Brake Kits K2853-26

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Thinking of getting this kit for my 12 R/T
2012 DODGE CHALLENGER Power Stop 1-Click Street Warrior Z26 Brake Kits K2853-26
That's not a bad price for a full kit, but I'm stuck thinking you get what you pay for. The rotors from Brake Performance have a lifetime warranty against defects, cracking and warping. The kit you posted has a 3yr/36k mile warranty, not sure what all it covers, though.

I also wouldn't suggest going with cross-drilled rotors due to the potential for cracking, I'd go with slotted and dimpled at the most.

I think it was around $600 for my rotors and pads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you to all who have posted. It was good for me to know about the different sounds the slot and drilled rotors can give. It also sounds like I need to be looking closely at the warranty for the rotors. Thank you so much for your time and information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts