Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Shaker 5.7 6-speed has performance brakes. What is the difference between these and standard brakes?
I also, at some point, will do the Brembo conversion.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Different pads and maybe more pucks?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Different pad material and rear rotors are vented

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
What year R/T do you have?

Before 2015, all with M6 got the BR6 brakes which show on the equipment listing as HD Brakes. The standard R/T automatic without Super Track Pack got the BR5 Performance Brakes. So not sure what you have but may just be the standard R/T brakes.

If BR6, the front rotors are same diameter but thicker.

All rear R/T rotors are vented, only the base SXT with 18 inch wheels use solid rotors.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year R/T do you have?

Before 2015, all with M6 got the BR6 brakes which show on the equipment listing as HD Brakes. The standard R/T automatic without Super Track Pack got the BR5 Performance Brakes. So not sure what you have but may just be the standard R/T brakes.

If BR6, the front rotors are same diameter but thicker.

All rear R/T rotors are vented, only the base SXT with 18 inch wheels use solid rotors.

2016 shaker +, with HD brakes, super track pack

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
2016 shaker +, with HD brakes, super track pack

Did you pull the build sheet or equipment listing? I'm curious if it says Performance or HD Brakes.

Reactions: speed

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you pull the build sheet or equipment listing? I'm curious if it says Performance or HD Brakes.

Just pulled build sheet again. Says high performance brakes

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Just pulled build sheet again. Says high performance brakes

That should be the BR6 brakes, glad to see them still using them.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That should be the BR6 brakes, glad to see them still using them.

Are rotors larger diameter as well or just thicker? Any difference in calipers? Still would like to upgrade to the 4 or 6 piston brembo.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Are rotors larger diameter as well or just thicker? Any difference in calipers? Still would like to upgrade to the 4 or 6 piston brembo.

Just thicker in the front with different pads front and rear as said, that's it, calipers are the same. Brembos would be expensive mainly due to the spindles being different and they list for $700 and you need all four so very expensive. There's a Mopar kit to convert the front brakes to the Police 14.5" brakes and much cheaper.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
These brakes look like standard on 5.7L Shaker but optional on 5.7L T/A, it's a $295 option called High Performance Brake Pads.

Here's that Mopar brake kit, the second one down for $795.

p/n P5160035AB

·
Registered
412 Posts
Colin, when I built my 2012 RT new with Super Track Pack, I researched the high performance brakes. As far as I know, they are just upgraded pads, and the calipers are basically the same as the six cylinder.

I'm researching bolt on big brake kits right now, and I'm down to a Wilwood caliper based kit from TCE Performance, or a Stoptech kit. Either one I can leave the RT spindles, so I'm looking to do it that way since the SRT spindles are expensive. Plus I'm sure they are tough to replace if you have many miles on the car.

I'm interested to hear from anyone on the forum who has done the Wilwood or Stoptech, what is the difference in build quality and stopping power with their calipers/pistons?

I'm leaning towards Stoptech after watching their shop tour video. Calipers are forged, then machined, and each one tested before leaving factory. They look to be high quality machining, but I'd like to hear from people who have done the switch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Colin FYI, my Super Track Pack RT came with yellow Bilstein shock absorbers, same as the SRT for that year. I don't know if your 2015 got the Bilstein shocks also?

After I bought the car I wanted to replace the factory lug nuts, so I ordered some Gorilla nuts from Speedlogix. While talking with Mikey about some possible suspension upgrades, he told me to look at my shocks. Some RT's came with Bilsteins, some without. I got the yellow Bilsteins like the SRT, plus the same Goodyear tires as the SRT, and 20 x8 rims. Score!

I don't know if the Chrome clad 20 x 8 rims will clear the aftermarket big brake calipers, so I'm looking for some SRT rims.

STP was a bargain for about $1000 more to the price of the car. Also have Sport Mode button on the dash, so I can turn off traction control like SRT. Super Track Pack was a total bargain in 2012. I like the springs as is, because the car is not lowered and I can cruise over a dead skunk or raccoon, so I didn't go with SRT springs, which would lower the car. I don't like a lowered car when driving in rural areas.

Anyway hope you enjoy the STP as much as I do, it was well worth the extra money when ordering, and I wouldn't suggest anyone to order a new RT without it.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Colin FYI, my Super Track Pack RT came with yellow Bilstein shock absorbers, same as the SRT for that year. I don't know if your 2015 got the Bilstein shocks also?

After I bought the car I wanted to replace the factory lug nuts, so I ordered some Gorilla nuts from Speedlogix. While talking with Mikey about some possible suspension upgrades, he told me to look at my shocks. Some RT's came with Bilsteins, some without. I got the yellow Bilsteins like the SRT, plus the same Goodyear tires as the SRT, and 20 x8 rims. Score!

I don't know if the Chrome clad 20 x 8 rims will clear the aftermarket big brake calipers, so I'm looking for some SRT rims.

STP was a bargain for about $1000 more to the price of the car. Also have Sport Mode button on the dash, so I can turn off traction control like SRT. Super Track Pack was a total bargain in 2012. I like the springs as is, because the car is not lowered and I can cruise over a dead skunk or raccoon, so I didn't go with SRT springs, which would lower the car. I don't like a lowered car when driving in rural areas.

Anyway hope you enjoy the STP as much as I do, it was well worth the extra money when ordering, and I wouldn't suggest anyone to order a new RT without it.
Yep mine has yellow bilsteins, 20x9 rims, performance suspension, lower ride height. Love this car so far. It is a 2016. Had 16k miles on her when got it, now 18k. Long tube kooks, knock offs on the way. My only complaint is a suspension noise or exhaust noise on the left rear while hitting sharp bumps. I thought it was the exhaust hitting the body so removed the springs from tail pipe coupler and replaced with tubing so it could be tighten up, seemed to help but still have noise, not as bad so just not sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep mine has yellow bilsteins, 20x9 rims, performance suspension, lower ride height. Love this car so far. It is a 2016. Had 16k miles on her when got it, now 18k. Long tube kooks, knock offs on the way. My only complaint is a suspension noise or exhaust noise on the left rear while hitting sharp bumps. I thought it was the exhaust hitting the body so removed the springs from tail pipe coupler and replaced with tubing so it could be tighten up, seemed to help but still have noise, not as bad so just not sure.

FYI, there are a few variants of Bilsteins available on the Challengers, and the ones on the STP are different than the ones on the SRT models, to my knowledge.

The SRT Models have adjustable semi-active Bilstein ADS dampers, whereas the STP comes with passive Bilstein dampers. They're still fantastic shocks and I love mine (just picked up a 2015 R/T with STP!!), but not the same as the SRT ones.

I used to work for Bilstein so I always chime in when I can haha, didn't want anyone to be confused.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Enduer ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Enduer

·
Registered
412 Posts
Enduer- "The SRT Models have adjustable semi-active Bilstein ADS dampers, whereas the STP comes with passive Bilstein dampers."

What is a semi-active ADS damper? Does the SRT Bilstein shock have a microchip? Define please.

What does "ADS" stand for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Enduer- "The SRT Models have adjustable semi-active Bilstein ADS dampers, whereas the STP comes with passive Bilstein dampers."

What is a semi-active ADS damper? Does the SRT Bilstein shock have a microchip? Define please.

What does "ADS" stand for?

Hey! Sure, no problem.

So a "semi-active" damper just means one that is adjustable electronically/automatically. Active dampers are ones that can raise or lower at will. Think magic body control on the Mercedes S-Class (
)

ADS is the in-house name Bilstein uses for some of their adjustable dampers. It stands for Adjustable Damping System. Or something in German, since they're a German company. I honestly can't remember haha.

The above photo is a set of SRT Challenger dampers. See the thing I circled in red? That's the ADS module. It essentially has some valves that open and close inside of it that allows the shock to adjust compression/rebound in 4 different settings: soft/soft, hard/soft, soft/hard, hard/hard respectively.

The wire runs from the shock to the car's computer and it adjusts things accordingly based on the mode you're in. The shocks themselves don't have any sort of computer chips or anything, they just react to the electricity input from the car.

Hopefully that makes sense!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts